BitTorrent Sync: Best wireless phone to desktop transfer I've found

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Every now and then someone asks what's the best way to transfer files, documents, photos from their phone to their desktop PC (this one works both ways). My definition of best means no cables, few screen taps and over Wi-Fi. I walk into the room where the PC is running, I want to quickly transfer the 5 photos I took earlier, go to Gallery, Album, select images, then tap on Share ... choose Add to Sync, transfers begin immediately and within seconds the image appears on my desktop. Similarly, you drag and drop a file to the designated folder on the desktop and the file appears on the phone app. So convenient and no fuss. Oh, it's free too with no ads: https://getsync.com/

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
This is the slickest file transfer/sync app I have ever used on any platform. Thanks for the heads-up

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
To use this do I have to download the app to my laptop as well as the phone ?

Yes. Before discovering SYNC I used AirDroid then switched to AirMore including half a dozen others that I evaluated but didn't last 5 minutes. I stopped using AirDroid and AirMore because 1) they were overkill and unnecessarily complex for my simple needs 2) both blue-screened my desktop running Windows 7 causing me to lose unsaved work more times than I could count.

Last edited:

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
And when you set up on your various devices use the same Name. I don't know if this is strictly necessary but it works.

That's right. You can use any device name you want and it works. When it comes to folder names, you can set up multiple folders for different uses or just one folder where everything goes into.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had seen this before I uninstalled it. I couldn't figure it out. This might be why lol

I too was confused by the lack of use instruction, but the real issue is that it is so darn simple that I was over thinking how to use it. I found that using the same name on all of my PC and Android devices and then just drilling down through the menu pages got you where you needed to be. Actually, very straight forward once you have tried it.

JanShim

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I too was confused by the lack of use instruction, but the real issue is that it is so darn simple that I was over thinking how to use it. I found that using the same name on all of my PC and Android devices and then just drilling down through the menu pages got you where you needed to be. Actually, very straight forward once you have tried it.

SYNC is unbelievably simple and straightforward that I, like you, over thought things more than once. Being a techy I tried tweaking the Power User Preferences and made a mess of it. I was trying to make Sync to work faster than instant, and I ended up needing a reinstall it in order to start over.

3 steps to getting SYNC up and running ...

1. Install SYNC app on desktop
2. Install SYNC mobile app on smartphone (assign any device name of your choice when prompted)
3. On desktop, create a folder, set permission, scan QR code using mobile app and you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
3 steps to getting SYNC up and running ...

1. Install SYNC app on desktop
2. Install SYNC mobile app on smartphone (assign any device name of your choice when prompted)
3. On desktop, create a folder, set permission, scan QR code using mobile app and you're done.

You may wish to also mention that you have to load a QR code reading app on the Android device. The use of QR codes is a very nice touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanran21