Samsung Galaxy Note7 -- Verizon Users

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
According to Verizon, you can only use voice and data simultaneously if whoever you are on the call with is also using HD Calling.
I don't believe this to be true. I just called my main work number which puts you in and endless auto Attendant if you don't make a selection. I then surfed to several sites I've never visited (random Google search) with no trouble at all. All while wifi was turned off and the call was continued without issue.

I'd tested this last year with the Note 5 but had to test again to be sure. This would be a deal breaker for me.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
LOL I just want one similar to the Samsung one. Punctuation on SwiftKey is killing me at the moment.
If you go into swiftkey settings, you can reduce the time for the "long press duration". I always change it from default 400ms down to 200ms. This will greatly improve your ability to use punctuation. It will become quick and easy.

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
It's weird because I didn't do anything, but I think SwiftKey learned I didn't like tapping the punctuation key on the left and find a numeric keyboard rather than punctuation. Old habits die hard, but I think SwiftKey likes me. Haha.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I guess I should rephrase, having the number row above my keyboard like the stock keyboard is important to me...any of the 3rd party keyboards have the option to have the number row?

TouchPal keyboard. Can add # row. Tons of themes. Good prediction, and swipe for secondary characters makes it super quick. Swipe is tons better than SwiftKeys swipe functionality.

p51

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I can get simultaneous voice and data. Also switched because it was slightly cheaper. Signal strength has been slightly better. Data speeds are faster.

Appreciate the reply. I had heard previously that Verizon data speeds were slower than AT&T & more expensive. Good to hear that isn't the case.

G6400

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
I came from ATT note 5, VZW network simply better fits my needs. Like most folks here, I optimized a bit by disabling extra crappy apps and procs.. Overall good experience here the only exceptions being the Samsung Notes_ missing many features made S-note Legendary_especially regarding design and interface (Samsung promised improvements @ the next update) for now I'm using both. S-pen sometimes needs more than one touch to register, (maybe it's difference from old one and hand will readjust over time), downloaded google keyboard black (I tried several others but when it comes to certain things like languages, maps etc..winner is Google). Screen - personally I don't like adaptive brightness _ they should come up with manual calibration of that, so it can fit my level. Extremely beneficial feature for all is blue light filter, I put on time schedule - when you switch for first time it feels really bad but wait just a few minutes and you adapt nicely and one can adjust it as well. Edge screen - I like the idea but wish there would be more usable faces to download, I hope developers get more creative here still. Does anybody knows how to make a screen shoot of the always on screen?

Last edited:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
According to Verizon, you can only use voice and data simultaneously if whoever you are on the call with is also using HD Calling.

This is not true, although I heard the same thing.

I just tried it. I called my cell from my home/landline phone. I had Wifi turned off on the phone, I was on LTE when I answered the call. I then went to some websites fine, and tried some other apps and had a solid connection. On the Note 7, I do have "Advanced Calling" turned on.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
HD calling only can work if both ends are HD capable and enabled.

True. However, he wasn't referring to HD calling.

He was referring to a Verizon rep incorrectly stating that both sides of the connection need to be HD enabled to be able to use concurrent Voice + Data. This is false, as James pointed out. Voice + Data on LTE work fine, once you turn on Advanced calling (and are in a 4G area). The other end of the connection does not factor in this scenario.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
True. However, he wasn't referring to HD calling.

He was referring to a Verizon rep incorrectly stating that both sides of the connection need to be HD enabled to be able to use concurrent Voice + Data. This is false, as James pointed out. Voice + Data on LTE work fine, once you turn on Advanced calling (and are in a 4G area). The other end of the connection does not factor in this scenario.

This is correct.

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine works whether the other person had HD calling enabled or not. I just called my home phone and while it was ringing I surfed the net in the browser. Loaded a new web page just fine. You're still using data to make your phone call so you should be all good to use simultaneous voice and data as long as you have the feature enabled

As usual, technical information from Verizon is somewhat suspect. It appears that as long as both are on 4G, it should be ok. I suspect that when you called home, you were ok because the connection wasn't completed. But I could easily be wrong. I do know that there are occasions where I get an error message saying that I cannot get data while on a phone call, but I have not been able to pin down the conditions.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
As usual, technical information from Verizon is somewhat suspect. It appears that as long as both are on 4G, it should be ok. I suspect that when you called home, you were ok because the connection wasn't completed. But I could easily be wrong. I do know that there are occasions where I get an error message saying that I cannot get data while on a phone call, but I have not been able to pin down the conditions.
I've tried it since then when the connection was completed, and others have also confirmed that it doesn't matter what kind of connection the other person have. The only time it doesn't work is if your phone call is on 3g.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Same here, factory film still in place. I read a post that said the Verizon clear was hard to remove. I hope I can remove it after weeks of use. I have the Samsung screen protectors on the way.
I have an Otterbox Symmetry Case (love it) and keeping the original films front and back until I find tempered glass that works with the case.

HaVoK_C89

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Anyone have problems with screen over sensitivity or with the S Pen not always coming out?

My screen issue is that when I'm typing it'll put ccaaaatt vs just cat, and sometimes it clicks links when I'm just trying to swipe.

My S Pen sometimes gets stuck and I have to use something to really press it hard to get it to click out. It usually feels like it's being hung up though whenever press it it to get it to come out.

Shamshi-Adad

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed some lag and freezing issues ended up resetting the phone freezing issues stop. But there's still some lage
Chris,
when you're having serious problems like that, when you do the factory reset, DO NOT, do the restore. 9 times out of 10 freezing AND lag will be fixed. You'll have to suffer the labor of setting the phone up all over again and re-installing apps, but that's the best way. Once you've done it you can fly right through the Factory Data Reset (with no restore).

Peace. Alan

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else stoked about Verizon LTE Advanced being released today? I checked their city list and imagine my surprise when I saw my podunk Montana town listed.

Really looking forward to the update on my N7!

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Also, I called and talked to Brandon at VZW today and was able to take advantage of the new L plan with an extra 2 GB of data per month. The purchase of a Note 7 is apparently a qualifying purchase.