Should the Note7 have been compared to the S7 edge?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That has been a question that's been lingering in my mind ever since recent rumors seem to indicate that the Note7 will likely pack similar hardware to the S7 edge, and as a result, some people have been quite upset that the Note doesn't seem to have a distinct hardware edge (pun not intended) over the S phone of the same year anymore.

However, should we even be comparing the Note7 to the S7 edge?

This question is open for all to discuss and share their thoughts, but personally, I think we shouldn't. Simply because the S7 edge is still considered a fairly recent device and it is very unlikely that a lot of people who have an S7 edge would be considering a Note7 (unless they have a program like JUMP! and they switch devices fairly often with said program). When you compare it with the S7 edge, you'll see little change and a largely similar device, which does prove to be disappointing, even though it seems that S7e owners aren't the target for this phone.

Really, I think this would be targeting previous Note users, especially those who use the S Pen quite often. When compared to the Note5, we actually see some significant improvements. Aside from the usual processor and hardware bump, there also might be water and dust resistance, an improved S Pen, a better low-light camera, USB-C, potentially faster charging and more. IMO, I think this should really be compared to earlier Notes because that's what it's going to target as a main upgrade path.

I'm sure you guys have your own thoughts, and I'd like to hear them. Share them below and maybe we might get into a fun debate.

NOTE: The post references current S7e users. It doesn't relate to buyers deciding between both when making a purchase.

Last edited:

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I see no point to comparing the note 7 to the s7 edge since there really isn't much improvement. It's not like when the s5 had the 801 while the note 4 had the 805. Hell, the s6 and note 5 shared specs as well. It's pointless. It's just people believing false rumors and disappointing themselves similar to the leaked pics of the supposed M9 design that didn't pan out.

Posted via the Android Central App

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
There is no point in comparing the Note series to the S series in my opinion. Note 7 should be compared to Note 5, or in my case, the Note 4. Price of deal may be a deal killer in my case.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Of course they should be compared, as many people will be deciding which to buy between the two. More than likely, I will be purchasing one or the other. Also waiting to see what the V20 brings though.

Posted via Android Central App

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Of course they should be compared, as many people will be deciding which to buy between the two. More than likely, I will be purchasing one or the other. Also waiting to see what the V20 brings though.

OP mostly means people who own the s7 edge comparing it to the Note makes less sense than someone who doesn't own either of those comparing the two.

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
OP mostly means people who own the s7 edge comparing it to the Note makes less sense than someone who doesn't own either of those comparing the two.

People should expect comparisons to take place. Samsung should expect that the two will be compared. Nothing to get bothered about.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think it's fair to compare them, because in the past, the Note was the flagship model. It had improvements from the S line of the same year. Maybe now Samsung is no longer trying to do that and just wants them all to be equal. That's fine, if so, but I think that's why so many people have been comparing them. I know that's why I compare them anyway.

Guess now I'll just have to compare it to the V20 since it's coming with Nougat. Just when I thought LG couldn't get my attention they say something that interests me.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
People should expect comparisons to take place. Samsung should expect that the two will be compared. Nothing to get bothered about.

Of course they will be compared when you make a purchase since buyers will have to decide which one fits their budget and usage pattern best on purchase. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that since the 2 are designed for somewhat different demographics and it's up to said buyer to decide which one better fits their usage.

However, I'm not so sure of the people who own an S7 edge but are expecting a significant hardware upgrade in the Note7. Seems like we've all gotten used to the Note 3 and Note 4 bringing some improvements over the S-line model of the same year that when the Note5 dropped, some were quite let-down at how it's basically a GS6 with some small (compared to earlier Notes) improvements.

I should have made this clearer in the OP, but I was talking more about current S7e owners, not folks who don't own both and are deciding between both.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I see no point to comparing the note 7 to the s7 edge since there really isn't much improvement. It's not like when the s5 had the 801 while the note 4 had the 805. Hell, the s6 and note 5 shared specs as well. It's pointless. It's just people believing false rumors and disappointing themselves similar to the leaked pics of the supposed M9 design that didn't pan out.

The 801 to 805 was an incremental increase. The s600 to s800 was a substantial increase, and really worth talking about at the time.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to compare the S7 Edge with the Note7 because I would not consider buying the S7 Edge. So, this would be the follow up to the Note5, not S7 Edge. It does have decent upgrades over the Note5, which makes it a worthy upgrade.
Also, the SD 820 is one the best chips out there for phones. It sucks that the Note7 couldn't push the envelope with something newer like they normally do. But, this phone will be plenty fast enough. I would have to assume that the 720p screen option will be integrated into the power saving features.
From everything I've heard, the SD 821 is just an overclocked SD 820. Not sure that would be more efficient. This seems to be the part of the specs that has most people confused, as the rumors are all over the place. I wouldn't say 100% that there won't be something other than the SD 820, but there's a chance.
IMO, if they just upped the screen to 5.9" or 6", they probably would have attracted more sales.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There's no point in comparison honestly. I think folks just want to hear themselves babble. Folks who have the S7E will stay with it. This targeted towards old not users, and others looking to switch. The average person doesn't upgrade or care about switching like the very niche group here.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to compare the S7 Edge with the Note7 because I would not consider buying the S7 Edge. So, this would be the follow up to the Note5, not S7 Edge. It does have decent upgrades over the Note5, which makes it a worthy upgrade.
Also, the SD 820 is one the best chips out there for phones. It sucks that the Note7 couldn't push the envelope with something newer like they normally do. But, this phone will be plenty fast enough. I would have to assume that the 720p screen option will be integrated into the power saving features.
From everything I've heard, the SD 821 is just an overclocked SD 820. Not sure that would be more efficient. This seems to be the part of the specs that has most people confused, as the rumors are all over the place. I wouldn't say 100% that there won't be something other than the SD 820, but there's a chance.
IMO, if they just upped the screen to 5.9" or 6", they probably would have attracted more sales.
I think a 4000 mAh battery would boost sales more. 6 inches is too big for a pocket unless u find a way to get rid of top and bottom bezel.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So, SamMobile has an article that seems to be on the same page.

It’s all about perspective: critics of the curved Galaxy Note 7 are just flat wrong - SamMobile

Except that the author seems to be contradicting himself. Kinda felt like fanboy talk to me.

It's a dumb argument Imo. You can compare any two phones on the market as they are all vying for your money.

If anything, I think people need to be reminded that the S7 Edge and the Note 7 should be close in specs as they are both Samsung’s 2016 phablet offerings.

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Like others I might wait and see what the V20 brings. The V10 was built like a tank, and if the V20 has newer OS, good build quality and the IR blaster it makes it really tempting if the price is right for it. IR blaster and build quality can compensate for no spen. Plus a removable battery is an added bonus.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If anything, I think people needs to be reminded that the S7 Edge and the Note 7 should be close in specs as they are both Samsung’s 2016 phablet offerings.
Correct. I just feel that people kinda forgot that the Note5 is a thing as some keep comparing it endlessly to the S7 edge. Of course, past Notes had some upgrade in hardware compared to the S phone, but perhaps it's becoming less obvious and relevant in the 7, probably because the general hardware in the S7 is considered pretty capable.

Personally, I feel like the Note7 is going to be more of a complement to the S7e as an alternative for those who want a stylus instead of being a superior version of the S7e. Feels that earlier Note users are what this phone is targeting instead of current S7e users. There may be some upgrades, though. We'll know soon enough.

That's just my 2 cents. Everyone is free to express their own views on it. That's what the forums are all about.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Like others I might wait and see what the V20 brings. The V10 was built like a tank, and if the V20 has newer OS, good build quality and the IR blaster it makes it really tempting if the price is right for it. IR blaster and build quality can compensate for no spen. Plus a removable battery is an added bonus.
Even though I'm probably set on getting the Note7, I really hope the V20 helps boost LG's sales quite a bit. We need competition and more choice between different phone manufacturers.

If the LG V20 keeps everything we liked about the V10 (DAC + amp, build, camera, removable battery, durability, etc.) while improving on its flaws (like battery life, quality control) with the usual improvements, I think some will be interested.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
S6 became the Note 5 became the S7 became the Note 7. The two lines are intertwined and Samsung borrows and refines their design language as they go though the generations.

I don't see a problem with comparing the Note with the S7E - they are very similar devices, never mind the fact that the S7E is a great phone in its own right. This isn't 2012... For phones that are about 5 months apart, your not going to get a lot of variance. Hardware just isn't advancing every couple of months anymore.

So what do we have? We're going to have an excellent phone... I honestly don't know what the fuss is about.

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason people may be a bit upset is because if the Note 7 has practically the same specs as the S7E then why did it have to be released almost 6 months later? Note users are waiting longer for the same technology + SPen. I'd be kind of upset if I was the type of consumer who only upgraded once a year and I had to wait the additional time just so the pen could get implemented. Come on, if you're going to make them wait throw them a bone and give them slightly updated specs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance