Leaked video shows the Galaxy Note 7′s iris scanner in action!

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

You might notice that the Galaxy Note 7 in the video has a flat display instead of the dual-edge curved display that it’s due to come with. Reports say that Samsung created full-fledged prototypes of the flat variant in order to test the hardware while concealing the real appearance of the Galaxy Note 7 but given that so many renders and pictures have been leaked online the efforts have all gone in vain. We can see in the video that the iris scanner works like a charm, it’s blazing fast as we expected and makes it very easy for the user to gain access to the device. All that’s left now is for Samsung to formally unveil the Galaxy Note 7 on August 2 and tell us when it will be out and how much it’s going to cost.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not thrilled abut the iris scanner (tin foil hat, the government is after me, the sky is falling and all that aside). I know people who wear color contacts and this would be useless on them. When I wear glasses this would probably not work (eye-tracking for reading and screen staying on don't work as well in current and older models with glasses), and I'm still worried that it won't work as well with normal contacts (not sure exactly how it reads the eye). So yeah, this is one feature that I can live without.

Plus try unlocking like this at night or in dark places. If it uses a flash, prepare to be super blinded. Either way, you lose :p (unless it uses IR light to read the eyes...in which case I lose haha but that would be cool).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea a little but I like the FPS more. One question that might be better for a different thread, is how it relates to evidence collection. Right now the predominate theory is that the courts and their officers can compel a person to unlock their phone with a FPS. With an Iris Scanner, seems like they'd have an even easier time compelling you to look at your phone.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If you have to press the home button to access the Iris Scanner you might as well use the Finger print scanner.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
And btw, the lumina has iris scanning and it works flawlessly in a dark room. From what I understand it works even better in low light. Carry on.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Color contacts are still a "thing"? I thought that nonsense faded out in 1997.

Unfortunately transparent contacts are now made of a material that, while 'better' for your eyes, not everyone can use it without having them go into their brains after a few blinks. Color contacts are still made with harder plastic materials that stick better to your eyes.

Also, a great way to change things up for Halloween!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
And btw, the lumina has iris scanning and it works flawlessly in a dark room. From what I understand it works even better in low light. Carry on.

So it uses IR light instead of a normal camera? Mmm... interesting. Wonder if you can hack the scanner to have night vision on your cellphone then?

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Someone made the comment of why use the iris scanner if you have to touch the home button. I agree with that. However, the example is impressive because of how fast it was. Very cool, would be great if we can use it as a password alternative.

Posted via the Android Central App

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I will never complain about an extra layer of security.

Besides, we don't know what else the phone can do yet

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's pretty fast.

I'll likely use it as a secondary form of authentication, however.

Fingerprint security is what I'd go for, especially since it already supports the Marshmallow APIs for fingerprint sensors.

j_hansen

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
From what I have read it can be used for individual apps as well and I like the idea of added security for online banking apps etc..