Bluetooth on note 5

bolo058

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
I have a note 5 with Android 6.0.1. When I try to connect via Bluetooth to my 2012 Toyota sienna it connects to the phone but not the media. I have tried forgetting the vehicle and reconnecting but the problem continues.When looking at the Bluetooth settings it shows the media is turned off but when I turn it on it says not connected and turns off again. My wife's note 5 running the same OS works fine so it seems that the issue is on the phone and not the vehicle. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Glad you asked.
Turn device off.
Press and hold volume up, home, and power buttons until the Samsung logo appears.
Release the power button but not the other two!!
A little green robot should pop up.. You can let go the buttons now.
It will do its thing for a little while and then it may fall over and play dead. Don't be concerned, press power button briefly and a tiny menu should appear in very small writing.
Using volume down, scroll down to wipe cache partition.. Press power button to authorise the operation and you'll see it all happen down the bottom of the screen. You should get prompt to reboot device. Again, authorise with power button. Your phone should reboot normally.
Be aware that you can do all kind of mischief in that menu, so read very carefully before you OK anything lest you factory reset the thing... Good luck :)

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
If the cache wipe doesn't help, try removing the phone from the car settings and then adding it back. You mentioned removing the car from the phone Bluetooth settings, but not the other way around. I have had to do that before on my Corolla.

bolo058

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Glad you asked.
Turn device off.
Press and hold volume up, home, and power buttons until the Samsung logo appears.
Release the power button but not the other two!!
A little green robot should pop up.. You can let go the buttons now.
It will do its thing for a little while and then it may fall over and play dead. Don't be concerned, press power button briefly and a tiny menu should appear in very small writing.
Using volume down, scroll down to wipe cache partition.. Press power button to authorise the operation and you'll see it all happen down the bottom of the screen. You should get prompt to reboot device. Again, authorise with power button. Your phone should reboot normally.
Be aware that you can do all kind of mischief in that menu, so read very carefully before you OK anything lest you factory reset the thing... Good luck :)
I tried the partition cache wipe and removed the phone from the van and the van from the phone and it still doesn't work. The crazy thing is the phone will connect but not the media. I have the same phone as my wife with the same version of the OS and it connects to both the phone and media with no problems on my phone. Any other suggestions? I am completely baffled and frustrated.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Once connected to car, did you find the settings in the device that allows the car access to your contacts and messages? That's the important bit...

bolo058

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
No I wasn't aware that had anything to do with the media part. The phone connects and she can use the speakerphone just fine and it shows who is calling but she cannot play the music on her phone through the car stereo. My phone does with no problem though. It is the craziest thing. I can't tell that there is any difference in the settings between the two.

bolo058

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
So I think the is something wrong with the Bluetooth in the van. I removed both phones from the van and the van from both phones. I reinstalled my wife's phone and it started working just fine. Phone and media both began working just fine. I then tried reinstalling my phone, which has worked fine all along and now the media will not work on it. It appears that the van will only allow one phone to have media saved. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Anyone have any ideas?