Note 7 US failure..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
In case you're looking for proof it's in the US...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.xda-developers.com/us-note7-explosion/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

Edit - one particularly alarming quote from the article:

"The US based explosion may not have been charging at the time of failure, which could make any phone a ticking time bomb at any time, and not just while charging."

Edit 2: direct link to Reddit post with additional details:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ploded/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Concerning stuff.

I've shut down my Note7 and put it in the box until I get a replacement. In the meantime, I've switched over to the LG G4 temporarily.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah we've confirmed one in Missouri I think.
There are some here in other threads that maintain they will continue to use their phones because there's been no concrete proof that it happens in the US.

Hopefully this will give pause to anyone still on the fence about continuing to use their phone .... This is obviously bigger and affects more devices than originally let on.

I want my N7 back as badly as anyone else out there but imho it's not worth the risk.

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
So... Two usa battery failures.... Both tmobile.
Considering no one knows what causes this, I cringe when people on here think they're in the clear simply because "bad things are things that happen to other people, not me!"

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well to add further confusion to the mix - another quote from the article:

"However, Reddit user DradisBacon did some detective work into the iFixIt teardown and noted that Chinese built phones can also carry Samsung SDI batteries, removing some of those theories. "

Which means even the Chinese built devices are now potentially susceptible when it was thought they weren't ?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

"However, Reddit user DradisBacon did some detective work into the iFixIt teardown and noted that Chinese built phones can also carry Samsung SDI batteries, removing some of those theories. "

Which means even the Chinese built devices are now potentially susceptible when it was thought they weren't ?
I think this whole thing might boil down to certification.

SDI batteries can't be certified in China for some reason, so they have to get ATL on board to help out. Seems like ATL batteries are only for Hong Kong, Macau and China, at least before the recall.

Cotano

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

Actually, I believe it was the ones made for the chinese market that were thought not to be affected by this. To better compete in that market samsung increased the amount of ram that the phones were getting. Maybe this also meant a different battery.

Even so, wasn't the recall world wide? If so it would seem that samsung doesn't have any reason to believe that any of us are safe. Otherwise they would have said at the start that tmobile is excluded. Or that those whose phones have been below a certain temp were safe. As of now the only offical way to be safe is to exchange the device. The creator says they are faulty. Who are we to doubt them?

Pluka471

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

No, much more than that. This is a statement from Samsung UK.

"How many issues have been reported so far, and in which countries?
A: Globally, as of September 1, there have been 35 cases that have been reported through Samsung’s customer service centers. Korea reported 17 cases, U.S. reported 17 cases, and 1 from Taiwan'

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have a backup phone and Verizon isn't doing loaners from what I've read. My only option is to downgrade before the replacements hit retailers. As concerning as this is, I'm taking my chances because I want the replacement and have no other option at this moment in doing so.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I believe it was the ones made for the chinese market that were thought not to be affected by this. To better compete in that market samsung increased the amount of ram that the phones were getting. Maybe this also meant a different battery.

Even so, wasn't the recall world wide? If so it would seem that samsung doesn't have any reason to believe that any of us are safe. Otherwise they would have said at the start that tmobile is excluded. Or that those whose phones have been below a certain temp were safe. As of now the only offical way to be safe is to exchange the device. The creator says they are faulty. Who are we to doubt them?
Apparently a Note 7 exploded in a hotel and caused $1400 in damage.

anon(607340)

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
In case you're looking for proof it's in the US...

https://www.google.com/amp/www.xda-developers.com/us-note7-explosion/amp/?client=ms-android-att-us

Edit - one particularly alarming quote from the article:

"The US based explosion may not have been charging at the time of failure, which could make any phone a ticking time bomb at any time, and not just while charging."

Edit 2: direct link to Reddit post with additional details:

https://m.reddit.com/r/Android/comm...ploded/?utm_source=mweb_redirect&compact=true
The entire article is basing their "confirmation" of the event on the fact it was posted by a Reddit user "who has been a redditor for 5 years with considerable Karma". That's not proof, not saying it didn't/couldn't happen, but that's garbage journalism.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a backup phone. I am still using mine. Will until I can swap it out. There are two I know of in AZ that did explode.yes I am concerned. Am being careful. I can trade now but there isn't a phone I like . So I have to be patient and wait on replacement phones to be available.

Posted via the Android Central App

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I don't have a backup phone and Verizon isn't doing loaners from what I've read. My only option is to downgrade before the replacements hit retailers. As concerning as this is, I'm taking my chances because I want the replacement and have no other option at this moment in doing so.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't noticed any excessive heat while charging (USB-C or on a charging pad). Waiting till next week to hit up my store.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Had this been a removable battery the cost of a recall campaign would easily be a tenth of what they are probably spending and long term liability. Then again, even taking a one billion-ish dollar hit is cheaper long-term by maintaining the real intent of fixed batteries- keeping the aggregate phone retirement curve under two years. That is unless it happens again.

Status
Not open for further replies.