Is Nougat with it?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Don't know whether to pull the trigger on this update. So just asking performance wise is this update worth it... Does it make the phone perform faster and how is the Nougat battery life? Thanks!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Don't know whether to pull the trigger on this update. So just asking performance wise is this update worth it... Does it make the phone perform faster and how is the Nougat battery life? Thanks!

Runs great on my S7 on Telus in Canada

Brad Bilger

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

To me, the sudden jump on my battery life alone outweighs any other problem. The pull down notification shade went bright white. To me, that's a minor bug. This was the smoothest update that I've ever had to deal with going back to jellybean to kit kat update.

sajjadm1

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

My personal experience has been mostly bad.

- Pretty weird touch screen issues, a lot of touches go unresponsive (deal breaker for me)
- a lot of essential features stripped off. Favorites in contacts gone
- notifications are a big mess imo. Everyrhing is way too crowded and very small to click accurately. Its far too jam packed in one area
- notification icons are very small too and again crammed with each other
- settings favorites gone. Settings menu is way more confusing now despite a better visual appearance
- just toggling data on or off takes so many steps
- making a call takes more steps

There are a few positives:

- The battery life is definitely far better, from 6 Hr SOT to 7.5 SOT (this might be because i am using a lower resolution display)
- speed seems mucb better and phone seems more smoother
- multi window is definitely improved under nougat

SKalber

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
The only issue I have had with nougat on my Verizon note 5 is my screen won't turn off when using my speaker on a phone call so I minimize out of it. My battery life is a solid 2-3 hours better a day. I recommend the update.

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Can't contradict users who claim better battery life. But there does seem to be a placebo effect anytime a new OS is installed.

As for me, Nougat is unexceptional but for the horrific white thing that is the pull down screen for notifications.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Can't say I've noticed one iota of improved battery life after my Nougat update.
Well i tend to aggree, without hard stats it's hard to know if Nougat is genuinely faster than Marshmallow... I find a lot of people treat OS upgrades like the 'emperor's new clothes' and think that it's faster because it's new.

Seems to be a mixed bag here some people saying it's good but some saying it's not worth upgrading because if problems...

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I really need to clean up my contacts. I found this very old one, but it works for this example.

Press the info under the contact name. Press on the star. Now in favorites.
The thing is you have to now click on more menu items to get to that one item you were using before. Or in my case they just remove it.

jlost

Trusted Member
Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Well i tend to aggree, without hard stats it's hard to know if Nougat is genuinely faster than Marshmallow... I find a lot of people treat OS upgrades like the 'emperor's new clothes' and think that it's faster because it's new.

Seems to be a mixed bag here some people saying it's good but some saying it's not worth upgrading because if problems...
For me, it's not faster as I get random reboots. Well, I haven't gotten any since the latest security patch.

dllrogers55

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
The only issue I have had with nougat on my Verizon note 5 is my screen won't turn off when using my speaker on a phone call so I minimize out of it. My battery life is a solid 2-3 hours better a day. I recommend the update.

My screen stayed on during a call without being on speaker. I decided to do a factory reset and even though it took hours to get everything back it was worth it. Screen no longer stays on during a call!

veggie59

May 25, 2013
Visit site
My screen stayed on during a call without being on speaker. I decided to do a factory reset and even though it took hours to get everything back it was worth it. Screen no longer stays on during a call!

Hmmm....I think my screen has always stayed on during a call. Not sure lol. I think it goes black while against the ear and then lights back up when you pull it away.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I think it is, to me the phone runs very well on Nougat. There seems to be allot of look & feel from the Note 7.

Cheers,
BR