Screen Cast Without Wifi?

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Have to be on same wifi network to do that. We're talking no wifi solutions
I'm aware of that, but even just connecting was a hassle, and I can connect with Bluetooth but nothing happens, why is that? The set also has WiFi direct, but nothing shows either.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK, let me get this straight, you were hooked up to home wifi for data and could simulcast to screen beam to tv? I didn't think simultaneous wifi and direct wifi was possible.

I know it works fine without wifi connection. I'm surprised it works with wifi connection.

I'm back on Note 3 now so it must be different.

I haven't tried it at home in a while...but I think you are correct. I think I had to turn the wifi off on my phone, then select Smart View and connect via wifi direct to the t.v., THEN open Netflix on my phone which at that point was no longer using my home wifi but rather, LTE, for the Netflix data. I think when I opened Netflix while wifi was still on and connected directly to my router it didn't work.

So the ScreenBeam is a direct wifi connection only...it "listens" to the phone, the phone talks to it, and any data the phone uses to transmit to the ScreenBeam is coming via the wireless carrier plan (in my case Verizon).

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, just like Microsoft adapter but I don't have great mouth to sound sync. Off just enough to be annoying. I have to forget home wifi or when I turn on wifi direct phone drops adapter and connects to home wifi instead even though phone wifi was turned off When wifi connect device connects it turns on phone wifi then my phone drops device and connects to home. I either have to shut off router (no) or forget home network. No idea why I have to then restart phone but I do.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps what you are describing is why I had issues with the Samsung hub when I tried it. I didn't restart the phone, or forget my home network. I just figured if it didn't work even in the environment where there was no wifi available at all, then it wasn't going to work for me.

Very frustrating that this is ALL because something that used to work in older phones is now not supported. And I'm too fried to delve into the whole USB C is capable but we don't have it. WHY?? Why is it always one little feature that would be hugely nice to have that is held back?

Blaze9

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Huh, so weird. I setup my chromecast on my phone using 2 phones. Set my main point as a hotspot, used second phone to setup chromecast to my hotspot. Disconnected my second phone. Using the google cast app I can now screenshare to my chromecast while still hosting a hotspot. That's awesome, I don't think I need any other hardware anymore. I didn't know they updated chromecast to allow hotspot screen mirroring.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Huh, so weird. I setup my chromecast on my phone using 2 phones. Set my main point as a hotspot, used second phone to setup chromecast to my hotspot. Disconnected my second phone. Using the google cast app I can now screenshare to my chromecast while still hosting a hotspot. That's awesome, I don't think I need any other hardware anymore. I didn't know they updated chromecast to allow hotspot screen mirroring.
That is interesting. Please let us know if there are further developments.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
A particular brand or Chromcast?

It's the device I was speaking of on the first page of this thread. It's another dongle type device that you plug into the HDMI port on your t.v., and then you can mirror to it so you can play content from your phone to the t.v. Just like the device you had and the Samsung Hub. It's called ScreenBeam Mini 2, I believe (I think that's the full name).

https://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Sc...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5629952

Last edited:

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I get the same result now with netflix and hulu. the audio mirrors but not the video. that is with a screenbeam mini

This is weird because I just used mine last night for the first time with the S7 Edge and it worked flawlessly...in fact even better than Note 7 in that the audio was in perfect sync with the video. With the Note 7 there was sometimes a very very slight offset...not enough to ruin the experience but it was there. HOWEVER, my connection did drop a few times. I was at my boyfriends and I have set up as a "my places" and one of the things that it does is turn off wifi...so I suspect the drop would happen because it would suddenly re-recognize that's where I was and turn off wifi. The mirror cast does something where it creates it's own wifi connection so I think it would turn that off because it knows wifi shouldn't be on at that location. Hopefully that makes sense.

So I'm very happy with the performance of the S7 Edge with the ScreenBeam Mini. I'm wondering, are you using the supplied HDMI cable extender, or your own HDMI cable? Because I'm wondering if swapping out the HDMI cable would fix your audio issue. Or trying a different port on the t.v. Or, lastly, rebooting the phone and reconnecting to the ScreenBeam. I used it last night with Netflix and it worked great.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is weird because I just used mine last night for the first time with the S7 Edge and it worked flawlessly...in fact even better than Note 7 in that the audio was in perfect sync with the video. With the Note 7 there was sometimes a very very slight offset...not enough to ruin the experience but it was there. HOWEVER, my connection did drop a few times. I was at my boyfriends and I have set up as a "my places" and one of the things that it does is turn off wifi...so I suspect the drop would happen because it would suddenly re-recognize that's where I was and turn off wifi. The mirror cast does something where it creates it's own wifi connection so I think it would turn that off because it knows wifi shouldn't be on at that location. Hopefully that makes sense.

So I'm very happy with the performance of the S7 Edge with the ScreenBeam Mini. I'm wondering, are you using the supplied HDMI cable extender, or your own HDMI cable? Because I'm wondering if swapping out the HDMI cable would fix your audio issue. Or trying a different port on the t.v. Or, lastly, rebooting the phone and reconnecting to the ScreenBeam. I used it last night with Netflix and it worked great.
It's odd. My Note 7 was also out of sync with Microsoft version of dongle but it works perfectly with my LG V20. I did have to shut off bluetooth and disconnect Androidwear to connect fir some reason.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Well I just discovered I can't cast Netflix at all using the ScreenBeam...And my boyfriend can't from his phone either. I strongly suspect an issue with the Netflix app. Everything else works (YouTube, movies from memory card, etc.). Anyone else having issues now? Specifically casting Netflix?

ETA: in early January I was able to screencast with Netflix...We watched a documentary on my phone cast to his big screen TV and it worked perfectly fine. So I suspect something has changed with the Netflix app since early January was the last time I tried using it and it worked.

Last edited:

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have a problem with Netflix using hdmi connection. It works for a while then disconnects on its own.
Is that wired or screen casting (mirroring)...Pretty sure you have an older Note that could do a direct connection via cable (mhl?). But you mentioned V20 a few posts above.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Wired connection with V20. Sorry I forgot which forum I was in. Netflix seems to work fine with Microsoft dongle but I only tested for 10 minutes. It took about 50 minutes b4 hdmi started disconnecting but once it did it once it would disconnect about every 10.min

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I have been posting in another thread so thought I'd update here as a search for casting might show this in results...

The most current Netflix App (January 24th on the Play Store) does not work with the ScreenBeam anymore. I called Netflix and they are acknowledging they are hearing of issues for some Android users since introducing the download to SD card feature. To be clear, they introduced downloading prior to the downloading to SD card...the December 9th version 4.12.2 is capable of downloading however it will only download to the internal phone storage (of which I have none left).

Specifically, however, for the ScreenBeam, they are saying their system shows it is "not supported". I explained that it had been working just fine all the way up to the December 9th 4.12.2 and she was very nice and said she'd report it and that "you are right it doesn't make sense it would be supported prior and now it's not". I don't know if this will get anywhere or not and I REALLY hope it's just a bug and not by design, because if Netflix is purposely shutting down the ability to cast then other apps will likely follow suit. Comcast had it shut down from the beginning (jerks)...but Amazon still casts...I haven't tested HBO.

Anyway I encourage you to call Netflix as well if you are experiencing casting problems with Netflix. Good luck.

Last edited: