Changing Tomorrow from ATT to T-Mobile. What to Expect?

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on employer's plan and he's switching to T-Mobile. Tomorrow, my phone will be unlocked and the T-Mobile sim card inserted.

I've never done any of this and what can I expect? ATT has a lot of bloatware on my Note 5. What happens to that and anyone know if T-Mobile loads it up with the same type of stuff? Perhaps the extraction of the ATT sim takes that all with it? And the introduction of the TM sim loads it back on?

Any help is appreciated!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never done the switch like that before, but the AT&T bloatware won't disappear. The best that you can do without rooting the phone is Disabling those apps (if possible) in the App Manager. T-Mobile won't force any new bloatware on the phone (although I would recommend the T-Mobile Tuesdays app, because FREE STUFF!:D).

Be aware that future system updates might not come through over-the-air while you're on T-Mobile, since OTA updates usually require a carrier-specific device to be on the original carrier's network. Instead, you can use Samsung Smart Switch to manually update the system.

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You may find 3G and 4G reception flakey as the AT&T device doesn't use the same bands as TMobile. In relation to system updates you cant use Smart Switch. You will either need a valid AT&T sim card or take it to Best Buys to update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmph.:-\ Is this only with AT&T, or with other carrier-specific Samsung phones as well? It's helpful for me to know, so that I don't give other people the wrong information.:(

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Interesting on the OTA updates. I'll just pop on over to Best Buy occasionally to see what they can do.

I have the original ATT sim card in my billfold but guess I can't just switch the TM and it whenever I want. There's always something. :(

So far, the transition is okay. Went through the usual hitches...like all cell calls went straight to VM. Finally found a guy who could make it all work. Now we'll see about the 3 and 4 G. So far, it's good.

Yuk. It's a trade-off for escaping a cell bill, thanks to my son. :)

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok, had to go to TMobile for help. Store employee eliminated some settings, changed others, said I'm good to go. Then went to ATT to see if I could get WIFI calling. Not yet, but probably soon, they said for the Samsung phones. BUT....coincidentally, my phone started an OTA. Now all finished, everyone says.

Except that I'm getting a stupid text message ten times a day that says "Sorry, this service is not available." What service? My texts are coming and going just fine. TM says it's not them, ATT says it's not them. Plus, the number which is texting me that a service is not available is not even a phone number.

Did I mention I hate this stuff? Back to TM to see what's up. But good news about the OTA, right?

Oh, and I went through the fires because phone wouldn't call out, all incomings went to VM. Then it all cleared up but phone said it was only to be used for emergency calls. WHAT?? That's when TM employee "fixed" it. And I don't have the account password because I'm an "employee" so they have a hard time helping me. Crud.

We'll see about that. :(

Cathie

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh--it sure would be nice if devices could be switched more easily between carriers.:( That's one of the reasons I stick with unlocked phones (Nexus).

diaperback

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I unlocked and switched from ATT to TM last month. I've found that the unavailable service texts are related to Visual Voicemail. I just reopen the app and re-enable visual voicemail. Hope this helps.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
A good thing to do is buy a cheap smartphone if you don't have an old one laying around.. Use that for a trade in and buy a TMO phone. Then you can sell the AT&T one for a good price, especially since it is unlocked.

We did that with 5 phones and buying 5 new phones our monthly bill was still less than AT&T and we didn't have any phone payments on AT&T.

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Kelly, that might be a solution except that son's company isn't particularly happy with the new TM service. So...I could do as you suggested and find myself right back on the reverse highway. :)

Right now, the silly stuff has ebbed and I'm hoping I'll just skate along from now on. And I'm sure the texts are indeed related to Visual Voicemail. How I don't know nor really care, so I'll just delete the annoying texts.

MM

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Kelly, that might be a solution except that son's company isn't particularly happy with the new TM service. So...I could do as you suggested and find myself right back on the reverse highway. :)

Right now, the silly stuff has ebbed and I'm hoping I'll just skate along from now on. And I'm sure the texts are indeed related to Visual Voicemail. How I don't know nor really care, so I'll just delete the annoying texts.

MM

Why aren't they happy with the service? Is it low signal in your area? Low signal at your house? If it is at your house, TMO has great free options for that.

The visual voicemail will text if you choose. I don't have the text but with the visual voicemail (without text which is free) you can read the voicemail in the visual voicemail app or listen to it there and delete voicemails also.

Oh and in my experience, a TMO phone goes to AT&T very well.

MerpsMom

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that reply, Kelly. Yes, the coverage is the problem for son's employees including himself. A lot of them live in the "country" as they like to call it. That's not really true but it is pretty far away from some towers, it seems. They're looking into boosters from TM and I hope it works for them: nothing much worse than no coverage in your area if you've cut your landline off! Son had TM from the outset of his cellphone ownership, but after years of spotty service where he lived and worked, changed to ATT. Now back to TM and rediscovering the dearth. :) Bet TM fixes it for them.