My Interim Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
While I wait for the replacement N7s to become available, I picked up one of these:

036R0Vg.jpg

tGaZYaq.jpg

It's a fire-proof, explosion-proof bag allowing you to safely charge lithium batteries. The entire phone fits comfortably inside. I plan to charge it once per day using the original Samsung cable and charger.

For $7 on Amazon, it's cheap insurance. ;)

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I actually have one of those bags for my e-cigarette vape battery chargers. Good call!
One question comes to mind, what do you think about lack of ventilation?

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm just SMH. I mean, no offense, but one day when this moment in time passes I will remember the days when I saw on the Internet forums that folks bought fire and explosion proof bags to charge their phone. Lolol. I've seen it all now. You won the internet today.

The Phone Company

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
When we all find out this has been a hoax, a massive social experiment into how every is so easily scared. We probably have more chance of being involved in a 'terrorist attack' than have our phones explode on us.

Nonetheless this bag is widely promoted to use when charging 18650 batteries used in vape mods so what harm can it be.

Better to be safe than sorry, which is why I wear a bullet proof vest to work…

MikeS1971

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Dont really need anything that large. I have something called LiPo bags used when charging LiPo batteries for our Traxxas R/C trucks. The R/C batteries are much, much larger than phone batteries and the bags are robust enough to contain a small LiPo explosion and fire. The indoor track we go to requires them when charging batteries onsite. But, R/C batteries don't generate much heat when charging at the proper settings. With phones, even using the factory charger, the phone can get warm. Even warmer in a confined space. Sealing it in a LiPo bag or box might accelerate the issue since there is no airflow. Actually promoting a fire.

TowerHobbies.com | Search Results

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Is it really fire-proof, explosion-proof, Note 7 boom-proof? It just looks so... frail.

OK, if you blow up a stick of C4 inside it it's not gonna survive, but it can contain the "boom" from lithium batteries much larger than the one in the Note 7.

As to the lack of ventilation, I honestly don't know. In normal charging it doesn't get hot enough for that to be an issue, so I figure if it gets that hot it's gonna blow anyway. :confused:

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is a joke, right? I sure hope so :) My wife and I still use our note 7s the same way as always. This thing has been blown up out of proportion. We will exchange when and if we can get the same blue ones we have now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
This is a joke, right? I sure hope so :) My wife and I still use our note 7s the same way as always. This thing has been blown up out of proportion. We will exchange when and if we can get the same blue ones we have now.

It's blown out of proportion...except it's not that wrong. Truth is a lot of batteries are affected and they can randomly combust when charging. Yes, it's a very low probability that yours will have one of said battery packs, but just like a lottery, someone will eventually 'win'. Better safe than sorry, right?

And since we usually charge our phones next to our beds while sleeping, anything catching fire might be more dangerous. I'm sure you've seen the report on that Note 7 that went 'kaboom' in a hotel room and racked up almost 1.5k dollars in damage. Well, that could be anyone's time-ticking bomb.

Am I being overly cautious? Nope, but I'm not charging my phone near my bed anymore and have started charging on a stone surface away from flammable sources or only when I'm actively watching the phone... just in case.

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Am I being overly cautious? Nope, but I'm not charging my phone near my bed anymore and have started charging on a stone surface away from flammable sources or only when I'm actively watching the phone... just in case.

At this point we have enough info to start to gleem out a temporary work around. The phone won't turn into a fireball. It will be contained. I charge in 3 places, and all 3 are isolated from anything else that could catch fire. 2 Wireless chargers... not that they are safer, but because they are all tilted up, so that the phone can burn up, and nothing else will catch fire. The only plug in I use is in the car, and again, it is isolated by being in its car mount. Should I lose the battery lottery, I am reasonably protected. When the new ones come available, I will do the switch out. These work arounds will protect me until I can get it switched.

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site

I totally agree. I will enjoy using mine until I can take it to the Rogers store and walk out with a new Note 7. Meanwhile, if you guys want to be really safe, turn off the fast charging in the battery settings. No need for it when one charges the phone overnight. Also, there is no need for those silly fire and bombproof enclosures. I monitored my phone one day while it was being charged from 40% to 100% and it was barely warm, slightly warmer than a room temperature. I feel totally safe, although I will exchange it just for the sake of retaining its value.

bluesboy77

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I totally agree. I will enjoy using mine until I can take it to the Rogers store and walk out with a new Note 7. Meanwhile, if you guys want to be really safe, turn off the fast charging in the battery settings. No need for it when one charges the phone overnight. Also, there is no need for those silly fire and bombproof enclosures. I monitored my phone one day while it was being charged from 40% to 100% and it was barely warm, slightly warmer than a room temperature. I feel totally safe, although I will exchange it just for the sake of retaining its value.

Yep, exactly what I'm doing, my phone hasn't gotten even slightly warm when fast charging right next to my head on my night stand all night long. :eek:

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
While I wait for the replacement N7s to become available, I picked up one of these:

http://i.imgur.com/036R0Vg.jpg

It's a fire-proof, explosion-proof bag allowing you to safely charge lithium batteries. The entire phone fits comfortably inside. I plan to charge it once per day using the original Samsung cable and charger.
For $7 on Amazon, it's cheap insurance. ;)
When I saw your first picture I thought it was of an insulated pizza carrier. :p
By the time it could arrive from Amazon (should I order it today) it would probably arrive either after I've got a replacement Note from my carrier, or by then I might have lost the battery lottery (shouldn't we call that type of thing a loss as opposed to a win?).

I actually have one of those bags for my e-cigarette vape battery chargers. Good call!
One question comes to mind, what do you think about lack of ventilation?
Is it really fire-proof, explosion-proof, Note 7 boom-proof? It just looks so... frail.
Besides a lack of ventilation and looking frail/thin/weak it looks like it wouldn't fit the area needed for a plug-in cable to the USB-C port, and if it does it might bend the wire in a way that it will stop functioning after awhile. It also would likely be too thick to work up against a wireless charging pad (people seem to have enough problems getting it to charge through cases).

And since we usually charge our phones next to our beds while sleeping, anything catching fire might be more dangerous. I'm sure you've seen the report on that Note 7 that went 'kaboom' in a hotel room and racked up almost 1.5k dollars in damage. Well, that could be anyone's time-ticking bomb.

Maybe I'll start charging mine on the fireplace (not to the point of being so parinoid to stick it in the fireplace while charging, yet ;)). I just charged it to 100% this late morning/early afternoon, and have it running in maximum power saving mode when I'm not using it so hopefully I will not have to charge it again before replacements are available.

I was charging mine the morning of the announcement (started right before I hopped on the phone and read it), and then again today. Like you I'd been constantly monitoring it, and like you mine barley gets warm. That morning of the announcement I was pretty confident that I don't have to worry about it, and that my phone seems fine. However as more and more time passes I get more paranoid that what is fine one minute could fail the next. I'm not paranoid enough to stop using it, but enough that I'm going to be more cautious if i have to charge it again in the future before te replacements are available.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
When I saw your first picture I thought it was of an insulated pizza carrier. :p
By the time it could arrive from Amazon (should I order it today) it would probably arrive either after I've got a replacement Note from my carrier, or by then I might have lost the battery lottery (shouldn't we call that type of thing a loss as opposed to a win?).

Besides a lack of ventilation and looking frail/thin/weak it looks like it wouldn't fit the area needed for a plug-in cable to the USB-C port, and if it does it might bend the wire in a way that it will stop functioning after awhile. It also would likely be too thick to work up against a wireless charging pad (people seem to have enough problems getting it to charge through cases).

Maybe I'll start charging mine on the fireplace (not to the point of being so parinoid to stick it in the fireplace while charging, yet ;)). I just charged it to 100% this late morning/early afternoon, and have it running in maximum power saving mode when I'm not using it so hopefully I will not have to charge it again before replacements are available.

I was charging mine the morning of the announcement (started right before I hopped on the phone and read it), and then again today. Like you I'd been constantly monitoring it, and like you mine barley gets warm. That morning of the announcement I was pretty confident that I don't have to worry about it, and that my phone seems fine. However as more and more time passes I get more paranoid that what is fine one minute could fail the next. I'm not paranoid enough to stop using it, but enough that I'm going to be more cautious if i have to charge it again in the future before te replacements are available.

Imho everyone should install that gsam battery monitor app if you're going to keep using it. The highest mine has gotten while fast charging was 105 f. It displays the battery temp full time in the drop down menu. Just makes me feel a little better since i dont own another phone ATM.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We are going to close this thread down instead of having multiple threads open with different thread titles but all discussing the same topic pretty much (the battery issue with the Note 7). You can still discuss this issue but please use the main thread below. We don't need a new thread for each story / news article / things of that nature as it really clutters up the forum with the same topic spread out across these threads.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...153-note-7-battery-issue-discussion-here.html

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87