I have a Note 5, Should I upgrade?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The LG G5 proves that dropping down to 12 megapixels isn't necessary. That camera is as good or better overall than the Samsung cameras so far.

And the HTC 10, a 12MP camera, is considered by many to take better overall photos across different conditions than either the G5 or S7.... The number of pixels a camera has is only one of many facets of how good a camera functions. Don't get hung up on the number.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
And the HTC 10, a 12MP camera, is considered by many to take better overall photos across different conditions than either the G5 or S7.... The number of pixels a camera has is only one of many facets of how good a camera functions. Don't get hung up on the number.
Not according to comparisons. I'm not hung up on a number.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
But my bill is still only $110 per month for two phones.
Also I do know what money Verizon gets from me. They don't get it from me without me knowing it.
Your bill will stay the same even with monthly payment on the phone because your cost per line will be cut in half. See, VZ makes you feel you are getting a good deal with 2 year contract but you are actually paying double the fee per line access. It's all a scam. Actually, it's a much better deal to do monthly payments because that way you can upgrade every year.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Your bill will stay the same even with monthly payment on the phone because your cost per line will be cut in half. See, VZ makes you feel you are getting a good deal with 2 year contract but you are actually paying double the fee per line access. It's all a scam. Actually, it's a much better deal to do monthly payments because that way you can upgrade every year.

If you don't care about upgrading every year, it's a worse deal though.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Seems like I just got the Note 5, not sure if I should upgrade to a Note 7. It is very dreamy to me, I love it. Although, I'd trade up in a second...it really is not in my budget. I was thinking of getting the S7 Edge? Any suggestions?

Had a N5. Loved it. Gave it to my daughter. Now she loves it!
The N7 is a nice and welcomed upgrade, IMO.

TJA3500

Mar 17, 2016
Visit site
I would be paying double per line but I would be paying $349 for the phone instead of $864 for the phone with the payment plan. That's where it equals out.
I would pay cash in the amount of $349 and pay $40 per month access fee for 2 years. That is a total of $1309. My total price on the phone would be $829.
If I bought the phone on payment, the price is $864. and if I activated with Verizon, I would be charged $20 per month access fee for 2 years. That is a total of $1344. I am am saving $35.

If I did not get a new phone and sign a new contract every 2 years, I would still be charged the $40 access charge instead of the $20.
In that situation, you are correct that I would be getting the shaft paying $40 per month and still using my old phone. That is why I get a new phone every 2 years.

If you buy a phone on payment, you pay retail price.
That would be $864 (36 × 24 ) plus $20 access fee × 12 = $1104
In two years that would be $1344 ($20 × 24 + $864)

$1344 - $1309 = $35. You would be paying an extra $35 for the privilege of being able to get a new phone every year, which is a decent deal.

On the payment plan you are still locked into 2 years unless you want to pay the remaining balance.
The benefit is having no contract and the freedom to go to another carrier.
It's all about the same either way.

Last edited:

DX9

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I have a Note 5 and I'm upgrading to the 7. I love the edge features, water resistance, SD card slot, and software enhancements. I get every new Note that is released.

Have fun buddy. I just picked up the Note today. My iPhone 6S Plus is up for sale tomorrow. Good to see you again

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Why do responders on this post make it sound like you have to put $900 on the table to get a Note 7?

There's other options, like device payment plan, upgrade a 2 year plan depending on carrier, organ harvest?

I guarantee not everyone throws $900 on the table every time a phone comes out. Some throw kidneys.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red

Not to get in a finance argument, but unless you have JOD with tmobile you are paying a grand for the phone. No matter how they spin it. It's sales 101. They get you on a smaller price. Oh how about this s7 for $24 a month. Oh but for only $9 more a month you can have the best. Either way it's an expensive device and going to cost near $1,000. Whether or not it's worth it is different for everyone.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
You don't understand how carrier contracts work then. You are dreaming if these companies give you anything for free.

VZ as an example.
If you buy the phone on payments, your line is $20 a month.
If you buy the phone on contract ($350), your line is $40 a month. Do the math, they are getting their money back without you knowing. Sorry budd.

Of course they are getting our money. The point that you responded to is one many forget, including tech blogs and technical folks in forums likes these. The point being: Most people DO NOT pay full price out of pocket for their phone. They don't, full stop.

Many folks here do. Many in the tech blog community do, including the writers. But most general users go into their carrier (in the US) after their contract is up - or more recently - their device payment plan is up, and select a new phone and pay a discounted price for it, or pay monthly payments. That is what the vast majority of US phone users do. They don't pay full price.

When one argues value as it relates to price, most people are quoting the $900 you'd have to put out, as if most people would have to put that down tomorrow to get the phone. The point is most of the general public doesn't buy phones that way in the US. As such, it is much easier to justify a $35 / month increase than it may be to justify $900 spent tomorrow. The problem is writers do not seem to realize this or care about this and the fail to qualify their value statements regarding that price. And yes, we know (and it is obvious) that the carriers are getting their money over the long run anyway.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Of course they are getting our money. The point that you responded to is one many forget, including tech blogs and technical folks in forums likes these. The point being: Most people DO NOT pay full price out of pocket for their phone. They don't, full stop.

Many folks here do. Many in the tech blog community do, including the writers. But most general users go into their carrier (in the US) after their contract is up - or more recently - their device payment plan is up, and select a new phone and pay a discounted price for it, or pay monthly payments. That is what the vast majority of US phone users do. They don't pay full price.

When one argues value as it relates to price, most people are quoting the $900 you'd have to put out, as if most people would have to put that down tomorrow to get the phone. The point is most of the general public doesn't buy phones that way in the US. As such, it is much easier to justify a $35 / month increase than it may be to justify $900 spent tomorrow. The problem is writers do not seem to realize this or care about this and the fail to qualify their value statements regarding that price. And yes, we know (and it is obvious) that the carriers are getting their money over the long run anyway.
For me personally though, it is still $900. Doesn't matter if I'm paying it all at once or in chunks. People who choose to look at "just" monthly payments are not being smart about their Financials. Oh wait, yes, we live in the USA the land of credit cards and monthly payments. Sad, if you ask me.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
For me personally though, it is still $900. Doesn't matter if I'm paying it all at once or in chunks. People who choose to look at "just" monthly payments are not being smart about their Financials. Oh wait, yes, we live in the USA the land of credit cards and monthly payments. Sad, if you ask me.

You are on the money.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

You still missed the point. It's not whether you or anyone feels one type of payment is better than another. It's the fact that no one MENTIONS the other methods of payment people use (and those other methods encompass the vast majority of all purchases), while judging the value of a phone specific only to a $900 up front cost.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You still missed the point. It's not whether you or anyone feels one type of payment is better than another. It's the fact that no one MENTIONS the other methods (which are the vast majority), while pontificating about the value of a phone specific only to a $900 up front cost.
No I'm not missing the point. The phone costs $900 and will still cost $900 even if you do monthly payments. POINT. Cost is cost, and what people over here are taking about how much the phone costs not how you pay for it.

I say it again, if people have $900 to part with (payments or all up front), then more power to them and they should get the phone if that's what they want.
Me on the other hand, I'll keep my $900. That will make me happy just like others who decided to buy it are happy too :) - every body win.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
No I'm not missing the point. The phone costs $900 and will still cost $900 even if you do monthly payments. POINT. Cost is cost, and what people over here are taking about how much the phone costs not how you pay for it.

I say it again, if people have $900 to part with (payments or all up front), then more power to them and they should get the phone if that's what they want.
Me on the other hand, I'll keep my $900. That will make me happy just like others who decided to buy it are happy too :) - every body win.

Oy vey. No one is arguing that you'll pay less overall with payment plans, and yet you continue to post as if someone is arguing differently. You said you got my point, but it doesn't seem so, and I won't reiterate it here. In any case, value is certainly specific to the individual, and we can agree on that it seems.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo