TouchWiz

2Peks1Bird

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm coming from oneplus one. The cyanogenmod os is amazing. And almost stock android. Very fast and smooth. The camera though struggles especially in low light settings. I thought of getting the oneplus 3 as it got good reviews but still, i read the camera - although has improved - still doesn't compare to the other flagships.

My question is: how do you find the TouchWiz os? I read a few (old) reviews and some say it was laggy blah blah because its got a lot of bloatware etc etc.

Would I be missing a lot from my almost stock android os if i switch to samsung TouchWiz?

Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what you want. Touchwiz has improved so much the last two years that it doesn't have the lag or problems it used to. Is it perfect? That's a matter of opinion.

I have had stock android phones (close to stock anyway, motorolas) and they are great for someone who wants a bare bones phone to customize.
But i also like the new Touchwiz, i have had every note expect the first one and to be honest i like the way Samsung sets up their phones.
I like having a home button and back button, i like the stock message app, i the phone dialer. I really like the stock samsung calander.

Touchwiz to me nowadays makes it so that i don't NEED to add a launcher. It's still a choice but i haven't used Nova or Apex or Go in a couple of years because i just don't have the need anymore.

As far as the Note line goes, I use the S pen enough, and i like Touchwiz enough that i just set up the phone and I'm done.

You can do a lot with Touchwiz and it is so much smoother than a couples of years ago that it works great by itself.

Of course these are my opinions, i don't tinker with phones like i used to. Now i just want a good Note device that i can use for work and play and not worry about needing to change launchers.

2Peks1Bird

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok good to hear it has improved. I haven't spent a lot on phones since OPO is very much affordable, so i might give the note 7 (and TouchWiz) a shot. I want to have a good shooter with minimal light, so I'm betting on the note 7 to give me my money's worth.

Thanks for the reply! Cheers!

RadeonHD4250

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
One thing I noticed about the latest Touchwiz is they FINALLY unified ALL icon shapes.

I have a Note 4 and used an icon pack to "Squircle-fy" my application drawer. Screenshot attached.

When I played with the Note 7 at Best Buy, it looks like they already took it into their own liberty to do that for me. The Note 7 icons are all the same shape as mine in the screenshot.

I hated all the crazy shapes in previous Android versions and am glad I won't have to manually change every app I install! ☺

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-08-09-15-27-29.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-08-09-15-27-29.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 81

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm coming from oneplus one. The cyanogenmod os is amazing. And almost stock android. Very fast and smooth. The camera though struggles especially in low light settings. I thought of getting the oneplus 3 as it got good reviews but still, i read the camera - although has improved - still doesn't compare to the other flagships.

My question is: how do you find the TouchWiz os? I read a few (old) reviews and some say it was laggy blah blah because its got a lot of bloatware etc etc.

Would I be missing a lot from my almost stock android os if i switch to samsung TouchWiz?

Thanks

With Package Disabler Pro you can disable anything without having to root, so bloat isn't an issue.

I use Nova, I prefer that as my launcher. Lag isn't an issue for my Note 5. The only thing that ever lags is Hangouts and that has been a Google issue off and on for a while.

Bankz111

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
As everyone on ac knows I'm probably the biggest sammy critic, nether do I intend to own one anytime soon, they just don't interest me tbf.

As for your question, The current version of touchwiz looks great tbh. Hell, I don't even mind it over stock android at this point (though I doubt you'd like it). As stock is just too skeletal, bare-bones and boring tbh..
I feel that TW has now surpassed the htc sense ui (which is frankly meh) and the lg UI (which is honestly very ugly).
The fact that the icons are now all aligned (squirlces) is a massive go to me adding to the fact that touchwiz allows themeing (proper one at that). I also read that TW will now allow custom icon packs too.

In terms of features, there's just nothing that comes close to touchwiz. The only problem here is that stock is catching up to some features that separated TW from the rest, so very soon, I fear TW might loose its edge here.

In terms of aesthetics I don't think any other UX is better (although this one is personal), while in terms of performance, well, let's be honest, touchwiz has shown itself to be one of the worse among all the top UI's so I can't vouch for this current one, but if their animations is anything to go by, then it seems like it has improved massively too.

So it all depends on your tastes, however, my rating is this

Features: Touchwiz is clearly no 1 (the features are endless)

Animations: Touchwiz is currently no 1

Aesthetics: Touchwiz is debatably number 1 at this point imo (except for the flashy colors), but this ones all personal though.

Performance: well, well, well, I don't see touchwiz showing its age properly (compared to stock, sense, lg ux), although this new one shows promise

However this features might be enough to tempt you away from any other platform
1. Theming
2. Emergency mode
3. Multi-window
4. Samsung pay
5. Game launcher
6. Private mode (you can hide your pictures/video with your FPS)
7. Ultra power saving Mode
8. One handed mode
9. Picture in picture
6. S health
7. App hiding
8. S pen

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
Is there a way to move the app drawer icon from the far right to the middle of the row, without changing the launcher? Though it's a small quirk, it's always annoyed me when using Samsung phones.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I was on Nexus 4 back in the day. My friends would ask me to help them with their phones and of course it seemed like the only phones people bought were Samsung's. TW was so convoluted I almost couldn't help them do basic set up because I couldn't navigate the menus!

But now... I'm on the verge of owning my first Samsung... The Note 7. Everything I see about the UI really excites me. Of course I can't say before I actually try it but I think I might run this thing stock straight out of the box.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12