Is it safe to use old micro usb cables with the samsung adapters that shipped with the phone?

Cropgun

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
With all the news of crappy type c cables possibly ruining phones, I'm curious if I can use my old micro usb cables with the type c adapter included with the note 7. The cables are no name cables that I used with my S3 for quite a long time with no ill effects.

Also is it safe to use my old samsung (black) wall charger that came with my S3? It obviously won't quick charge, but it should still charge at the normal rate right? I need quite a few chargers that I spread out between a few work locations so I always have a charger, and am trying to avoid buying a ton of new cables and wall chargers.

antman451

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering about this also...so far my plan is to just keep buying wireless chargers and sprinkling them all over places I frequent. I'm up to three of those Tronsmart Chocolate chargers, and will end up with more, but that's a lot of cash for charging solutions when I have so many old ones laying around. Plus I may end up somewhere and not have one, so I'd like to know my options.

Hurleygm

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Micro USB cables will not plug into a Note 7. You must have a Type C USB cable because it is a different plug. You can buy adapters like the one that came with the phone, but I don't like them because they end up staying in the phone or getting lost.

As far as using an old USB adapter with a new Type C, that is perfectly fine.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't recommend using those no-name cables.

Sure, they worked just fine with the S3, but I can't guarantee the same with the Note7.

Until Samsung comes out with a statement after they've done their investigation, it's probably best to either use the adapter with a good cable like the one made by the original OEM or use the USB-A to USB-C cable provided in the box, together with a good wallwart, especially the ones made by Samsung.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm using my Note 5 cable with the included Note 7 adapter. The Note 5 cable is longer and more convenient to use while charging. I haven't noticed anything negative such as slow charging or excess heat.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
I have used several Samsung & HTC OEM cables paired with the UNU adapters (I was very careful about the adapters) there was an article about this before the Note release warning about "Not all UBS C adapters are created equal" I have used this combo with no issues. I stopped buying cheapo cables/charging bricks a long time ago, they just are not worth the risk.

Cheers
BR

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using my Note 5 cable with the included Note 7 adapter. The Note 5 cable is longer and more convenient to use while charging. I haven't noticed anything negative such as slow charging or excess heat.
Same. I use my note 5 charger with the adapter at home and I haven't noticed anything.