Samsung Note 5 won't boot past the Samsung logo sceen?

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I have a samsung note 5 I recently discovered to be rooted before I purchased it as refurbished AA++ from an eBay seller.

After trying to unroot the phone via SuperSU app I rebooted it, but what happens now is that my phone doesn't get past the Samsung logo screen and it loads eternally.

The only command I can input is the force reset performed by holding power + vol- keys..

I have no way to use mhy phone and I am in big trouble!

Can I receive assistance, please?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
Before I started any of the steps below, I'd be all over the seller and eBay like stink on **** for selling me a modified device. Reread the eBay posting though, to make sure that you didn't miss anything in the write up that discusses custom firmware. Maybe contacting them for a replacement or refund would be a good place to start. Remember that bad feedback can be a powerful tool. Contact them only through eBay's resolution process though, to ensure that you and eBay have a record of all your communication with the seller. Test out eBay's and PayPal's guarantees. If that doesn't work out, and if you used a credit card for the purchase, check with your bank to see if you can file a charge dispute with them.

==========

Now, if you want to try to fix this yourself, remember that doing any of this will likely void any guarantee or support from the seller or eBay.

Often, killing the root is just part of the process. If the seller rooted the phone and loaded a custom or modified Samsung OS, then the phone won't boot until that OS is replaced with the factory version.

Samsung's SmartSwitch has the ability to download and install the correct factory ROM for your device, but I don't know if it will work in your instance since you're coming from being rooted. It costs nothing to try though, and your phone is already bricked. Grab it at Samsung Smart Switch™ . Once it loads, connect your phone to your PC and click on the oval button in the upper right corner "MORE". Make sure that the EMERGENCY SOFTWARE RECOVERY tab is selected, and hit OK then follow the prompts.

If that doesn't bring your phone back to life, you'll have to reflash the factory OS with ODIN. I'm not well-versed enough to walk you through it here, but there are folks at XDA who can help.

Good luck.

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Before I started any of the steps below, I'd be all over the seller and eBay like stink on **** for selling me a modified device. Reread the eBay posting though, to make sure that you didn't miss anything in the write up that discusses custom firmware. Maybe contacting them for a replacement or refund would be a good place to start. Remember that bad feedback can be a powerful tool. Contact them only through eBay's resolution process though, to ensure that you and eBay have a record of all your communication with the seller. Test out eBay's and PayPal's guarantees. If that doesn't work out, and if you used a credit card for the purchase, check with your bank to see if you can file a charge dispute with them.

==========

Now, if you want to try to fix this yourself, remember that doing any of this will likely void any guarantee or support from the seller or eBay.

Often, killing the root is just part of the process. If the seller rooted the phone and loaded a custom or modified Samsung OS, then the phone won't boot until that OS is replaced with the factory version.

Samsung's SmartSwitch has the ability to download and install the correct factory ROM for your device, but I don't know if it will work in your instance since you're coming from being rooted. It costs nothing to try though, and your phone is already bricked. Grab it at Samsung Smart Switch™ . Once it loads, connect your phone to your PC and click on the oval button in the upper right corner "MORE". Make sure that the EMERGENCY SOFTWARE RECOVERY tab is selected, and hit OK then follow the prompts.

If that doesn't bring your phone back to life, you'll have to reflash the factory OS with ODIN. I'm not well-versed enough to walk you through it here, but there are folks at XDA who can help.

Good luck.

Kind underway99,

my phone is currently restoring the stock firmware I downloaded from sammobile.com via odin3.
I hope, when the operation will end, my phone will be completely restored at his full, original potential.
I also hope this will unroot my OS completely.

What doesn't make me quiet is the fact that.. the only version I was able to download of the firmware was "T-Mobile (USA)" under the label carrier.. and this worries me because I originally brought this model which was country unlocked and could work with my phone company from Italy aswell.

Do you think I'm worrying for nothing, or..?
Maybe the root served to make the work support my country carrier?

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I would not expect the T-Mobile USA firmware to work with your international unlocked device. Firmware intended for one will not typically work with the other. Sammobile usually has the right ROM if you give it the correct model number. It doesn't have to be the most recent release, just the right firmware. The phone will update itself to the current version after it everything is restored.

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I would not expect the T-Mobile USA firmware to work with your international unlocked device. Firmware intended for one will not typically work with the other. Sammobile usually has the right ROM if you give it the correct model number. It doesn't have to be the most recent release, just the right firmware. The phone will update itself to the current version after it everything is restored.

The point is that on sammobile.com they were all T-Mobile for my phone model.. ??????

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I suppose it's possible that you got an unlocked T-Mobile phone. If that's the case, then it may well work as intended.

Last edited:

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I suppose it's possible that you got an unlocked T-Mobile phone. If that's the case, then it may well work as intended.

Good news!

I managed to re-install successfully the stock version firmware, downloaded from sammobile.com, via Odin3 and I didn't lose any of my phone data.
The root is gone and my carrier seems to work perfectly, for which I have full access to my phone company tariffary plan features.

I still don't know what to tell or do with the eBay seller tho.
Sending back the phone would only result in a loss of tempered glass cover and a lot of time.

What really bothers me is that the seller told me it was a factory refurbished phone.. but a root is surely not a result of a factory refurbishment :\

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
It's good to hear that your phone is up and running.

I agree that refurbishing doesn't normally include rooting, unless the seller had his own definition of "factory refurbish" or was potentially trying to hide a software flaw that he couldn't fix.

In any event, I'd check any product guarantee with eBay and then test the crap out of your phone to make sure that it all works. Then leave appropriate and specific feedback. I'd also report the seller to eBay through their internal process.