Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It's important to keep in mind that everyone was dropping SD card support except LG until it was being fixed in Marshmallow - then every OEM started bringing them back. That's not a response to uproar, but to the valuation of storage options vs security and stability concerns that have now been largely addressed.

But the SD card was ok for all those years until the manufacturers started to copy Apple and make these devices into status symbols and fashion accessories?
You also mean the storage options that you have to pay for? Not much of an option IMO. Strange how I heard much complaining about losing additional storage on the phone itself vs card crashes. What about the alliances between manufacturers and cloud storage companies...no clash of interests there? The consumer got the short end of that one too at the expense of profits, now it's back.
Sorry for being cynical at the expense of manufacturers trying to penetrate new markets and consumers. There will always be winners and losers but having been in the business world for far too long it always comes down to profits before any other factor and Apple is squarely in their crosshairs.

Last edited:

codiusprime

May 20, 2011
Visit site
And believe me, a removable battery/sd card is very important to alot of people.

If a removable battery was important to a lot of people then more companies would cater to that need. The SD card was important to enough people that Samsung brought it back for the S7, the removable battery is a non-issue for the vast majority of phone users. The world does not revolve around YOU, hence the more to non user replaceable batteries.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But the SD card was ok for all those years until the manufacturers started to copy Apple and make these devices into status symbols and fashion accessories?
You also mean the storage options that you have to pay for? Not much of an option IMO. Strange how I heard much complaining about losing additional storage on the phone itself vs card crashes. What about the alliances between manufacturers and cloud storage companies...no clash of interests there? The consumer got the short end of that one too at the expense of profits, now it's back.
Sorry for being cynical at the expense of manufacturers trying to penetrate new markets and consumers. There will always be winners and losers but having been in the business world for far too long it always comes down to profits before any other factor and Apple is squarely in their crosshairs.

I guess I'm not seeing any tie to Apple on the SD card issue. Obviously Apple doesn't have them, but a lot of OEM's didn't have them. I don't think they were removed for "fashion" reasons, but for other considerations such as space, cost, performance, etc. There are fewer reasons to disinclude the SD card slot than a removable battery, so without any companies saying, "this is why we nixed it" it's difficult to draw conclusions for the exact reasons - but I'd be shocked if any OEM got rid of SD cards in order to "be more like Apple". That's just a silly and counterproductive model.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The ultimate answer is a built in battery that offers the water proofing that you desire, with enough capacity to not require swapping out. You can't make everyone happy, but a 4000 mah battery would pretty much eliminate mid day charging, in all the the most extreme circumstances.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree. The ultimate answer is a built in battery that offers the water proofing that you desire, with enough capacity to not require swapping out. You can't make everyone happy, but a 4000 mah battery would pretty much eliminate mid day charging, in all the the most extreme circumstances.

Add in the ability for easy replacement, then I may go along. I know most of the discussion has been on charging vs swapping, but I still consider a non-replaceable battery to be an additional failure point of a phone. A non-replaceable battery could last me a week and I'd still opt for one I can replace just to not have to send it in for service if it goes bad.

allargon

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
but I'd be shocked if any OEM got rid of SD cards in order to "be more like Apple". That's just a silly and counterproductive model.

Really? HTC did it years ago with the "One" series. That phone got praised for its design from reviewers, but users didn't buy it. The Nexus series has NEVER had SD card support, because Google wants everything in the cloud. Apple is not alone with its lack of support for SD cards.

What has been uniquely Apple since the first iPhone is the lack of support for swappable batteries.

GatoL0c0

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
The only question thats important- Does it have a removable battery/sd card???

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

It will not have a removable battery, especially since it has been confirmed by Evan Blass that it will be IP68 certified water resistant. Micro SD slot was also confirmed. Yes...this is confirmed by a known leaker and has been wrong in the past but he has a good track record of being correct.

GatoL0c0

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
How is it going to be a August 2nd release if they are announcing it on that day? That would leave no room for pre orders!

I'd anticipate a later, maybe August 15th as previously noted, release date.

No sure why some sites are reporting that August 2nd will be the launch day. August 2nd the date of the Samsung Unpacked (not sure if they still call it "Unpacked") event.

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Samsung produced the phone iPhone users wanted, not the phone diehard Note fans wanted. Note fans didn't complain about the IR blaster, nor removable battery, SD card or the plastic back cover which if they were like me, put a case on it anyway. [insert humorous statement here] Most complaints were from first time Note users who didn't deserve the privilege of even looking at this beautiful piece of technology let alone own one!!! [end humorous statement]

Last edited:

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 7 will have SD card support and removable battery... And Apple will praise itself for being the first phone manufacturer to do so.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm...strange how that tiny segment influenced Samsung to bring back the SD card.

I stand by my belief that Android's lack of support contributed to OEMs ditching the SD card for a generation or two.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If a removable battery was important to a lot of people then more companies would cater to that need. The SD card was important to enough people that Samsung brought it back for the S7, the removable battery is a non-issue for the vast majority of phone users. The world does not revolve around YOU, hence the more to non user replaceable batteries.

One thing to remember is that these OEMs have usage stats on how current features are used that can and will influence their decisions on future products.

How many used the feature X? Is it cost effective for us to implement and support feature X in the next phone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I stand by my belief that Android's lack of support contributed to OEMs ditching the SD card for a generation or two.
Google was doing everything buy turning it off. Making security so restrictive that the cards were all but useless. Once security was fixed, moto, HTC and Sammy all brought it back. That's not a coincidence.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung produced the phone iPhone users wanted, not he phone diehard Note fans wanted. Note fans didn't complain about the IR blaster, nor removable battery, SD card or the plastic back cover which if they were like me, put a case on it anyway. [insert humorous statement here] Most complaints were from first time Note users who didn't deserve the privilege of even looking at this beautiful piece of technology let alone own one!!! [end humorous statement]

Maybe, but companies need to progress and grow as well. Samsung couldn't keep releasing the same phone every year and stay competitive. They had to take risks and try new things.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX