Should I get a Note 7 or a ZTE Axon 7?

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Both phones come out at around the same time and I am torn between the two. As a T-Mobile customer, I know I'm not getting any of those extra gift cards that other carriers get from third party store (e.g Sam Clubs, Targets, Best Buy) so even with the free memory card, the Note 7 is still extremely overprice.

I don't really want to support a company that nickel and dime their customer because they can like Apple. I was expecting upgrade specs across the board over the S7 edge but that is not the case. The one standout feature of the Note 7 is it double sensitive S-pen and for the first time in the Note lineup would I actually use the S-pen by a good margin. However is the inclusion of the S-pen and the cool Coral Blue color worth the extra $450 over the Axon 7 which has similar spec but a much weaker camera?

On one hand I know that Samsung phones "work" while the other androids brand leave me wary because my Sony phones has been in repair 3 times and now it dead.

Looking forward to any helpful advice/suggestions/opinions ------ Thanks

Chris

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you need to go to the ZTE.
It sounds as if you really don't like what Samsung did with the Note this year and you feel it is overpriced for what you are getting.

If you feel that way i would go w the other phone, because even if the note7 runs fine it sounds like you'll have a predisposition to feel like you wasted money.

Good luck with what you decide.

Posted via the Android Central App

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That's funny, because that was literally the choice before me. Those were my two options. I liked the idea of a dual SIM phone, and one with the faster charging like the ZTE has. However, I really wanted the pen , I wanted the better camera, and I kept hearing that it's more difficult to see the screen on the ZTE outside than it is with the note7. Outside visibility is a big deal with me. Also, Samsung flagships just always have that little bit of extra polish, such as backlit buttons versus the non lit buttons on the ZTE. Are such as water resistance. And finally, I've gotten so used to wireless charging that it would be difficult to give it up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Both phones come out at around the same time and I am torn between the two. As a T-Mobile customer, I know I'm not getting any of those extra gift cards that other carriers get from third party store (e.g Sam Clubs, Targets, Best Buy) so even with the free memory card, the Note 7 is still extremely overprice.

I don't really want to support a company that nickel and dime their customer because they can like Apple. I was expecting upgrade specs across the board over the S7 edge but that is not the case. The one standout feature of the Note 7 is it double sensitive S-pen and for the first time in the Note lineup would I actually use the S-pen by a good margin. However is the inclusion of the S-pen and the cool Coral Blue color worth the extra $450 over the Axon 7 which has similar spec but a much weaker camera?

On one hand I know that Samsung phones "work" while the other androids brand leave me wary because my Sony phones has been in repair 3 times and now it dead.

Looking forward to any helpful advice/suggestions/opinions ------ Thanks

Chris
Actually TMO offers the same gifts, in addition to having a year of Netflix to choose from. Samsung always has TMO gifts and Netflix is always one to choose.

https://promos.samsungpromotions.com/galaxyoffer/Mobile/en-us/EnterTmobile

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, if you really want the S Pen, then the Note7 might be the one for you, though it is an expensive phone.

The ZTE Axon 7 is a solid offering too, and it's also apparently very good in audio, which is a huge plus if you love audio. However, I'm not sure how ZTE does software support in the long run, though. For $400 though, it's astounding value.

You did mention that you wanted an Android phone that just works because you didn't have a good experience with another OEM. In that case, I would have to say Samsung. I've owned a few of their devices and I didn't really encounter any serious hardware defect with them. Yes, every OEM will have its share of bad batches, but I feel that Samsung doesn't seem to have quite as many. I do recommend that you give both a serious look, though.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I have always picked the phone that I thought was the best for me which was always seemed to be the number 2 in the market LG.

I went in last year wanting to buy a shiny new S6 but the salesman made a good case for the LG G4. I switched at the last minute and have sort of regreted it ever since.

There are benefits to going with the main stream such as a very active support community... Ample choices for accessories and just the higher odds of running into someone with the same phone and triggering a conversation.

My views may be tainted because LG really let me down on the G4 but I'm going with the herd on this one.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I went in last year wanting to buy a shiny new S6 but the salesman made a good case for the LG G4. I switched at the last minute and have sort of regreted it

Yeah i would be careful, you have to remember most of those guys are sakes people and may be told what to push. Im lucky that i go to the same store where several of them know me by name and they know when i walk in ive probably already done my homework and know what im after lol.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
The difference really comes down to the cost. I had the Axon 7 for a few days and have had most of the Samsungs. I returned the Axon 7 and ordered the Note 7. If the phones cost the same amount there would be no comparison. The Axon 7 feels nice in the hand and has good sound, but that is about it. The Note 7 will win in just about every other category. ZTE has a ton of software issues to work out and the A7 is just not in the same league as the Note 7. Having said that, it is half the cost. That is why I say the real issue is what you want to spend on the phone.

jeetu4444

Trusted Member
Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
Buy what u need....buying a phone only for cheap price and sound...or buy a expensive phone which excels is most departments...
I keep my phones for long time from a year or 2...
So I prefer samsung s7 edge
I am in India, bombay..where resale value and service is good in India..
Only nokia and samsung have good after sales service...brands like Mi ,huawei are cheap brands but when it comes to service and finding spare parts it's a pain...
Think we'll before u invest

posted from Limited red and gold Lumia 950, Beautiful S7 Edge gold or Surface pro 4

seafoodlover88

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
Well, if you really want the S Pen, then the Note7 might be the one for you, though it is an expensive phone.

The ZTE Axon 7 is a solid offering too, and it's also apparently very good in audio, which is a huge plus if you love audio. However, I'm not sure how ZTE does software support in the long run, though. For $400 though, it's astounding value.

You did mention that you wanted an Android phone that just works because you didn't have a good experience with another OEM. In that case, I would have to say Samsung. I've owned a few of their devices and I didn't really encounter any serious hardware defect with them. Yes, every OEM will have its share of bad batches, but I feel that Samsung doesn't seem to have quite as many. I do recommend that you give both a serious look, though.

I have had both the Note 2/3 and S4/S7E and not once did I ever have a problem with Samsung so I know what you mean and it is my biggest fear when I go to other OEM. Samsung just work and it has a big community to help me out if things go south. After the Sony fiasco, I don't trust other brand anymore and hearing about poor signal and potential software problem with ZTE, I'm leaning toward Samsung. I just can't get over how low and bad the S7E sound compare to say the HTC M8 that my friend has.