Magnetic car mounts: cautionary tale?

nick112288

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
So this might be purely coincidence, and maybe because of how it works it's not possible, but I think my magnetic car mount killed my ability to use Samsung pay.

So I used Samsung pay twice when I first got the phone. Target and a fast food joint. Worked great, real quick, no problems. Got my car mount, started using it. Well went to go use pay at Walmart and wouldn't work. Didn't think anything of it because I had read some people had trouble with Walmart for whatever reason.

Well this weekend I tried to use it so as to be able to spend my $20 gift card Samsung gave me for using it the first time. Was at Target (where it had worked perfectly before) and wouldn't work. Didn't even act like the phone was sending a signal. No error message, just counted down and said try again. Well tried like 3 times, tried with my other cards loaded on there, even tried another register to see if it would work. Nothing. Well pulled out my wives phone, tried it. Went through immediately no issue. OK cancel and we'll try mine again. Nope won't work. Tried hers again. Same thing, went through no problem.

Left there, and had to go to another store. Tried mine there, nothing. Tried hers, worked immediately. Only thing that is different is my magnetic car mount. I tried it with case on, case off, turned off the phone then turned it back on. Nothing.

I've also noticed that mount cause a few other things to occur. Like I'd say 1 in 5 times of using it, the phone will think my S Pen has been removed and air commands will open.

Is it possible the magnet screwed something up? Or do I have an underlying issue?

I do know once I get my replacement 7 I WILL NOT be using that mount anymore.

Good news is I called Samsung and they said that with the new phone if I make a purchase I will get the $10 credit, and as long as I log in to Samsung Pay on the new phone with the same login info, my $20 gift card will automatically transfer over. So have the opportunity to have as much as $30 in gift cards from Samsung for using Samsung pay.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I think you on Q with the magnetic. I found out when researching wallet cases that a magnetic close does affect s pen , so I purchased one with a snap

Last edited:

zeroVerni8

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
I thought magnets would not harm the internals of a smart phone unless they were extremely strong. I use a magnet mount in my car also and have not had major issues with it. With the Note 7, I have a Spigen Neo Hybrid case with the magnet on the inside of the case. I am still able to use the NFC/Smasung pay at stores and vending machines with no issues. The only time I had issues was with my old phone, the LG V10. Same set up as my Note 7, but had to remove the case when using NFC.

And I assume that would screw up navigation?
I would test it. Put in an address that you know like your local grocery store. Drive and check and see if the directions match the route.

NCTRNL2

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
I use a magnet mount as well. I even put the plate inside the case and it will still wirelessly charge. I guess an added bonus will be if the little plate protects me when the phone explodes?

Scott Currence

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The magnetic car mount I have has the metal "sticker" for the back of your phone. That will definitely screw up your Samsung pay signal. Also messed up my wireless charging.

xxaarraa

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
I use a magnetic car mount with a metal sticker for back of the phone. My samsung pay worked flawlessly till the day I returned the Note 7. I don't think the magnets screwed your phone up.

Did you do a debloat and disable a bunch of packages?

vlfifthdawnlv

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I doubt it'll do any damage but even if it does, I don't use Samsung pay much but I stick my phone to my car every single day almost. I think I would still use the magnetic back even if it did mess with it.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
So this might be purely coincidence, and maybe because of how it works it's not possible, but I think my magnetic car mount killed my ability to use Samsung pay.

So I used Samsung pay twice when I first got the phone. Target and a fast food joint. Worked great, real quick, no problems. Got my car mount, started using it. Well went to go use pay at Walmart and wouldn't work. Didn't think anything of it because I had read some people had trouble with Walmart for whatever reason.

Well this weekend I tried to use it so as to be able to spend my $20 gift card Samsung gave me for using it the first time. Was at Target (where it had worked perfectly before) and wouldn't work. Didn't even act like the phone was sending a signal. No error message, just counted down and said try again. Well tried like 3 times, tried with my other cards loaded on there, even tried another register to see if it would work. Nothing. Well pulled out my wives phone, tried it. Went through immediately no issue. OK cancel and we'll try mine again. Nope won't work. Tried hers again. Same thing, went through no problem.

Left there, and had to go to another store. Tried mine there, nothing. Tried hers, worked immediately. Only thing that is different is my magnetic car mount. I tried it with case on, case off, turned off the phone then turned it back on. Nothing.

I've also noticed that mount cause a few other things to occur. Like I'd say 1 in 5 times of using it, the phone will think my S Pen has been removed and air commands will open.

Is it possible the magnet screwed something up? Or do I have an underlying issue?

I do know once I get my replacement 7 I WILL NOT be using that mount anymore.

Good news is I called Samsung and they said that with the new phone if I make a purchase I will get the $10 credit, and as long as I log in to Samsung Pay on the new phone with the same login info, my $20 gift card will automatically transfer over. So have the opportunity to have as much as $30 in gift cards from Samsung for using Samsung pay.

That is strange if that could screw up the NFC.

Gunny Fitz

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello All-

This is the Magnetic Case & Car Vent Mount I purchased off Amazon for my Note 7.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KBQGX44/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will admit that the case itself is pretty sturdy and protective BUT the piece that is supposed to be mounted into the Car Vent is NOT high quality by any means. Getting it to fit into the vent is difficult but feasible. Once I did get it into the vent, it did not stay put once the phone was put onto the magnetic part of it. Even after tightening the clamp down as tight as it would go, the phone would still sag down or turn sideways while taking a turn left or right - Lol.

What I'd REALLY like to do is find a way to either use the little piece BUT mount it somewhere else inside the cab of my truck OR find something else to use as the "Back Piece" to connect it to- hope I make sense with what Im saying here?

Either way folks - I am seeking what you all consider is the BEST Interior Magnetic Car Mount to use inside my Dodge Ram?
Any help you all have is greatly appreciated. Do you have any list of the Top 5 Magnetic Car Mounts here anywhere? Sorry if I missed it - but if so could someone please repost it under my msg here, or quote me and advise me of some?
Many thanks everyone & Semper Fidelis,

Gunny Out.....................

sdardoin

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Use a magnet mount with 3 different phones... Note5, S7edge, and Note7 (twice)... no issues with wireless charging, Samsung Pay or S-pen.