Storage use question

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Can someone explain to me what "other" is and how it's using almost 2 gigs. And why immediately after a cache wipe there's still 4 gigs of cache?
7d7efd2e34582b4a05b44e0333d44183.jpg

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Well... this is going to be a "stab" - "Other" are more than likely some random system files that they'd rather not bother telling you what they are, hence "other"!

My GUESS on the "Cached Data" is that it's really a block of space, like on a computer, reserved for a cache, regardless if there's data in it or not, it's set aside to be used to cache data. Therefore, when you clear it, it still shows the same value. It should be labeled "System Cache" if I'm right and not "Cached Data" - but... I could be SO WRONG too! :cool:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
About your second question. Wiping the cache partition and clearing cached data from the storage settings are different processes and remove different files.

The cache partition wipe removes system files and doesn't free any storage. Clearing cache from the settings will delete the cache files created by your apps and will free the storage indicated in that option.

You can see this guide for more information.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=558872

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
About your second question. Wiping the cache partition and clearing cached data from the storage settings are different processes and remove different files.

The cache partition wipe removes system files and doesn't free any storage. Clearing cache from the settings will delete the cache files created by your apps and will free the storage indicated in that option.

You can see this guide for more information.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=558872

Sweet write up Javier... very well done!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
axool