ATT Note 7 keeps reverting to default ringtone

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Has this happened with anyone else? I usually don't like to use the ringtones that come preinstalled on the phone, so one of the first things that I did was go to Zedge and download some ringtones that are suitable for an office environment. Even after repeatedly selecting a basic ringtone for my phone calls it seems like the phone reverts back to AT&T Firefly ringtone after every restart.

Anyone else experienced this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are the custom tones stored in the Ringtones directory on Internal Storage, or on an SD card? Or did you use the Zedge app to set the ringtone (rather than downloading from the Zedge website)?

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Stored on internal storage, and I used the Zedge app to set the ringtone. Once I've done that however, the ringtones that I've downloaded show up in the list of available ringtones in settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if it might be an issue with the Zedge app. Try downloading the ringtone from the Zedge website (either on your phone browser or your computer browser), then move that file to the Ringtones directory on your main user directory (on Internal Storage). Does it still revert back to default?

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it might be an issue with the Zedge app. Try downloading the ringtone from the Zedge website (either on your phone browser or your computer browser), then move that file to the Ringtones directory on your main user directory (on Internal Storage). Does it still revert back to default?

Frustratingly enough, it doesn't appear that the ringtone I want is available through the website, I can only find it on the app. If it continues to revert I will try to do it with a different ringtone that is available both in the app and on the website.

Edit: I tried uninstalling and re-installing the Zedge app, then re downloading the ringtone I want. After rebooting my phone it held, so hopefully it's been fixed now. Thanks for your help!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This same thing used to happen to me on my Note 5 and my Galaxy S6...it even happened when I switched another pre-installed ringtone it always reverted back to some other one...I could never figure out why

Now on my Note 7 it doesn't do it *fingers crossed*

Cowboy8467

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, nevermind, it reverted back to default again. I'm going to keep playing around with it to try and figure out what's going on.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Happening to me too. I haven't figured out why either. I'm using ringtones I've had for years. Not from an app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ugh, nevermind, it reverted back to default again. I'm going to keep playing around with it to try and figure out what's going on.

Zedge's website has a pretty lousy search function, so it might still be there, but just hard to find. What's it called?

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I had an issue, then I copied my preferred audio files form storage card to device storage (folders - Ringtones, Notifications, Alarms) no issues since.

Cheers,
BR

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Happened to me with pre installed ringtone. Just checked and it was back on the initial att firefly or whatever it's called. Changed it again and going to keep an eye on it.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone tried using My Files and moved the ring tone from the Zedge folder or wherever it is, to the ring tone folder?

Also if you go to sounds from the menu and choose "add" try and add the ring tone that way?

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm having this same issue on my Verizon phone (only reverting back to the Verizon Airwaves tone, not AT&T).

I've tried moving the files to my memory card, I've tried moving them back to the phone, I've selected them, reselected them, etc. They simply won't "stick". It always reverts back to VZW ringtone after a reboot, though sometimes it takes several minutes after the reboot. There is another thread here about it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yep, that's the one, thanks. I've given it another shot, I downloaded it to my computer and then transferred it over manually to the ringtone folder specifically on my phone. I hope it will hold up.

Keeping fingers crossed.:) FYI, the way to find the ringtone on the Zedge site is to enter "zedge.net/ringtone/nnn," where nnn is the string of digits at the end of the ringtone you mentioned (in this case, 1798956).

z28marols1

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
VZW Note 7 here, I am having the same problem since I got the phone on 8/18. Using the same ringtone I have on 4 other phones. Out of curiosity I changed it to another built in ringtone but it still defaulted back to Airwaves after an arbitrary amount of time, usually a couple of hours. This is getting frustrating as I absolutely loathe that ringtone lol. I thought it might have something to do with storage being encrypted but I don't have the same problem on my nexus 6 which is also encrypted.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
VZW Note 7 here, I am having the same problem since I got the phone on 8/18. .... This is getting frustrating as I absolutely loathe that ringtone LOL.

They take away Samsung Cloud (presumably to get their grubby little paws on our data/make us pay THEM for more storage for their backup system), they take away the ability to schedule reboots, they give us THEIR version of the system menu which is ugly and confusing and not organized (presumably to make it easier on their tech support)...and then after ALL that I have to hear their #*&% ringtone when I get a call??!!! Infuriating I tell you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital