IRIS Scanner is actually pretty cool and works great.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
Just started playing with the IRIS scanner today and I'm pretty impressed with it.
Even works when I have my old fart glasses on. Neat little Gadget.

rajeeee

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
It takes tad longer at dark and with glasses. I tested with recording my iris (face) by another cell phone and tried showing that video and ofcourse it wouldn't work.
I thought training with glasses on would do better for unlocking with glasses so I tried training with glasses on but it performed much worse than training without glasses and unlocking with glasses. Bottom line: get off your glasses and contacts for the training.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Sometimes the iris scanner is so fast, that, the phone unlocks before the little circle things can appear... I'm impressed

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
It works extremely fast with my glasses as long as there's no glare. Works pretty good in the pitch black too. Occasionally I have to lift my glasses, but not often.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
The only time it doesn't work is when I'm wearing my mirrored Oakleys. But I set up fingerprint for when I'm wearing those. Other than that, I use iris lock all day

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Definitely going to use it because there are a few times when ur finger tips are wet or I have gloves on where the iris would be more convenient.....Especially during the east coast winter coming up..Taking off ur gloves in 20 degree Temps to unlock your phone is a thing of the past now

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Definitely going to use it because there are a few times when ur finger tips are wet or I have gloves on where the iris would be more convenient.....Especially during the east coast winter coming up..Taking off ur gloves in 20 degree Temps to unlock your phone is a thing of the past now

It's funny, I was just thinking about this earlier today. I am out in the cold a bit at tailgates, etc. I figured it would be really useful. It seemed super useful in that situation until I realized: After I unlock it with my Iris, then what? To use the phone you still have to use you fingers then. I know the S-pen is a possibility, but then we are really getting into the weeds :)

Strong_Genetics

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Well I have gloves that I can use with touch screens without taking them off....Got them off amazon so I can operate my phone during the winter without taking off the gloves....:)

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to get used to it. I love that momentary feeling of awesomeness when it unlocks nearly instantly.

I can't get used to (so far) the order of screens. Feels like there is an extra. The Always On Display throws me off. I want to swipe it out of the way, then scan my eyes, but I first have to clear the AOD, then swipe up to get the Iris scanner to come up.. totally ruing the iris scanner being better with gloves on!... I appreciate why the did it, but it is a second (third?) touch of the screen, when my finger is only millimeters away from the finger print scanner.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't get the thing to register my irises. I've tried and tried in all different kinds of light, and I just get a message that it's failed to recognize. No screen protector on my device. Only thing I can think is I had LASIK years ago, I wonder if that messes with it somehow?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is.

It's very fast to detect your iris, sometimes to the point where the preview window doesn't even appear. Only issue with it to me is that it's kinda limited in functionality, though I'm optimistic that the tech can evolve in the future.

Despite that, it's still a secondary form of unlocking for me. The fingerprint sensor on my unit is insanely fast. About the same speed as the iPhone 6s, as it already unlocks if I press the button to wake the display.

queenren

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
The iris scanner is way better than I thought it would be! It's pretty quick and it works with my contacts (I even set it up with my contacts on!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36