A few noobish questions for a 1st time Android user :)

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Please be nice, this is my first Android phone!

Just switched from Windows Mobile after.. 7 yrs lol. Was excited to try out the Note 7 and got it home and went through the install process.

Unboxed the device, connected to wi-fi, installed all the apps, set up the phone the way I wanted then once everything was ready I popped in the SIM card. But to my shocking surprise, the phone immediately rebooted and then wiped the phone clean with a hard reset. Needless to say I was pretty upset after spending a good 2 - 3 hours setting it up. And no, there was no backup made yet. I guess because I had literally just set it all up.

Is this normal?? And curious now that they put the sim and sd card together I'm paranoid to remove it if I want to transferring data on and off the card more quickly through my PC. For some reason data transfer is fairly buggy for me. It constantly disconnects USB connections and time outs often making it tedious to transfer files larger than 1 or 2GB.

Also, with the "always on display" I realized I don't see my pop up notifications. It hides them under the display. Should it not wake the display up? Or is there a way to do this?

I installed the Outlook app as well since my Hotmail email is still my primary account. Oddly, there is no notification counter on the icon. Just in the notifications tab when new emails come in.

Lastly, I was also a bit sad to see that I couldn't literally customize the sound effect for every single app. Not that I'd want to, but the Xbox app for example I was hoping to set a custom sound for when my buddies sign in online. But found there was no option. Seems you can only set custom notifications within the app if it allows for it, or through settings for ALL notifications, email and calls. Any tips here?

Thanks!

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Inserting the SIM card should have NOT caused a factory reset. Thats not the normal process.

Really... Now I'm concerned. I really hope I don't have a lemon.

Also, having the most frustrating time with the contacts app. Seems linking, unlinking and merging contacts has been a nightmare. Is it this way for everyone? I delete a contact and later it re-appears. Or I create someone, later for them to be gone. Or I merge several duplicates only for them to later be unlinked again. Same with contacts photos I set. I have set a few people's contact pictures only to have them disappear a dozen times. Grrrrrr.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to understand why you installed the SIM card AFTER installing things. It has been a year since I got a new phone, but isn't inserting the SIM card the very first thing you do with a phone?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Please be nice, this is my first Android phone!

Just switched from Windows Mobile after.. 7 yrs lol. Was excited to try out the Note 7 and got it home and went through the install process.

Unboxed the device, connected to wi-fi, installed all the apps, set up the phone the way I wanted then once everything was ready I popped in the SIM card. But to my shocking surprise, the phone immediately rebooted and then wiped the phone clean with a hard reset. Needless to say I was pretty upset after spending a good 2 - 3 hours setting it up. And no, there was no backup made yet. I guess because I had literally just set it all up.

Is this normal?? And curious now that they put the sim and sd card together I'm paranoid to remove it if I want to transferring data on and off the card more quickly through my PC. For some reason data transfer is fairly buggy for me. It constantly disconnects USB connections and time outs often making it tedious to transfer files larger than 1 or 2GB.

Also, with the "always on display" I realized I don't see my pop up notifications. It hides them under the display. Should it not wake the display up? Or is there a way to do this?

I installed the Outlook app as well since my Hotmail email is still my primary account. Oddly, there is no notification counter on the icon. Just in the notifications tab when new emails come in.

Lastly, I was also a bit sad to see that I couldn't literally customize the sound effect for every single app. Not that I'd want to, but the Xbox app for example I was hoping to set a custom sound for when my buddies sign in online. But found there was no option. Seems you can only set custom notifications within the app if it allows for it, or through settings for ALL notifications, email and calls. Any tips here?

Thanks!

Welcome to Android. So a few things:

• That really sucks about the reset, I have never heard of that, and inserting the SIM should not cause that. How strange. Man what a bad start...
  • With the AoD, all you will see is the icon for the given notification, you will not see the actual notification until you unlock the phone. There are apps you can download which will allow you to customize notifcations for all your apps, such that you can allow popups over the lock screen. Heads-up Notifications comes to mind. It's fully customizable and you can choose which apps do what. There are even certain apps that allow your to do this natively. WhatsApp, Textra come to mind.
  • As for notification sounds, it's up to the developers to decide if they want to allow the user to customize the notification for their app. Not all do unfortunately, and like you, I wish they all did or were forced to :)

Good luck with your new phone, I think you will really really enjoy it once you learn the ins and outs. I think you'll find the community here will be very helpful with any questions you have as well.

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to understand why you installed the SIM card AFTER installing things. It has been a year since I got a new phone, but isn't inserting the SIM card the very first thing you do with a phone?

Yes, usually it is. However, since I had my old phone beside me I still wanted to be able to use it, text and chat over Whatsapp while I set up my new Note. So that's why I waited until everything was all good to go :)

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Dumb question, but was the phone on when you installed the SIM card?

Only the Samsung apps will have numbers on the icons.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android. So a few things:

• That really sucks about the reset, I have never heard of that, and inserting the SIM should not cause that. How strange. Man what a bad start...
  • With the AoD, all you will see is the icon for the given notification, you will not see the actual notification until you unlock the phone. There are apps you can download which will allow you to customize notifcations for all your apps, such that you can allow popups over the lock screen. Heads-up Notifications comes to mind. It's fully customizable and you can choose which apps do what. There are even certain apps that allow your to do this natively. WhatsApp, Textra come to mind.
  • It's up to the developers to decide if they want to allow the user to customize the notification for their app. Not all do unfortunately, and like you, I wish they all did or were forced to :)

Good luck with your new phone, I think you will really really enjoy it once you learn the ins and outs. I think you'll find the community here will be very helpful with any questions you have as well.

Thanks!

Well, perhaps it was a one off. Since then I've triple checked that my phone has backed up everything just in case one day I decide to take another shot at removing the sd card. I actually assumed it was a drastic built in security feature lol.

As for the app, I'll definitely check it out! So far I will say my general opinion of Android is that it's definitely more refined and polished than what I'm used to. But I will say even as a pretty tech saavy person that customization can become pretty complex at times lol.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks!

Well, perhaps it was a one off. Since then I've triple checked that my phone has backed up everything just in case one day I decide to take another shot at removing the sd card. I actually assumed it was a drastic built in security feature lol.

As for the app, I'll definitely check it out! So far I will say my general opinion of Android is that it's definitely more refined and polished than what I'm used to. But I will say even as a pretty tech saavy person that customization can become pretty complex at times lol.

Great to hear! 1 last thing. With that snafu, you might want to use Samsung Smart Switch to backup your Note 7 to your desktop if you haven't already. It's a great desktop backup and restore/switch app that backs up everything.

And yes, with Android you can customize just about EVERYTHING. I love it :)

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes, usually it is. However, since I had my old phone beside me I still wanted to be able to use it, text and chat over Whatsapp while I set up my new Note. So that's why I waited until everything was all good to go :)

Which is actually the way I planned on doing it when my phone comes on Tuesday. May even spend the rest of the week getting everything I need sorted out on it before switching SIM over. I'm coming from a BlackBerry Z30, and need to learn this new phone an have EVERYTHING I need for work functioning before bringing it to work. I manage projects from my phone, and have a lot on this thing. Hope I don't go through what you just did.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue with the reboot/hard reset. I did the same thing setup my phone for like 3-4hrs Then I put in the SIM and my SD card from my other phone........... However that SD was encrypted and I saw a notification pop up Just before it hard reset.... Man I was pissed.

And I usually don't transfer SIM to my new device until I'm sure it works without issue incase I need to leave the house etc.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

That's what I do. Don't want calls or text or missing anything for work while I'm setting everything up.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Well now I'm nervous... Spent hours all morning setting up my note 7 but kept the sim in my iPhone until it's all set up and waiting for my case to come in before leaving the house with it

Going to make sure to turn the phone off and put it on and hopefully it helps =\

jackal24

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Dumb question, but was the phone on when you installed the SIM card?

Only the Samsung apps will have numbers on the icons.

Although that can be customized (like just about everything android). I use Nova launcher with Tesla unread and it puts notification counts on lots of apps.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I've sold phones before and people have put the sim card in while it's on and never have had an issue, just yesterday I sold my note 5 and I set up the phone through wifi so the buyer can play with it before buying he put in his sim while the phone was on and it worked fine, I also put the sim card in my wife's note 7 after it was working through wifi and got no reset.

JeromeM

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I looked at my old phone, (the new BlackBerry DTEK50) and I had it set on Encrypt. Would it be possible that the SIM was encrypted causing this? From your Windows phone does it encrypt the SIM? This is the first time this has happened to me as well and I switch phones often but first time I had an encrypted phone.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
Well and think of all the people that like to flip between phones because they own multiple, can't imagine they all redo their phones when switching sims over

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Weird. I got my Note. Ejected the sim, turned on the phone, set it up, Smart Switched, set it up exactly like my old phone, turned it off then reinserted the sim card. No snafus.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red