Battery fire risk goes well beyond Samsung

metllicamilitia

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, I stopped reading after that it said all batteries are prone to blowing up if you do any of things that every battery manufacturer explicitly labels and says not to do to batteries.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Lithium ion batteries have exploded in the past. The issue here is the significant failure rate which is why Samsung is doing a recall

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Well, lithium batteries have a chance of exploding if improperly maintained or manufactured. Remember those hoverboards?

Though the chance of them exploding on the Note7 is probably greater than what is considered normal, so Samsung did the recall.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I also thought I'd add this bit of info.

Samsung's handling of Galaxy Note 7 recall raises conerns for U.S. officials - Recode

Apparently, some retailers are still selling the Note7, even though it's under a recall and carriers plus the big retailers have already pulled them off the shelves.

Perhaps it would be best if Samsung could work with the US Consumer Safety Product Commission in order to make sales of the device during this period illegal so they are sure that no more Notes make it to the hands of more consumers and that all affected units are taken back so that they won't be a potential hazard.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I can see Apple at their Announcement now at least our phones do not explode! You do not have to sleep like This!

b8c569cf56a95ff34c2f3f73a851c59a.jpg

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Oh geez, a 1 in 42,000 chance. Make it illegal to sell? Calm down people, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion!!

Quote from link above:
"Research suggests that you’re more likely to get hurt by a kitchen grease fire or a drunk driver than the battery powering your iPhone​, Kindle or laptop."

"Make it illegal to sell" would also then apply to illegal to have one [Note 7] in ones possession.

I for one have no qualms about having my delivery put on hold, but if I was "lucky" enough to habe one already, as with many others it seems, I would not be paranoid about it exploding. Am more nervous charging multiple 18650 batteries daily in the house for my Vape Mods (e-cigs)

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I think they are handling it well. They will get the recall done and move on. Otherwise it drags on mobile the Toyota example in the article.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh geez, a 1 in 42,000 chance. Make it illegal to sell? Calm down people, you're blowing this WAY out of proportion!!

Quote from link above:
"Research suggests that you’re more likely to get hurt by a kitchen grease fire or a drunk driver than the battery powering your iPhone​, Kindle or laptop."

"Make it illegal to sell" would also then apply to illegal to have one [Note 7] in ones possession.

I for one have no qualms about having my delivery put on hold, but if I was "lucky" enough to habe one already, as with many others it seems, I would not be paranoid about it exploding. Am more nervous charging multiple 18650 batteries daily in the house for my Vape Mods (e-cigs)
You get that's not the point, right. This is about product liability and the repercussions for Samsung. They have done a good thing by this full recall, for us and for them, and zero people here need to "Calm down".

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
waiting for my service provider regarding the exchange, now im considering changing to another brand since im not confident enough with the note 7..so sad..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome