Will Train/ Airline Bans Be Lifted Once Replacements Are Finished?

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmmmm What do you guys think?

According to Samsung's President of North America, 130,000 replacements have been delivered. He needs to make an announcement when they've received close to all the North American units back. Then again, 2 million internationally. Lots of work to do.

Teamjones

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
According to Samsung's President of North America, 130,000 replacements have been delivered. He needs to make an announcement when they've received close to all the North American units back. Then again, 2 million internationally. Lots of work to do.

Lol politics at it's best. My wife and I still have ours. Ppl who pre ordered should have gotten then them as soon as they said they were ok to ship and worry about the returns later.

team420

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've said it b4, and I'll say it again... once adequate time has been given for people to exchange their "defective" devices.. (month, maybe 2) they will deactivate/brick all pre-recall devices.

I could be wrong.... but that seldom happens :D

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
This is the question I am eager to have answered as well. I don't know that we can know at this point. Once could logically think that to remove a ban, they would either need:
- A way to verify that all (or perhaps almost all?) defective Note 7's have been returned and therefor are not out in the wild.
Or
- Some way to tell easily by looking at the phone that it is a "clean" one. This presents issues, and seems an unlikely bureaucratic step to include, when they could just ban them all.

I really, really hope any ban is rescinded eventually, as I will need to travel and don't want the hassle ...

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Once I have my replacement, I'll fight tooth and nails if they deny it

I think you would have a strong case. The CPSC explicitly recalled the pre-Sep 15 devices. From the CPSC website: "This recall involves the Samsung Galaxy Note7 smartphone sold before September 15, 2016." So the replacement devices are not part of the recall. FAA has broad discretion in issuing guidance to airlines, but not clear to me under what authority they could ban the post-recall devices. I am still using my recalled Note 7 (I will exchange as soon an a replacement is available), but I really wish Samsung would disable ALL the pre-recall devices after a certain date (maybe October 15). Perhaps there is some legal or technical reason they could not do that (?).

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Most likely, but it will take a while. It's serious business for the transportation industry to have a risk like this (not saying anything negative about the Note - just saying that they deem it a risk and so they are taking precautions).

jj2339

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Most likely, but it will take a while. It's serious business for the transportation industry to have a risk like this (not saying anything negative about the Note - just saying that they deem it a risk and so they are taking precautions).

Yup, they have to mitigate the risk, and if anyone thinks they can argue with the TSA or a flight attendant about iemi's or something, they've obviously never flown. They don't have time to mess around, and can have you tossed off if they aren't in the mood. And since it's potentially a public safety issue, who is going to win out? Overblown or not, the fact that Samsung recalled the phones makes me think it's not overblown totally, this isn't going to pass quickly. Especially as we see even on these boards people considering not doing the swap.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they'll just release another update in a month or so that cuts the max charge to 30%. While they wouldn't be disabling anyone's device, they'd cripple it to the point of it being a hassle to own.

Imagine someone being in an emergency situation and not being able to contact loved ones or family. They'd be all over Samsung and their carrier for shutting off their device.

Until replacements are widely available, I don't see bans lifted.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I think they are going to have a hard time singling out just the note 7 once the new ones are out. The government approved the new ones and that means they are no more of a risk then any other cell phone or laptop. I can see Samsung suing if the new note 7 is singled out.