8/5 Nougat Release, Note?

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I know this has been tossed around a lot, will the N7 come with Android N.... Since Nougat will be released on the 5th, what are your speculations about the N7 actually shipping with it?

Posted via the Android Central App

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Who knows. Some say it could be released by some carriers on Tue, then some say Aug 19th and some say pre orders start in 2nd. I guess Tue we might get a better idea. I just hope on Tue we get an idea what the price is. If it's around $950 I'm going to just go and buy an unlocked S7E then so that will help me decide. Btw Otterbox doesn't have any cases listed yet on their site. Usually they had a coming soon label and you can still see what the case looks like. I don't see any generic Defenders yet, but if I decide to get the phone I'll probably order a supcase this week to last me until I can get a Defender or generic one. I know supcase provides crap drop protection and is overrated but better than nothing.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Highly.. highly .. doubtful. Especially for carrier models. They have to test their bloat with it before release.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
the LG V20 will be running Nougat out of the box in September.

Yeah, and they say they'll be the first to ship with it. I'm pretty much 99.9% sure that the Note 7 won't ship with it. Maybe Samsung will update the phones by the end of the year though since it's releasing earlier. That would be nice.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It kind of sucks though to think about getting a phone and then have a major update slapped onto Marshmallow within a couple of months. Talk about bloat. My Note 4 is so bloated right now with a Lollipop and then Marshmallow update that I can no longer update apps even after moving everything I can onto my SD card. The only way I could update apps right now is with a factory reset and I do not want to customize this phone if I am getting a new one in a few weeks.

That said, the Note 7 will have twice as much internal storage but there is always the risk of needing a factory reset after a major update, so if the phone doesn't ship with Android N, then my personal opinion is that I am not in a rush to get it. Would LOVE six months with a clean phone with no issues.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, and they say they'll be the first to ship with it. I'm pretty much 99.9% sure that the Note 7 won't ship with it. Maybe Samsung will update the phones by the end of the year though since it's releasing earlier. That would be nice.

the S8 will get Nougat first before the note 7 aka the note 6

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
the LG V20 will be running Nougat out of the box in September.

That is September after N is supposed to release on Nexus phones .. Not when N is still in beta and the phone being released in August. That is the difference ;).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
It kind of sucks though to think about getting a phone and then have a major update slapped onto Marshmallow within a couple of months. Talk about bloat. My Note 4 is so bloated right now with a Lollipop and then Marshmallow update that I can no longer update apps even after moving everything I can onto my SD card. ...

Weird. I am sure what is going on there, but I would bet it's almost definitely NOT Lollipop and Marshmallow "bloat". I have an updated Verizon Note 4 that my wife uses and it runs great. I think any bloat you see may likely be from other areas, or carrier specific perhaps? If it were me, I'd bite the bullet anyway and factory reset so you have a nice, usable phone.

Also Android N on the Note 7 would REPLACE Marshmallow, not be "slapped into Marshmallow". I wouldn't worry too much about the updates (he says hoping :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I know that OS updates replace, but it still is not clean and junk is left behind creating what I feel is bloat or other issues that create unstability. I disable as many factory apps as possible to avoid as much junk as I can.

I will factory reset my Note 4 after I get my new phone and put it aside as a spare or sell it.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I know that OS updates replace, but it still is not clean and junk is left behind creating what I feel is bloat or other issues that create unstability. I disable as many factory apps as possible to avoid as much junk as I can.

I will factory reset my Note 4 after I get my new phone and put it aside as a spare or sell it.

Sounds logical, but isn't true. If you do an update (full update, not a patch) then hard reset your phone, it will be no different that if it came from the factory.

I recommend doing that for all major updates.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
the S8 will get Nougat first before the note 7 aka the note 6

Well the Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5 got marshmallow before the Verizon s7 was released.

Of course some carriers like Tmobile and att were slower to release marshmallow for their note 5, and I believe that their s7 came out before the marshmallow OTA.