Samsung Galaxy Note7 -- Verizon Users

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I figure since everyone got warm and fuzzy with each other over on the pre-order thread that it wouldn't hurt to create a more relevant thread.

We have one over on the S7E forum that was pretty successful as far as Verizon prisoners...I mean, customers, helping each other out with troubleshooting and day-to-day mischief.

Let's recreate the magic, eh?

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a couple of threads about lag, but I haven't experienced any lag in anything (as of yet) on my Note 7. I had been planning on trying out TouchWiz, and then going to a different launcher when I experienced the dreaded and much talked about TouchWiz lag (but I haven't encountered it), but I've stuck with TouchWiz. (Coming from an HTC One M8 which is said to be close to pure android I was surprised to find TouchWiz smooth and lag free). I had planned to go into developer mode and turn off animation, but after using it for the first two days I didn't see a reason to. (I eventually did go in because I'd heard about being able to set animation to 0.5, and was curious). For people that are experiencing lag try lowering or turning off animation in developer mode, and then try a couple of the other things I've listed below to see if they help you.

People had said that the sound quality wouldn't be good on the Note 7, but I've found it to be good. (Once again coming from the HTC One m8 I expected it to be very bad in comparison). You may find you'll like it even more after changing settings in the equalizer area of the sound settings. If you're going to listen to music/sound with headphones go in and set the adaptive sound where it tests your hearing with beeps to customize the sound to you.

During the end of my run with my m8 (before I got my Note 7). I switched from using Verizon's Support and Protect app to using Avast and saw a large increase in my battery life. I haven't switched anti-malware/anti-virus apps on my Note 7 yet, but I probably will at some point.

In Application manager I disabled:
Caller Name ID
Hangouts
NFL Mobile
Slacker Radio
VZ Navigator
(edit: Also make sure to disable DTIginte. You have to click on the three dots at the top right, and choose show system apps.)
If you don't use the Verizon Tones, (Verizon's) Cloud, Support and Protect (if you're using a different anti-malware/anti-virus protection), or any other Verizon apps you can disable them as well.
Apply a dark wallpaper and/or theme to save on battery.
I've switched my phone to adaptive brightness. For those that don't already know the Note 7 has two ambient light sensors - one on the front (top) and one on the back (camera area)). The screen is always has always maintained a excellent level of brightness and contrast while I've had ambient light enabled, and I haven't visually noticed when it makes the change in brightness it does it so smoothly. (In maximum power saving mode outside the screen can get a bit too dark - it might be switching off the adaptive setting- , but in the mid setting it still has wonderful brightness and contrast).
Color wise I've set my phone to basic (which is the most true to life color representation).

If you're not going to be using your phone for anything for awhile (sleeping, working, watching tv, etc) switch it over to maximum battery mode. I've now gone multiple days (three +) without needing to charge it. If you've got a android wear watch (like I do - an Asus ZenWatch 2), and you want to keep its connection active you can put it in mid power mode, or customize maximum power mode.

Those are a few of the changes I've made, or plan to make to my Verizon Note 7, and have found beneficial. Hopefully other's will find them useful as well.

I'm very much enjoying my phone so far, and have nothing to complain about.

Last edited:

PraetorianGuard14

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I've seen a couple of threads about lag, but I haven't experienced any lag in anything (as of yet) on my Note 7. I had been planning on trying out TouchWiz, and then going to a different launcher when I experienced the dreaded and much talked about TouchWiz lag (but I haven't encountered it), but I've stuck with TouchWiz. (Coming from an HTC One M8 which is said to be close to pure android I was surprised to find TouchWiz smooth and lag free). I had planned to go into developer mode and turn off animation, but after using it for the first two days I didn't see a reason to. (I eventually did go in because I'd heard about being able to set animation to 0.5, and was curious). For people that are experiencing lag try lowering or turning off animation in developer mode, and then try a couple of the other things I've listed below to see if they help you.

People had said that the sound quality wouldn't be good on the Note 7, but I've found it to be good. (Once again coming from the HTC One m8 I expected it to be very bad in comparison). You may find you'll like it even more after changing settings in the equalizer area of the sound settings. If you're going to listen to music/sound with headphones go in and set the adaptive sound where it tests your hearing with beeps to customize the sound to you.

During the end of my run with my m8 (before I got my Note 7). I switched from using Verizon's Support and Protect app to using Avast and saw a large increase in my battery life. I haven't switched anti-malware/anti-virus apps on my Note 7 yet, but I probably will at some point.

In Application manager I disabled:
Caller Name ID
Hangouts
NFL Mobile
Slacker Radio
VZ Navigator
If you don't use the Verizon Tones, (Verizon's) Cloud, Support and Protect (if you're using a different anti-malware/anti-virus protection), or any other Verizon apps you can disable them as well.
Apply a dark wallpaper and/or theme to save on battery.
I've switched my phone to adaptive brightness. For those that don't already know the Note 7 has two ambient light sensors - one on the top and one on the bottom). The screen is always has always maintained a excellent level of brightness and contrast while I've had ambient light enabled, and I haven't visually noticed when it makes the change in brightness it does it so smoothly. (In maximum power saving mode outside the screen can get a bit too dark - it might be switching off the adaptive setting- , but in the mid setting it still has wonderful brightness and contrast).
Color wise I've set my phone to basic (which is the most true to life color representation).

If you're not going to be using your phone for anything for awhile (sleeping, working, watching tv, etc) switch it over to maximum battery mode. I've now gone multiple days (three +) without needing to charge it. If you've got a android wear watch (like I do - an Asus ZenWatch 2), and you want to keep its connection active you can put it in mid power mode, or customize maximum power mode.

Those are a few of the changes I've made, or plan to make to my Verizon Note 7, and have found beneficial. Hopefully other's will find them useful as well.

I'm very much enjoying my phone so far, and have nothing to complain about.

Great post! Thanks for sharing!

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Coming from an iPhone here and scared to disable anything. I've had every iPhone and finally jumped ship to the note 7. So far I love it and get about 5 hours of screen on time.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to Verizon from AT&T. Got the Note 7 and have been really enjoying it. As far as the lag I have noticed that with previous Notes, those with Exynos processors seem to be smoother than those with Qualcom processors. My Note 5 was always smooth. I have noticed some lag with the Note 7 but it hasn't been problematic. I love this smartphone and I'm enjoying Verizon as well.

tk-093

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for starting the post. I'm loving my Note 7 so far. I came from the Note 5 which wasn't bad, except for the horrible battery life. I've had mine for a week now and so far it's the best dang phone that I've used.

I haven't messed with the battery settings yet.. will probably take a look at that at some point. I had to always plug my Note 5 in during the day or it would puke out before I go to bed (between midnight and 1am). I don't think I will have to do this on the Note 7... I know it's early.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
In another post, but relevant here.... thanks to vmmatty!

I have a Note 7 on Verizon and I was in the process of going through Package Disabler Pro to find any apps or tools that I don't need. I saw one called "Samsung Backup and Restore" (com.samsung.android.scloud) which made me think the app was actually on Verizon but they didn't expose the icon to launch it.

Using Nova Launcher I created a shortcut for an Activity and saw that Samsung Backup and Restore was in there with a number of activities underneath.

View attachment 236663

Once I created a shortcut for .app.ui-SCloudActivity (circled in the above screenshot) I was actually able to launch what I think is Samsung Cloud. See below (assuming this posts correctly):

View attachment 236664

Considering that shows I have 15GB and says "Samsung Cloud" I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that's what Verizon is trying to hide. You can click "Back up my data" and see all the options in there as well:

View attachment 236665

I am actually able to kick off a backup successfully though I haven't tried a restore yet.

Since I don't know what Samsung Cloud is supposed to look like, can someone with a Note 7 on a carrier other than Verizon confirm that the screens I posted match what the app actually looks like?

Thanks in advance..

wcupk

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
has anyone used the app write on pdf on the note 7? I see it on my apps list but when i look for it on the phone I do not find it anywhere

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Restarted my Note 7 this morning and noticed the optimizing apps screen with the 2 churning gears running.
Anyone else see this when restarting their Note 7?

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My Note 7 is very smooth and my call quality is awesome. Extremely clear. I don't find the sound bad at all. I have listened to music on it and it is clear. My bluetooth is great with it too. I am not finding faults.

Posted via the Android Central App

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
has anyone used the app write on pdf on the note 7? I see it on my apps list but when i look for it on the phone I do not find it anywhere

I can't find it either. But I noticed that it is an option when choosing "Open With" from the menu when viewing a .pdf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis