Recommendations for find my phone app?

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I see several on Google store but cant figure out which one actually provides cloud based app like ios find my iPhone app. I am very scared to lose a $1000 phone. Tia.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Why search for an app when the phone (unless you disable it) already has it? Either through Google's Device Manager (with the Google Account set up on the phone) or through Samsung's own service (http://findmymobile.samsung.com ; again, with the Samsung account set up). Those will let you find the device, lock it, display a message, ring it, or wipe it remotely and both work through any browser.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Why search for an app when the phone (unless you disable it) already has it? Either through Google's Device Manager (with the Google Account set up on the phone) or through Samsung's own service (http://findmymobile.samsung.com ; again, with the Samsung account set up). Those will let you find the device, lock it, display a message, ring it, or wipe it remotely and both work through any browser.

+1 for android device manager. You can locate your phone from any device with it. No apps required.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I definitely don't see Samsung option, I am on Verizon NOTE 7.. Not sure if one of those crappy Verizon decided is not needed..

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site

Do you have a preference on which one you like?

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I just googled for Google's find my iphone, looks like it is tied to my gmail account. But, I noticed it actually queries the device at that minute when you click on find my phone? What if phone is switched off? Does it not show last known location before it tries to find the current location?

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Also wish if it could show the trail of all locations phone has been too? Comes in handy when it is actually lost.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I definitely don't see Samsung option, I am on Verizon NOTE 7.. Not sure if one of those crappy Verizon decided is not needed..

Verizon has disabled this on their phones. They even hide Samsung cloud (there's a thread on here that's shows you how to get it back). They do this so we can use/pay their services and Samsung allows carrierd to customized. For future reference, Samsung's service is called Find My Mobile. I would just go with Android device manager because it's offered by Google and the next best thing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just googled for Google's find my iphone, looks like it is tied to my gmail account. But, I noticed it actually queries the device at that minute when you click on find my phone? What if phone is switched off? Does it not show last known location before it tries to find the current location?

It does, as long as location history is enabled in your account (usually enabled by default. If Google Now's location-aware stuff works for you, it's on)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Also wish if it could show the trail of all locations phone has been too? Comes in handy when it is actually lost.

It does, just not there. It's in your location history chart, in your Google Account. Location History must be enabled in your device for this to work, though, but it's enabled by default usually, so unless you disabled it, it's there.

It's part of what makes the magic of Google Now work, since it 'knows' your location history, and uses that for checking usual places and what times you usually visit, leave home for work, etc.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
ok cool, looks like it is on, had to check from webbrowser to see it. Just thought there should be some place on phone to check the history and all.

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
another problem is on Verizon we don't have the option 'Android Device Manager' to modify these settings.. Soo annoying!!

pmendu

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Also when I did locate my device, It did show a popup notification on my phone, 'Device Manager located this device'

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
ok cool, looks like it is on, had to check from webbrowser to see it. Just thought there should be some place on phone to check the history and all.

There is. Go to your Location Settings, then select GOOGLE LOCATION HISTORY. You'll see which devices have active location history. Tap the menu button (three dots) and select VIEW/MANAGE.