Unload Media from Broken Note 5

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Have a note 5 with a broken, non functional screen. The blue led is constantly lit in the top left corner.

It seems I can plug the phone in, charge it, and turn the phone off as well.

I tried to connect it to the PC but it only connects as a USB Modem.

I didnt have a security lock, but I spoke with ATT and they stated that the swipe lock is just as much as a security than a password lock.

I have read things about being able to HDMI the screen to a TV to make unload the photos and etc off of it, but at this point dont have those parts available, but can if it may help.

If anyone has any tips for me that would be great, I really really REALLY would like to unload my photos off of the phone if at all humanly possible, thanks!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if the phone is actually powering on? Does it make any sounds or vibration when you power it on? You said that you can plug it in, charge it, and turn it off--are you only referring to the charging battery icon that appears on the screen when plugged in? That icon only shows up when the phone is completely powered off. If the phone won't actually power on, then you won't be able to get the photos no matter what you do.

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you know if the phone is actually powering on? Does it make any sounds or vibration when you power it on? You said that you can plug it in, charge it, and turn it off--are you only referring to the charging battery icon that appears on the screen when plugged in? That icon only shows up when the phone is completely powered off. If the phone won't actually power on, then you won't be able to get the photos no matter what you do.

The phone acts as if it's powering on. The screen is totally broken and unable to see anything, just black. I can power down the phone, and turn it back on. When on and connected to a PC it connects but only as a USB Modem Device. There are however no sounds or vibrations, which, is what the phone was on when it broken. The volume up and down however does not control the volume, but the phone also has the swipe screen which would have to be activated to turn the volume up and or down as well.

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Very good post...Just a few questions...

If and when the screen would swipe up and unlock, would I then DC the mouse and plug it into the PC to hopefully access as a media device...or would I need to know what and where to go on the phone screen to make the unload happen?

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
I know this wasn't a part of it...but would it benefit me to get a OTG that does the mhl to hdmi as well? Mirror the phone to a TV to see what's going on with the phone as well? Not sure if the note 5 can do that or will be beneficial or not...

Dakota 35-2

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Got the OTG cable today, still seems to only connect as a portable modem device. Going to try a few other computers as well to see what happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the OTG cable to connect the mouse? You're not using it to connect to the computer, are you?

If you mean that it connects as a portable modem when you connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable, then this method might not work for you. Typically, when you connect via USB to your PC, you have to swipe the notification panel down and change the USB connection to MTP (since, starting with Marshmallow, it defaults to Charge Only each time)--see this support page: How to change the USB connection options on my Samsung Galaxy Note5. But the problem here is that you only get that option after plugging the phone into the computer--which means that you can't also use the OTG mouse at the same time to change the connection type.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol