How to set mobile Hotspot password?

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Someone here showed me where the Hotspot menu item is, and today was the first time I was going to use it so my tablet could get data via wifi. I was able to turn the Hotspot on and select it in my tablet wifi menu, but I was asked for a password. No clue, I never set one up and don't know how! There are no other options in the Hotspot menu, no hamburger menu, nothing. I would upload screen shots, but apparently the mobile website doesn't allow you to do that.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Select the down arrow next to the mobile hotspot toggle, more settings . this will tell you that password. You can change it by picking the overflow button to configure hotspot.

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
With T-Mobile it's right in the menu. Just tap the password field and you can set one.

Here is my screenshot. You can see I don't have the triple-dot menu widget in the top right, or anything else for that matter. Any thoughts?

EDIT: So I just looked at the screenshot and saw the triple dot widget. This is the really weird thing, that thing is *not* there when I am in that menu. I just grabbed my phone and turned on the mobile hotspot thing again, no triple-button. I even tapped that area of the screen to see if a menu would drop down and nothing. I'll try to take a short video of me doing this later today to prove I'm not crazy. So....WTF??

Screenshot_20160824-183354.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160824-183327.jpg
    Screenshot_20160824-183327.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 5

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
With T-Mobile it's right in the menu. Just tap the password field and you can set one.

So I just took a pic of what I see when I turn on my hotspot. No triple-dot menu to assign or change a password. Even though my screenshot I just posted shows the menu. Arrrrrgh.

IMG_20160825_062644.jpg

CincyGuy

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Problem solved. I actually had to tap directly on the words "Mobile HotSpot" in the picture above to get the new page to open with the password settings. I tapped on it twice to get it to open the first time, but after turning off the hotspot and doing it again it opened right away with one tap. Almost like it was stuck before being accessed the first time.

Very unintuitive I will say. It is a radio toggle option (on or off for hotspot), yet you are supposed to know you should tap on the words for the radio toggle to bring up another menu. I liked how stock Android handled this much better in the quick settings pull-down menu.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Problem solved. I actually had to tap directly on the words "Mobile HotSpot" in the picture above to get the new page to open with the password settings. I tapped on it twice to get it to open the first time, but after turning off the hotspot and doing it again it opened right away with one tap. Almost like it was stuck before being accessed the first time.

Very unintuitive I will say. It is a radio toggle option (on or off for hotspot), yet you are supposed to know you should tap on the words for the radio toggle to bring up another menu. I liked how stock Android handled this much better in the quick settings pull-down menu.

Usually this is how T-Mobile does it. You tap on the Mobile Hotspot and it takes you to the options.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36