Now Forbes likes the N7

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
No button to delete email in the in box in the stock app, must long press the archive button spps

If you're talking about iOS's stock email app, yes you can delete. The option is inside the settings under the individual email address. You can set to archive or delete. In earlier versions of iOS it was easier to find where to delete instead of archive.

I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to or not. If it's not, pay me no mind. :)

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
honestly I have the iphone 6s, its the only device I've used for almost a year now. I like it a lot and generally nowadays prefer ios to android, even with its limitations. Anyone with a brain has to realize that you can do a lot more on android than ios, which in turn leads to maybe less battery life on the android device, plus screen resolution.

I only get about 4 or 5 hours of usage on my iphone too, so its not great by any means on battery life.

The Plus has really good battery life. I had the 6, and was not impressed with battery on that thing. When the 6s Plus came out I got it (just traded it in to pre-order the Note 7), and it had great battery life. It's just so darn big!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't know why people never understand this, but the Android devices' battery would last as long as an iPhone too if all it was running was an app tray. Apple's iOS is nothing but an app tray operating system. Android runs a heck of a lot more than the iPhone could ever dream of running. It's pretty easy to optimize an app tray and have your battery last a long time. I myself have never had lag swiping from one app tray screen to another on my android either.

I've been saying this for years. Sometimes you want simplicity, other times you want features. Each has its plusses and minuses.

Posted via the Android Central App

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why people never understand this, but the Android devices' battery would last as long as an iPhone too if all it was running was an app tray. Apple's iOS is nothing but an app tray operating system. Android runs a heck of a lot more than the iPhone could ever dream of running. It's pretty easy to optimize an app tray and have your battery last a long time. I myself have never had lag swiping from one app tray screen to another on my android either.

There is sooo much more to it than that. And the iphone can do so much more than people realize. Most haven't touched one in years or used one on a regular basis. Honestly there isn't much android can do that an iphone cannot anymore. Apple has opened up so much of the OS to developers now it's pretty darn close to android in many ways. Just a couple more things and it will be there and have better battery life and performance.

For the record I have owned one iphone, the 6s plus. I have owned several ipads and have the ipad air 2 now. I have been running ios10 beta. I have also owned a ton of android phones and currently have a note 7 pre ordered and in the meantime i'm using my old nexus 6 running the latest nougat beta. So I can compare the latest OS betas side by side for features.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I was hoping for more content in the article. Is summarizing another piece in 4 paragraphs all it takes to work at Forbes?

Most these guys don't work at Forbes per se, they are bloggers that Forbes has given an audience. It is not easy (I have a friend that is a contributor) to land a spot. I find them to be 'vetted' bloggers. They are not going to match AC employees in expertise, for example, but they have valid view points. Their view points are theirs, not Forbes, which is why you will see contradictory points of view. I like reading an array of opinions, and I don't find it necessary to bash those that think differently from me (not you jshah, but many around here).

Here is an interesting article on how to become a contributor. Base on how my friend starting blogging for them, I'd say this is pretty accurate.

https://www.joshsteimle.com/writing/become-forbes-writer.html

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There is sooo much more to it than that. And the iphone can do so much more than people realize. Most haven't touched one in years or used one on a regular basis. Honestly there isn't much android can do that an iphone cannot anymore. Apple has opened up so much of the OS to developers now it's pretty darn close to android in many ways. Just a couple more things and it will be there and have better battery life and performance.

For the record I have owned one iphone, the 6s plus. I have owned several ipads and have the ipad air 2 now. I have been running ios10 beta. I have also owned a ton of android phones and currently have a note 7 pre ordered and in the meantime i'm using my old nexus 6 running the latest nougat beta. So I can compare the latest OS betas side by side for features.

Noooooooooo

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't even think they meant to make the phone that amazing! LoL If my original wasn't stolen, I'd still have it!

Which is why I never argue with those who choose not to upgrade from their Note 4. It's one of those once in a generation masterpieces where they got everything right.

The only reason I upgraded was because at the time I was very much into having to have the latest specs. I've since learned that isn't everything.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

I have to admit, I haven't ever been physically or mentally capable of laying down $1 to own an Apple product. I do respect things about them, but the OS has never done it for me. That being said, I'm surrounded by iPhones and have had a decent amount of time using them. Not as much as you, but still in my experience the phone has been incredibly limited. At the end of the day, the focus of the OS reminds me of my app tray on my Android. Albeit with a swipe left to search or browse feature. I mean, that's great and all but not all that difficult to optimize or power. Android is still FAR more customizable which naturally lends itself to worse battery life. Personally, I prefer the customization. I can plug my phone in whenever, I can't control iOS and make it more flexible.

EDIT: I was wrong, I did buy an iPod back in 2008.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Which is why I never argue with those who choose not to upgrade from their Note 4. It's one of those once in a generation masterpieces where they got everything right.

The only reason I upgraded was because at the time I was very much into having to have the latest specs. I've since learned that isn't everything.

And I was super lucky too because I was working for Sprint, and had gotten mine for free. It was a phone that wasn't overhyped, it just worked so well in all areas.

wolfedude88

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

To in an extent maybe, but Im still frustrated with a few things. There is basically no way to make a 3rd party keyboard default, even if you do it switches back from time to time and some matters it uses the apple keyboard no matter what, cant change to 3rd party sms. Different launchers, not happening, just folders. Will never have a file system, which I think is huge.

Thats just a few basic ones that i thought of.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
To in an extent maybe, but Im still frustrated with a few things. There is basically no way to make a 3rd party keyboard default, even if you do it switches back from time to time and some matters it uses the apple keyboard no matter what, cant change to 3rd party sms. Different launchers, not happening, just folders. Will never have a file system, which I think is huge.

Thats just a few basic ones that i thought of.

The keyboard switches to the apple keyboard only when you have to enter a password. That's so that 3rd party keyboards can't log your password. I'm ok with it in that instance.
No, you can't use another SMS yet. But imessage works well so I have no need to.
I have no need to access a file system on a phone. Never have. But I do have a file browser app that lets me access the folders for photos and such but I primarily use that for browsing and editing network shares.
You can share from apps to other apps which is huge for me. Some apps let you set default apps. For example outlook, which I use for mail, lets me set default apps to open when I select links. So I have it set to open web links in chrome. Chrome opens all links in google apps which I have installed. I still get google now. Apple opened up maps, imessage and siri to developers. So you'll be able to ask siri to navigate in google maps.
Just need the ability to truely set default apps system wide.
And of course if you jailbreak you can do whatever you want.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Decent article, the Iphone is still that status symbol that people feel they need to have.

I talk to parents who really could care less what kind of phone they have as long as it works, but their kids want iphones because thats what the other kids have.

I'm not knocking Iphone, even though I've played with them enough to know i will never buy one, just saying it would take years of advancement for any other company to undo the iphone cult following.

I hope the note7 does great in sales, i will be getting mine friday, but as awesome as it is, some people are either far enough into the apple ecosystem they don't want to change or just want an "iphone".

My opinion.. yours may vary

Agree. I know so many who were die hard apple iPhone lovers and they recently switched to android and they love it. They can't believe they have been missing out so long. Most "regular people" think iPhone and it is the only thing they consider without even trying something else.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As I am waiting for my note 7. I will still say apple makes a more reliable phone. The saying is as old as the smart phone but its still true, iphones just work I have never seen a Android out preform a iPhone in real world use. I do think Android is a year or two away though from changing that.

ogl > cal

Out perform in what way(s)?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I had been a hard core Android user since DAY ONE… But I would be the FIRST to admit Android is not for the faint of heart… I mean till THIS day navigating around Android is not “simple”… Regardless of which version, which mfg, running stock, launcher etc, Android continues (for me anyway) to boggle my mind at times with its “settings, strange messages & most recently, “Screen Overlay” issue (whaaaaa?!) ….

Android’s detailed customization options is unparalleled, but its simplicity of use is not.

I CAN NOT tell you the amount of times over the years I have just “lived with a feature not working” or a setting that drove me batty rather than find the solution quickly & easily that addresses it, regardless of the google / forum searches I did.

Just the setup process alone is 100 times more complicated than an iPhone...

Currently, just about any Android Flagship can easily turn the head of an iPhone user, but if that SAME user decides to make the switch, some will stay and feel like, "i can't believe what i was missing," but i think ppl with busy lives who don't have the time to devote to figuring out the most simple features of their phone will easily solve it by making one quick trip back to the their carrier & exchange back to their iPhone...

The day Android can design a phone that allows the degree of customization Android offers but IN CONJUNCTION with navigation as simple as iPhone will be the day Apple truly will have something to worry about.

I even have a name/tag line for that version.... "Welcome To Android Androgynous - The Very Best of BOTH WORLDS!"

BTC

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781