Will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished N7s for sale?

deepseadiver

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
Here's a thought, will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished Note 7s for sale or will they have the requred parts replaced and be concidered "factory new" and back into the supply chain?

I'm still enjoying my N4 and was on the fence to replace it with the 7.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Good question. Many of these devices never got unwrapped from the boxes so if repaired, they're still never used.

deepseadiver

Sep 11, 2014
Visit site
I pulled the 2.5 million number from an article stating "units sold" not sure of its credibility but I wonder how many were manufactured vs sold. I guess it's not as bad if the device was never unboxed or turned up and updated by the factory, then sold as new.

Maybe the recall replacements that they send back out will be the refurbished units?

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Here's a thought, will Samsung soon have 2.5 million refurbished Note 7s for sale or will they have the requred parts replaced and be concidered "factory new" and back into the supply chain?

I'm still enjoying my N4 and was on the fence to replace it with the 7.

The short answer is YES.

Once a unit leaves the factory and is returned to them opened...it can no longer be sold as new. No matter what. They can however crack the packages/the recalled units, and replace the battery and resell them as reconditioned or refurbished. Anyone who was hoping to sell theirs in a year or 2 is going to find the market flooded with them.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Since the defective part is the battery, changing the battery to a non-defective one doesn't make the phone a refurb.

omgitselaine

Banned
Apr 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: Samsung will exchange US Galaxy Note 7 devices as early as next week!

9906c5fca40c4be7f9857e2321072e63.gif

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't this whole thing hurt the resale value of the note 7... A year from now, those in the know are going to be concerned with buying a used note that has a (potential) bum battery. There's no way of knowing what is the old batch vs new. This whole thing has really boned the note 7. What a mess.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't this whole thing hurt the resale value of the note 7... A year from now, those in the know are going to be concerned with buying a used note that has a (potential) bum battery. There's no way of knowing what is the old batch vs new. This whole thing has really boned the note 7. What a mess.
They should be able to tell by the serial numbers. Any beyond xxxxx will be the new ones with the new battery. As long as you can prove s/n and ownership - box, docs, etc. - you should be fine.

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
All the phones have serial #, IMEI , etc that could and probably will be flagged in a searchable database. I would guess the vast majority of people will be exchanging their phone and the number of units left in the wild will be really small. And Samsung and the carriers should know how many haven't been exchanged and carriers could reach out to the buyers directly if they wanted.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Anyone excited about the possibility of exchanging their device through Samsung should call them and see how that goes. I did and after god knows how long on the phone and 2 supervisors the response was "we arent handling exchanges, you will need to visit your carrier"

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Anyone excited about the possibility of exchanging their device through Samsung should call them and see how that goes. I did and after god knows how long on the phone and 2 supervisors the response was "we arent handling exchanges, you will need to visit your carrier"

I would be patient. Give it a few days and I bet everyone will be on the same page. This is just day 1.

Cappaccinodagreat

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

I guess this COULD happen. I read that the recall did not effect China because they used different battery cells. If thats true, it could be a quick and easy fix.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Mines going back to at&t tomorrow morning. Besides the recall my lcd is failing. But as for samsung customer service, they have no clue whats going on and after my dealings with them on the s7 active Im beginning to think thats pretty much the norm.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie