Somebody explain to me what all the setting do in the pro mode (camera)

owensch1

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm not a photographer but want to use the pro mode because I've seen some amazing pics from this phone with people using pro mode. Can you give beginner tips please?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, if you understand how cameras work, you can tinker in an educated and informed way... For example, if you make your shutter speed fast, the camera will open the apperture more, to let the same amount of light in. In doing so, it will narrow the depth of field. So if you have the pretty girl as the subject, you want her in sharp focus, but the scenery behind her blurred... The white balance can offset the blue of fluorescent lights or the red of incandescent ones... As you can see, it's a complex thing. Samsung simplified it by having all the different modes like sports mode etc....

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
For the most part, you don't get time to fiddle much in the real world... But if you have time, you can focus on small things, or make that person standing in the shade brighter, freeze waterfalls, or make them look kind of silky, and other neat stuff so read up about photography and see how it can be applied to your excellent device. The best thing about this digital stuff is that you can take a bunch of pics and look at them right away so you can take more if you don't like them...

blackhemi4x4

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
Pro mode gives us more control of the camera, similar to a DSLR camera.

The one setting that we can't change is aperture. This is the size of the hole that covers the sensor. Smart phones have a fixed aperture where real cameras have one that can change sizes. Ours is designed to be rather big, lets a lot of light in. This is great for low light shots but really makes using pro mode difficult because the main components of the exposure triangle require it.

The main features to tweak are shutter speed (time sensor is exposes to light), ISO (the sensors sensitivity to light), white balance( telling the camera software what white should look like to our eyes in various lighting color temperatures)

How to use these really depends on what you are shooting. It's hard to truly play with pro mode with a fixed aperture. Longer exposure photography is a fun shot, such as adding slight blurs and making a waterfall look smooth but without filters, it's nearly impossible on a smartphone.

What I would recommend is reading up the basics of digital photography online. They will go in depth on the main features I mentioned, and that will help you understand how to use these features.