Note 5 won't auto rotate - help

anderdea

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I finally realized what's happening with my pictures not rotating to landscape. Auto rotate isn't working at all on my Note 5. It is set to auto rotate (pull down shortcuts) Emails, internet pages aren't rotating to landscape. Any thoughts. The software is the latest. Any other place I can control the auto rotate settings?

tismydroid

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem happen about once a week with my N5. Everything I attempt to turn auto rotate back on does nothing. Every time it has happened, I have had to restart my phone to fix it. I'm thinking it is some app that triggers it to stop auto rotating but I have yet to figure out which app is the culprit.

anderdea

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Yah! I guess it's a good thing to listen to my wife because she said to restart the phone and that did solve the problem, even if only temporarily based on your response. It does suck that there maybe a deeper underlieing issue going on here.

Thanks

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Yah! I guess it's a good thing to listen to my wife because she said to restart the phone and that did solve the problem, even if only temporarily based on your response. It does suck that there maybe a deeper underlieing issue going on here.

Thanks

Listening to your wife is always a good idea

yarnsrj

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Same here. I was thinking that it was my ebook reader app causing this, but from you others with this issue, it could be something else. I have the same ebook app on my tablet and "much loved, still in use, Note 3, without this annoying auto rotate issue.

jojodc

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
I'm on the latest software, no e-reader, but the auto rotate still keeps randomly turning off. Such a pain when you go to take a picture and discover it's not working!!! There must be some bug introduced a few updates ago. I noticed it a couple of months ago.

anderdea

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Has anyone definitively figured out what is causing the auto-rotate to stop working on the note 5? Had to restart it again as it stopped rotating this morning. Sometime I think I'd have been better off sticiking with my N4.

jmj227

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Can't figure out what's causing it but restart will fix it until something triggers it again.

djollie111

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
My trigger is google maps navigation. I can reproduce it every time by using maps to navigate somewhere. After that, none of my sensors work. Gyro, light, proximity, etc all stop working after using navigation. Reboot fixes it but maps causes it for me. If that is your trigger too, please send feedback in maps app to google.

Edit: I tested this by doing a factory reset and only using waze for two weeks without issues. But then immediately after using navigation, same result.

Last edited:

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My trigger is google maps navigation. I can reproduce it every time by using maps to navigate somewhere. After that, none of my sensors work. Gyro, light, proximity, etc all stop working after using navigation. Reboot fixes it but maps causes it for me. If that is your trigger too, please send feedback in maps app to google.

Edit: I tested this by doing a factory reset and only using waze for two weeks without issues. But then immediately after using navigation, same result.
Hm. I have been having these issues as well but rarely use navigation. I use maps often though.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just noticed another thing not working when this happens. Lost SPen detection. I went all last night without the SPen with no alerts. It was on the floor under my sofa.