Backup and Restore Manager Data Usage!!!

StroDroid

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My last data cycle, I ran out of data really quick. I usually have plenty and so I haven't paid attention in the past. So looking at my data usage by app, I noticed the "Android OS" used 1.7 GB that month! That was more than half of my data usage. I've done a little research into the matter as I'll explain below, I'll then need some help where to go from there. My phone is a Galaxy Note 5 running 6.0.1. Provider is Verizon.

Here's my month data report:

SmartSelectImage_2016-08-02-19-46-14.jpg

1.7GB out of 3.3GB! And pretty constant throughout the month.

I read alot of suggestions online . . . disable Google synch, etc. None of these seemed to help and data was continued to be pulled. I then read about the "My Data Manager" app and started using is. It gave me more info about what aspect of the Android OS was pulling the data. After just an hour, it was fairly clear:

SmartSelectImage_2016-08-02-19-45-02.jpg

"Backup and Restore Manager". It has used 2.01GB of data since April, but has really started using data, as seen above, in the last month. This seems to have started when I upgraded to MM, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure what I can do about this. I called Samsung support, their's was the great solution that I can turn off my data when I'm not using it. That's all they had for me. Well no kidding. I can also turn off the phone when I don't need it as well.

Any ideas what I can do about the "Backup and Restore Manager"? I have the option to "Force Stop", but that doesn't seem to stop it because it's a system app. It shows that it's stopped, but the Data Manager will still show additional data being used by that app after the fact. So it's not stopped.

Also, perhaps there's a patch forthcoming fixing this? I can't be the only one, or if I am, I should be able to fix it.

Thanks!

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For apps like Google Photos, you can set them to backup/sync only on WiFi. May not be the source of your problem, but suggest looking at apps you have installed that can backup/sync to cloud storage or similar sources. If they have an option to set to WiFi only, that may be a way to reduce the mobile data usage.

StroDroid

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Yes, anything that can be done over WiFi is set as such, and indeed it is working right. Photos are on WiFi and when charging, and it hits my WiFi for a GB or two whenever that's true, which I'm fine with. It is also labeled as "Photos" on the data usage.

No, "Backup and Restore Manager" is a new system app with marshmellow, or at least modified with this os. Does anyone know anything about this app and how to change it or disable it?

Posted via the Android Central App

hayleyscomett

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
My last data cycle, I ran out of data really quick. I usually have plenty and so I haven't paid attention in the past. So looking at my data usage by app, I noticed the "Android OS" used 1.7 GB that month! That was more than half of my data usage. I've done a little research into the matter as I'll explain below, I'll then need some help where to go from there. My phone is a Galaxy Note 5 running 6.0.1. Provider is Verizon.

Here's my month data report:

View attachment 233937

1.7GB out of 3.3GB! And pretty constant throughout the month.

I read alot of suggestions online . . . disable Google synch, etc. None of these seemed to help and data was continued to be pulled. I then read about the "My Data Manager" app and started using is. It gave me more info about what aspect of the Android OS was pulling the data. After just an hour, it was fairly clear:

View attachment 233938

"Backup and Restore Manager". It has used 2.01GB of data since April, but has really started using data, as seen above, in the last month. This seems to have started when I upgraded to MM, but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure what I can do about this. I called Samsung support, their's was the great solution that I can turn off my data when I'm not using it. That's all they had for me. Well no kidding. I can also turn off the phone when I don't need it as well.

Any ideas what I can do about the "Backup and Restore Manager"? I have the option to "Force Stop", but that doesn't seem to stop it because it's a system app. It shows that it's stopped, but the Data Manager will still show additional data being used by that app after the fact. So it's not stopped.

Also, perhaps there's a patch forthcoming fixing this? I can't be the only one, or if I am, I should be able to fix it.

Thanks!

I have the exact same issue with my galaxy s5. I too just got the my data manager app and found this post because I googled backup and restore manager using data! If there is a solution to this I would definitely like to know!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance