TWO INCH drop onto the edge of my PLASTIC center counsel the screen cracked

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I just dropped mine purposely 2 inches on to plastic 10 times in a row and it barely made a noise let alone Crack.
Yeah, I don't think I could get ANYTHING the break by dropping it 2 inches onto plastic. Not even a fragile blown-glass figurine.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Thinking about it, can't see how 2" would do anything. Seems not enough distance to create the needed inertia to crack even if brittle. Strange this be.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
I just dropped mine purposely 2 inches on to plastic 10 times in a row and it barely made a noise let alone Crack.

Yeah, I don't think I could get ANYTHING the break by dropping it 2 inches onto plastic. Not even a fragile blown-glass figurine.

Look. I HEAR you on how ridiculous it sounds and that's why I'm upset by it.

So there are a few things that could help recreate your experiment.

1. While it was about a 2 inch drop, it wasn't a controlled drop experiment. There are momentum's involved when dealing with real life scenarios. I was taking the phone out of my pocket while sitting in the car and on the way over to putting it in my cup holder it dropped. So there was a little momentum going from left to right as it left my fingertips.

2. We aren't talking about flimsy toy plastic. It's a center console so it is rigid and strong plastic.

3. It hit the 90 degree edge of the console in a perpendicular fashion with the edge of the screen. I attached a picture of an example of what I mean.

drop.jpg

So this means all the force was concentrated on one tiny spot on the actual curve. I recognize this is the worse possible drop point, but it's still upsetting that it can't withstand it.

Lastly, I know people love or hate the edge. I don't mind it. To me it's wasted space but it doesn't take away from the experience either. It does look pretty. However it is disappointing if it weakens the glass though as I would imagine alot more people would rather have a more durable phone than an edge one.

sainidilraj

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I had similar problem. I can't even remember dropping the phone but I had crack in middle of the screen. It start just in the middle and then start stretching side to side. I thought I was the only one and feeling guilty if I did something wrong but now reading all the posts, I think it's definitely Samsung issue. Can't even return my phone under "buyer remorse" because of the damage and need to wait for recall.

kyle0k

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a case/screen protector that WOULD have prevented such a crack?

It seems like most the cases are relatively useless because they end BEFORE the screen or just barely go around the screen in the 4 corners.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc