Note 7 signal reception for data

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Verizon Note 7:

I have been a pretty good supporter of the Note 7 so far and not had the issues some folks have posted, but one thing I do notice is weak signal reception. Calls are not an issue, but data reception is significantly weaker than my MXPE, Razr Maxx and even less than the Note 4 (not a device known for stellar signal).

My son has my MXPE and is able to play Netflix and Youtube (as example) with LTE everywhere in our home and vicinity, but there are areas where the Note 7 stops to cache or simply does not work with data. My wife's Razr Maxx also has no issues. I've also owned the S4 prioir to the Note 4 and it did not have issues like this. Put the sim with nano adapter into my Note 4 and no signal issues either.

Kind of stunned how weak the signal seems to be and a friend at work has the same issues coming from an LG4. If signal is an issue, this could explain the significantly different battery life results some are comparing with their previous devices. Due to the tech for LTE, the Note 7 is just as bad with drain as every other LTE device with weak signal.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
T-Mobile? Used your original sim when you got your Note 7? Get a new sim from provider or use the one that came with new phone and test. Saw two other review videos I mentioned in other thread mentioning an odd single issue with their phones that they don't get with any of the other phones they use/review... swapped sim and fixed. Please update.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile? Used your original sim when you got your Note 7? Get a new sim from provider or use the one that came with new phone and test. Saw two other review videos I mentioned in other thread mentioning an odd single issue with their phones that they don't get with any of the other phones they use/review... swapped sim and fixed. Please update.

Verizon- Thanks. I think those were more handover type issues going from wifi to LTE and not the actual signal reception for data. Had I not had other devices to compare live at home and my friend at work with a Note 7 mentioning signal issues, I would feel better.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I didn't notice data reception issues but I need notice a difference in WiFi reception compared to nexus 6P and S7e. The note coverage in a specific corner of my house was noticeably weaker than the other 2 devices. And often the WiFi would disconnect altogether. Now granted that part of my house always has poorer reception than the rest due to the location of my router but the other 2 devices always maintained a decent signal there. Other than that I really didn't notice problems with receptions or connections.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't notice data reception issues but I need notice a difference in WiFi reception compared to nexus 6P and S7e. The note coverage in a specific corner of my house was noticeably weaker than the other 2 devices. And often the WiFi would disconnect altogether. Now granted that part of my house always has poorer reception than the rest due to the location of my router but the other 2 devices always maintained a decent signal there. Other than that I really didn't notice problems with receptions or connections.

The WiFi reception on my Note 7 is noticeably worse than my Note 2 or my Lumia Icon; Both of them show full signal strength in our upstairs bedroom. My note has to be right in the doorway to get any signal. I have a Netgear nighhawk router and I could still pick up our WiFi i signal with my old phone almost a block away. My Note 7 barely gets a signal in our driveway.

On the other hand, the Bluetooth reception in my note 7 is almost too good. The Bluetooth in my car stays on for 10 minutes after I exit the car. If I forget to turn off the Bluetooth on the phone, my phone is still connected to the car and the car will answer almost anywhere in our house.

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
I too experience the data issue. Even speed tests show a very week speed. Full bars LTE and 12mb/s download compared to the 60-90 I got on my iphone. Granted I did swap the Sims over and didn't use a new one so I will be looking into that option

Wifi reception has been great so far for me, along with Bluetooth ifs just been the very poor data performance over LTE

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I get the same LTE speeds that I did on other phones with my T-Mobile Note 7. Just today at my buddies I tested and pull the 45ish + speeds I always got at his house. Have you tried a new SIM yet?

Also my wifi speeds are fine as well. 1473139945483.jpg1473139958578.jpg
ca51c4be0e2f0a00bbb56d0950a4aded.jpg

Torm558

Mar 3, 2016
Visit site
My wifi speeds are great and holds a stronger signal throughout the house

My data signal can go from full bars to one just by sitting in the same spot over the course of 2 minutes and never goes faster then 12mbps

I will be stopping by rogers to get a new sim

My only issue is the first time I set up my.phone without the sim and popped in the sim card the next day, it erases everything and reset my phone back to factory... Wouldn't be pleased to do that again and then again after the recall lol

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I have the same exact problem along with wifi speeds since day one, could get even connection to lte. Spoke to level 2 for hours, resetting network setting, 10 restarts etc etc. Finally a new sim helped it to connect to go Lte, but it's horrible reception still.

Just praying that it will be addressed in the new release, which I highly doubt since their focus is only battery.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I find the reception is nowhere near as good as the iphone 6s plus I had. But it's certainly better than my old nexus 6.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Strange thing I noticed with my Note, before I wiped it...

I am using the old sim from my Passport, and noticed a decent, but usually lower signal in my house. That was pretty much par for the course, but when I took the SIM out and put it back into my Passport, I noticed that the antenna signal on the Note7 was at a constant 3 bars all over my house.

does that make sense to anyone else?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep I have 6s and always 3-4 bars all the time at home, with Verizon note 7 I barely have 1 bar

Check the -dBm signal. The bars don't mean much when comparing different phones since each phone calculates them differently. The -dBm signal is the actual signal strength.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If I have four bars or more (better than -100 dBm) I seem to get fast LTE speeds (I'm not measuring though). The issue is the actual signal reception strength.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm on VZW. My wife's iphone 6+ beats just about any android phone in reception and doesn't get real hot doing it. No I don't like iphones but I wish my phone could get great reception. My razr maxx hd was best at lte reception but got burning hot holding on to weak signal and could drop 20 or 30 percent in a few minutes if I continued browsing in a weak signal area.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Check the -dBm signal. The bars don't mean much when comparing different phones since each phone calculates them differently. The -dBm signal is the actual signal strength.

That is why I prefer comparing Netflix and Youtube performance (as example). I noticed the reception issue at home with the N7, since no such issues on my other phones or my other son's iPhone for that matter. The Note 7 appears to have weaker signal reception than any previous LTE device I have owned.

Even web pages and Tapatalk apps are slow to update pages where the other devices are fast when in areas video apps stream poorly on the Note 7. Guess that makes sense by default. First noticed in my basement where have had no problems with data reception until the Note 7. Then discovered other areas in and around the house that had 107 or higher dBm and 10 dBM less with other devices. 10 points of dBm is relatively huge.

Last edited: