Is it better to move whatever apps you can to sd card?

Chitown28

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Im wondering does moving apps to sd card help the phone run better or any benefit besides having more space? Do you think apps load up faster on sd card or on the phone memory?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Im wondering does moving apps to sd card help the phone run better or any benefit besides having more space? Do you think apps load up faster on sd card or on the phone memory?

It'll always be faster from the phone's internal memory.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You also run the risk of apps becoming buggy on the SD card, and widgets will no longer function on them. You also can't move the entire app. It'll always leave a portion on the internal storage, and the amount moved varies by app (if any).

Dealz417

Aug 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm not familiar with android 6 Marshmallow but I heard it's possible when installing a micro sd card to set the micro sd card as media storage only, is that right?

If so once set for media storage only apps will never be installed to the micro sd card?

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with android 6 Marshmallow but I heard it's possible when installing a micro sd card to set the micro sd card as media storage only, is that right?

If so once set for media storage only apps will never be installed to the micro sd card?
I believe Samsung has made this the default and doesn't give you the choice. I know own when I installed my sd card, it did not ask or give me an option.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all these responses. Never for apps. Only music, videos and pictures. You shouldn't have to worry about running out of app space with 64gb if you do this.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Another reason to not move the apps to SD that I noticed on my GS7e... whenever the app is updated, it moves it back to internal memory so you'll need to move it again. Ain't got time for dat!