Smart Switch from Note 4

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I chose to not have Best Buy transfer stuff from old Note 4 to new Note 7. Tried to do it myself last night but unsuccessful. Every time I tried to open it on Note 4 it briefly showed the opening splash screen and then closed. Tried removing and reinstalling, rebooting phone. Nothing helped. Anyone else with these problems?

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
You shouldn't open the Smart Switch app on your old phone. Open it on the Note 7 after connecting your Note4 to it. Make sure on the Note 4 that you change the USB mode to File Transfer instead of charging mode. The Note 7 will take care of the rest.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Still having problem. Wireless attempts never show a connect message on Note 4. Connected by cable twice. First time closed S-View cover on Note 4 and lost connection. After 4 attempts got it reconnected and lost connection at 99%. Since then have been unsuccessful trying to reconnect. Note 7 just says "Connecting to Galaxy device ..." Note 4 set for file transfer. May have to give up and just reinstall apps and restore what I can from backups.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I will have to check out the desktop app. Got phones to connect again, but after over 2 hours of showing 99% finally gave up and disconnected.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Switch the cable. I had a bad original cable that went to 99% transfer to Kies and just kept trying to connect with Smart Switch. I replaced the cable and everything worked.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
New cable quickly got to 100%, but now I get hung up on preparing after selecting what to transfer. Tried again and limited the selection but still hangs on preparing. Tomorrow will try another cable and see how things go.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
Some cables are for charging only. Make sure you get one that is wired for data transfer. I learned the hard way about the cheap charging only cables.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I am not seeing Smart Switch in the Apps folder. Does anyone know where it placed on the Note 7?

On Verizon: Settings > [Backup and reset] > [Open Smart Switch] to open Smart Switch Mobile.

For everyone else that has Samsung Cloud surfaced:
[Settings] > [Cloud and accounts] > [Smart Switch] to open Smart Switch Mobile.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I wish smart switch were a cloud app so if I do a hard reset I can quickly get N7 original setup.

That would be great, I agree.

Outside of the app, there are 2 options available for you in the event of a hard reset, if you do the backups ahead of time:

• You can use Samsung Cloud (if you have less than 15Gb of apps/data). (On VZW you have to do a bit of voodoo to get the app to show up.)
  • You can use Samsung Smart Switch from a PC. I use if for backups for my Galaxy phones all the time. I would recommend doing this anyway for backups, even if you use other methods.

Good luck.

Dude2

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
On Verizon: Settings > [Backup and reset] > [Open Smart Switch] to open Smart Switch Mobile.

For everyone else that has Samsung Cloud surfaced:
[Settings] > [Cloud and accounts] > [Smart Switch] to open Smart Switch Mobile.
Thanks, this is a big help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084