SD card corrupted my photos

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Some of you might remember that I have been experiencing 128 gb SD card drama since the arrival of my Note 7. I have used two different cards from two different manufacturers and I have not had much luck especially in downloading Google movies. My last attempt was on a freshly formatted in the phone card.

I downloaded two Google movies just fine. Then I spent hours with the phone connected to my computer downloading all my music. It downloaded fine and plays. But then when I tried to download the rest of my many Google movies and no luck. Movies would no longer download.

So I have not yet done much with my camera because I have been busy, but next week is vacation and I will taking a lot of pics and videos. My husband and I took the dogs for a run last night and I took some pictures. I had taken a few random pictures the day before. The pictures were set to be stored on the card. Well, the card corrupted almost every picture I had taken.

If you are going to use an SD card to store photos, especially 128 and above, please do some experimenting first. I lost some cute pictures but just happy I found out about this early on so that I do not lose anymore. When I get the wherewithal to re-download all my music, I am switching back to a 64gb card and getting rid of the higher capacity card since it is just not working out for me on my phone or my tablet.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
First step - SD Insight. Not all "128GB cards" have 128GB of storage. (A 4GB card can be programmed to claim it has 128GB - store 5GB on it and you have garbage.) I stick with the originators of SD storage - SanDisk. The only SanDisk card I ever had fail failed because I broke one edge of the card. (I have cards rated in MB - they still work, they're just not worth anything any more.)

Second step - format the card as external storage when you put it into the phone. Having 128GB additional internal storage is nice - when it works.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
First step - SD Insight. Not all "128GB cards" have 128GB of storage. (A 4GB card can be programmed to claim it has 128GB - store 5GB on it and you have garbage.) I stick with the originators of SD storage - SanDisk. The only SanDisk card I ever had fail failed because I broke one edge of the card. (I have cards rated in MB - they still work, they're just not worth anything any more.)

Second step - format the card as external storage when you put it into the phone. Having 128GB additional internal storage is nice - when it works.

I tried a Samsung and a Kingston. I have never had any problem with either of those brand cards at smaller capacity. I did format the cards when they were in the phone. It's all been a big headache.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Oh, and I will check that link as well. Thank you!

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I noticed something when I put in my sd card I got from the Samsung promotion. I never had to format the card even after I loaded music from my MBP through the sd slot on it. Maybe it's because it's a Samsung card in a Samsung phone?

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I noticed something when I put in my sd card I got from the Samsung promotion. I never had to format the card even after I loaded music from my MBP through the sd slot on it. Maybe it's because it's a Samsung card in a Samsung phone?
I did that as well. However, I formatted mine this morning trying to diagnose my wallpaper issue.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I did that as well. However, I formatted mine this morning trying to diagnose my wallpaper issue.

I'll keep an eye on it, but so far my music is playing fine. Haven't used the camera yet since I installed the card so I'm hoping for the best.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't trust sd cards for photos. I don't even trust internal really. I have Google Photos set to backup my photos when on wifi and charging (pretty much at home) so it does that for me to keep them safe.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site

This is very important. Where did you buy the card from? Its pretty much the most dodgy thing you can buy on the internet with so many fakes everywhere.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

One of the cards was a Samsung.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
One of the cards was a Samsung.

I remember reading your post about Google Movies earlier, but I had since forgotten. I've got to be at work in a few hours so I won't have time to mess with it now, but tomorrow I'll see what happens if I try to dl some movies. Have you tried to format as external storage yet and take some pics to see what happens yet?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading your post about Google Movies earlier, but I had since forgotten. I've got to be at work in a few hours so I won't have time to mess with it now, but tomorrow I'll see what happens if I try to dl some movies. Have you tried to format as external storage yet and take some pics to see what happens yet?

I am actually giving up on these high capacity cards. I have spent countless hours of my time messing with them so I accept that they will not work for me as of this time.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a 128GB Samsung card in my S7 Edge right now that I bought from BestBuy. It's been problem free since getting the card in March.

I'm still thinking you got a fake card even though it came in Samsun packaging, that can be faked. Amazon has been getting a lot of heat for selling counterfeit products on their site so they are supposedly trying to clean it up but I'm still sure some slip through.

1213 1213

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Both were in original packaging from Amazon
I think there were some third party sellers on amazon selling dodgy stuff, same as eBay.

Maybe put up a link of the product?

Firstly, check the reviews on amazon, and if you see even a few negative reviews, then find out what sort of software you need to check if its real or not. Remember that a lot of people don't realise its fake and just give a positive review, some people never fill it up enough to find out if its fake too.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I think there were some third party sellers on amazon selling dodgy stuff, same as eBay.

Maybe put up a link of the product?

Firstly, check the reviews on amazon, and if you see even a few negative reviews, then find out what sort of software you need to check if its real or not. Remember that a lot of people don't realise its fake and just give a positive review, some people never fill it up enough to find out if its fake too.

I have a problem with how Amazon does product reviews. They lump all product reviews of the same product together no matter who you bought through. If you bought a model of headphones for example from a 3rd party seller. Those reviews are usually lumped together with the same model bought directly through the manufacturer if they also sell through Amazon. Makes it harder to tell the authentic from the possible fake products.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The other thing becoming rampant on Amazon are all the darn reviews with "I was offered this product at a discount or for free for my honest and unbiased review".

R-i-g-h-t.

Skatergirl: Sorry to see you are having so much trouble and I will heed your words! I am supposed to get the promotional SD card from Samsung and had planned to load that thing up so I'll keep you in mind when I do finally get it.