The Note7 with 6GB of memory might actually be real...for China

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: 6gb RAM confirmed for China only.

Well, I'd be annoyed....

But I'm actually not.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to have 6GB of memory. But as of this time, it's really not needed, even for productivity, since a lot of people don't have an issue with 4GB of memory. My mom's Zenfone 2 has 4GB of memory and memory usage hardly creeps above 85+%, even with a whole heap of apps in the recent apps screen, despite that phone's notorious amount of bloatware.

Yeah, it's a different phone, but that's where my point is. 6GB of memory is one of things where it's very nice to have, especially if you want to keep your device for a very long time. But I really don't see how 4GB of memory has become "tiny" in the span of a few months.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the Nexus Sailfish/Marlin and the upcoming LG V20 have 4GB of memory as well.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have yet to see one legit benchmark that suggests any significant bennie from 6GB. Even going from 3GB to 4GB the diminished return curve is pronounced. The biggest marginal bennie is going from 1GB to 2GB and then still significant from 2GB to 3GB.

Until the series approach to managing apps and ram address recalls to the controller and cpu changes from a clock juggling series process in Android framework- and collaborative changes to hardware (need more parallel design for memory management), 4GB to 6GB is mainly a marketing action.

I would like the 128GB internal storage though :) Those specs here though would mean $1,000 device. Nope on that.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I have yet to see one legit benchmark that suggests any significant bennie from 6GB. Even going from 3GB to 4GB the diminished return curve is pronounced. The biggest marginal bennie is going from 1GB to 2GB and then still significant from 2GB to 3GB.
Most benchmarks don't report a significant increase in scores due to the extra RAM. Extra RAM only benefits when actively multitasking, and in the case of 6GB, it benefits in a hugely extreme multitasking scenario, something which I still struggle to find in real-world use.

Faster memory like LPDDR4, however, do report a score increase in benchmarks.

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to your point. ;)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Most benchmarks don't report a significant increase in scores due to the extra RAM. Extra RAM only benefits when actively multitasking, and in the case of 6GB, it benefits in a hugely extreme multitasking scenario, something which I still struggle to find in real-world use.

Faster memory like LPDDR4, however, do report a score increase in benchmarks.

Not disagreeing with you. Just adding to your point. ;)
Right, at this point.. Are 99% of the people going to see a difference in 4 and 6 of RAM?

Android does very well at managing RAM now, much better than early days.

Last edited:

jamesrick80

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Windows 10 PCs run well with 4 GB ram although 8 gb ram is the sweet spot..no one currently needs more than 4GB ram on a mobile android device. ..my tab s2 works well with 3 gb ram

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
This is quite depressing considering there is no "Samsung" or a free Korea without U.S involvement in the Korean War and the fact that Samsung treat U.S customers with it most inferior products (snapdragon) is shameful.

Erick47

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
This is quite depressing considering there is no "Samsung" or a free Korea without U.S involvement in the Korean War and the fact that Samsung treat U.S customers with it most inferior products (snapdragon) is shameful.

Korean War has nothing to do with smartphone processors. Try again.

Posted via the Android Central App

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Korean War has nothing to do with smartphone processors. Try again.

Posted via the Android Central App

How so? Samsung doesn't exist without U.S involvement and that is a fact. I can understand Japanese people not giving U.S their best product because of Nagasaki and Hiroshima (both sound tasty) but it should be the complete opposite with Koreans. I have Japanese and Korean blood in me so I'm not biases.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, it's much more to do with CDMA, carrier aggregation and other stuff, since that's where Snapdragon chips tend to excel. The US still uses CDMA on certain carriers (especially Sprint and "Big Red" Verizon) and carrier aggregation is becoming a big part of smartphones sold in the States.

The Exynos chip may be superior in terms of efficiency and performance, but the reason Samsung chose to use a Snapdragon chipset in the US, Canada and China looks to be more of a support kind of thing with carrier aggregation and CDMA (the latter for the US and China).

If you're asking why they didn't do so last year, it's because they had no choice. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 wasn't exactly a hit, especially with Samsung, who were unimpressed with its thermal performance. They had to go with their Exynos 7420 as the only chip option on their flagship phones worldwide.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually it is an American company's fault (qualcomm) since they won't let Samsung use cdma technology for free. And since 3 of 5 the major USA carriers are cdma, then they need to use a qualcomm cdma baseband processor. The s820 has the qualcomm cdma baseband processor on the soc.

On the note 5,the s810 didn't have the qualcomm cdma baseband processor integrated on the soc so regardless of processor, Samsung still would have to use a qualcomm cdma baseband processor.

And while the s810 and s820 wasn't the best, qualcomm s800/801/805 were best in class.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Actually, it's much more to do with CDMA, carrier aggregation and other stuff, since that's where Snapdragon chips tend to excel. The US still uses CDMA on certain carriers (especially Sprint and "Big Red" Verizon) and carrier aggregation is becoming a big part of smartphones sold in the States.

The Exynos chip may be superior in terms of efficiency and performance, but the reason Samsung chose to use a Snapdragon chipset in the US, Canada and China looks to be more of a support kind of thing with carrier aggregation and CDMA (the latter for the US and China).

If you're asking why they didn't do so last year, it's because they had no choice. Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 wasn't exactly a hit, especially with Samsung, who were unimpressed with its thermal performance. They had to go with their Exynos 7420 as the only chip option on their flagship phones worldwide.

Cdma is proprietary qualcomm technology so I hope they excel at it.

The s810 didn't have an integrated baseband processor, so regardless if Samsung used the Exynos or s810, they would still need the qualcomm cdma baseband processor for 3 of the 5 usa variants of the s6/note 5.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The s810 didn't have an integrated baseband processor, so regardless if Samsung used the Exynos or s810, they would still need the qualcomm cdma baseband processor for 3 of the 5 usa variants of the s6/note 5.
Great point.

That alongside the issue with the 810 meant that Samsung had to use their Exynos 7420 processor for the S6 and Note5.

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

I understand that but why don't AT&T And T-Mobile user get the Exynos 8890 instead of the SD? It either Samsung too cheap to do that (inferior product for U.S GSM customers) or it would take away sales from Verizon and Sprint as my only two conclusion. So which is it? No excuse not to give GSM customers the better chip-set.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I understand that but why don't AT&T And T-Mobile user get the Exynos 8890 instead of the SD? It either Samsung too cheap to do that (inferior product for U.S GSM customers) or it would take away sales from Verizon and Sprint as my only two conclusion. So which is it? No excuse not to give GSM customers the better chip-set.

It is to consolidate their offerings. They only offer one chip per region. Easier for customer service, warranty, and give everyone in the region the same product... They don't want a Verizon and tmobile comparing and seeing differences.

For att and tmobile customers, they do offer international unlocked variants with att and tmobile lte, for those who must have the Exynos chip.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Well, this is a "Thanks!" instead.

Any idea of the actual specs of that model? I am not in the US (nor in china either, btw), so I might get lucky and it might be fine here...
Likely similar to the US model but with 6GB of memory and 128GB of storage.

Since it's for the Chinese market, I don't think Google services are pre-loaded.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Since it's for the Chinese market, I don't think Google services are pre-loaded.
Which might be good for some people who want to use an android phone without google play services (I am not one of these)

PRGDR

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the info. Those are quite impressive specs. And I imagine it would not be that hard to ad google services and apps, after rooting it maybe...