Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

jayrod88

May 13, 2010
Visit site
they're treating it as a new upgrade because they want the Commission

This statement couldn't be further from the truth. Due to the process that must be followed, Best Buy must process the return and then process the activation of the new Note 7 on the following transaction.

There is no "commission" for a return and re-ring vs exchange. Honestly if the exchange was an option it would save the employees A LOT of time (including the customer).

Again, no commission at Best Buy.

jayrod88

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That is absolutely ridiculous! This is a CPSC mandatory recall; they have to exchange it. I can see them suspending your phone service, but not refusing a mandatory recall. I would get the name of store manager and report them to the CPSC.

Best Buy can absolutely process the return of the recalled phone to ensure the customer is safe. The CARRIER will not allow the new device to be activated if there is a past due balance. This goes for ATT, Sprint, and Verizon. This is not a Best Buy policy. When the account isn't past due, the new device can be activated.

jayrod88

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My cousin who is also in the same area as me is struggling to find blue att note 7 at best buy to exchange hers out.. either stores already ran out and she has to wait or don't have them at all plus don't know the ETA still. I recommend those who are planning to exchange to get on it quick if you want choice I guess :/

Have your cousin request for the store to do a "hardware only" pre-order / reservation in their activation system so that a blue one will be shipped to that store and HELD for her. There is no cost for this and will ensure she gets the color she wants as it arrives.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
They had just one option for pre-order it was to select the carrier and color. No mention of hardware only. I had done the same however I never got a pick up email so I called stored and walked into the one that had blue att one. They didn't ask for a year pre-order info and as long as I had receipt and the device they swrapped it. Cousin is still in limbo waiting on blue in this area

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Will be 2 more weeks before my Best Buy gets more replacements in. My carrier AT&T wants nothing to do with me since I bought it through BB. Also now Samsung is sending out the 60% barrier patch to limit my phone to that. Never again Samsung. Next year going with something else.

I think that blows. I went in (well now technically "yesterday" the 20th) My AT&T pre-order phone came in on the 19th but I was not in the area so I could not get to the store until after work on Tuesday the 20th. I saw a guy on Sprint walk right in without a pre-order and get a silver N7 with no problem. He did not seem to be doing an exchange but he might have returned his previous one, however, he was not on a specific pre-order status with his carrier either and the rep just looked and said, yes-here is one in there, you can have it and it was his-it was definitely not reserved for him on pre-order. I even got my change to Blue Coral and all. (but would have been fine staying with the Silver-it's sharp; I am though loving the Blue) . Well, I am sorry to hear of your experience. I hope somehow they get a shipment in way sooner for you! I'm rooting for you! I have to admit-I was surprised to get my phone so quickly.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Got my new N7! (Verizon & Blue) took 45 min. They had trouble bc I am on prepaid. Had to swap SIM cards.
I kept all acc incl. S-Pen. At 1st he wanted to keep the new charger but, I said Samsung only wants the phone & he agreed & let me keep it. So now have 2 of everything. It was 50% charged. I charged in the car driving home & seemed to get warmer than old one. Used Samsung car charger.

B4 I left home I did Smart Switch backup to my Mac. Now trying to do restore & not going well. It has been HOURS! Stuck on 49% "restoring Applications." I don't have many apps. Nor much content to explain how long this is taking. When connected to computer, got notice to install updated software for SS on phone & I said yes & over next 1/2 hour was prompted to do this 2 more times! Finally it worked but, as mentioned has been stuck on 49% for hours.

I'm concerned it is hung. It says do not unplug cable while restoring data but if it is hung up...? I will let it run overnight.

doodleholic

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I went to Best Buy yesterday because I got the email that our replacement phones were ready. (My mom and I both have a Note 7 under the same Sprint account.) When we got there, they had all the replacements labeled and allocated to preorders. Apparently, they decided mine was a duplicate order and completely skipped over mine. :(

They had some in stock for people that 'preordered' after me, but they refused to give me one of those and said they had to 'reissue the preorder'. So, now, I'm at the bottom of the list, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.

It took two hours, but we did get my mom's replacement, at least. I'm SOL and still using my recalled Note for now though.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for posting this info. I went in and submitted for the sd card. Last month I went with the gear fit 2 and I don't know how much I like it. Coming from a fitbit the instability of the stair counter and kind of regretting the card originally. I'm glad I had a second chance. I'll report back when I get the approval email.

Not to get off topic, but I too used to have an Fitbit (Ultra) before they got really big. It helped me a lot, but I have since moved on to a Polar V800.

wildcard30

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I originally returned my preordered launch day Note 7 to Best Buy on the day the recall was first announced. I went to my local At&t Corporate store and picked up my replacement Note 7 on Monday no issues.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Will be 2 more weeks before my Best Buy gets more replacements in. My carrier AT&T wants nothing to do with me since I bought it through BB. Also now Samsung is sending out the 60% barrier patch to limit my phone to that. Never again Samsung. Next year going with something else.
If you are in the US they are not doing the 60% patch here, just the nag ware when charging. Also is should be never again BB as well

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
On a different note that pre-order I did on 10th for replacement still is in limbo lol lol no emails nothing again glad i called the other store Monday and walked in to exchange for new note 7. Those who aren't on pre-order I would still say push best buy to exchange it because there is no set in stone rule about that and 90% of stores were clueless of this preorder to begin with. Also Verizon and Sprint have begun sales to general public.

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Picked my replacement up yesterday. I had turned mine in under the BB 14 day return and replaced it with an S7 Edge, thinking I might keep it. BB told me the replacements would easily be in in the 14 day return window.

When they weren't the manager told me I could return it after 14 days without any issues.

Went in yesterday and it was painless, took about an hour. What's interesting is I received a $150 BB gift card for activating the S7 edge and never used it. I didn't say anything about it during the return. Once it was completed I checked the balance of the gift card and lo and behold it showed $150.

I went online and ordered the VR and a wireless charger for pickup at another BB near me. Picked them up a hour later. I've also registered for the free 256 micro SD card, so I'll end up getting both for free.

I'm happy to have the Note back. It's a better phone than the SE Edge IMHO.

The VR is really cool. The blue angels video is unreal.

I'm grateful to the help this thread gave me during the process. I feel like I was much better prepared because of y'all's sage advice.

Last edited:

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Our local best buy, where we pre-ordered from and picked up on release day, is only receiving shipments of 2 or 3 phones at a time and they are gone within hours according to the mobile department. They will not do a waitlist. They expect several more weeks to be able to exchange them on demand.

I called Samsung and they started reading me a script about returning to the place of purchase, so I interrupted and asked if we should keep using the exploding phone until Best Buy exchanges it, and she said we should "limit apps usage to avoid overheating". lol

If I hadn't already returned my own phone for a refund I would now because of this silliness. My wife is part of the 85% that haven't exchanged, and it looks like its going to stay that way for now.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Well got my replacement yesterday. Kept everything including the spen. Well nice hanging out with you guys on this thread but time to move on.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I went to Best Buy yesterday because I got the email that our replacement phones were ready. (My mom and I both have a Note 7 under the same Sprint account.) When we got there, they had all the replacements labeled and allocated to preorders. Apparently, they decided mine was a duplicate order and completely skipped over mine. :(

They had some in stock for people that 'preordered' after me, but they refused to give me one of those and said they had to 'reissue the preorder'. So, now, I'm at the bottom of the list, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.

It took two hours, but we did get my mom's replacement, at least. I'm SOL and still using my recalled Note for now though.

They did the same thing to me. I pro-ordered two replacement phones. I received an email on the weekend about one of them being in at the store but nothing on the other one. I called BB Mobile on Monday and they talked to the store. Apparently the store saw two identical orders and decided one was a duplicate so they put that one on hold. The BB Mobile rep worked with the store to get a second one ordered and had another phone in for me yesterday. It took about an hour to get the swap made because they were very busy and trying to help multiple people at the same time.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
What state are you located in clocks? The location i got mine from had plenty but others in the area also got few at a time and were gone. I would follow up with various best buy locations and go to the one that has it right away.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
What state are you located in clocks? The location i got mine from had plenty but others in the area also got few at a time and were gone. I would follow up with various best buy locations and go to the one that has it right away.

Michigan

The one I bought it from has none, and wont do a wait list. Said they only get 2-3 in at a time and they are gone quickly.

The next closest has none, but at least has a "waitin' list, but you gotta come in and sign some paperworks to get on its"

The one furthest away doesn't answer their phone and is a PITA to get to anyways.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Samira