What will I lose/keep when moving over to my replacement GN7?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

This is my first Android phone. Previously a Windows Phone/Mobile user for the last 8 yrs. Figures I'd have this kind of luck on my first experience lol. I'm still waiting on my replacement unit from Samsung. Their last correspondence said it would ship out by the 15th at earliest so I expect it to ship soon.

Once it arrives and I set up the new phone I understand there will be the options to restore a bunch of things from my existing unit. I see things like apps, contacts, my theme, media etc. But will it restore everything from my settings or individual app settings? Or other things like app/game data, Whatsapp messages?

I guess I'm curious was doesn't carry over? I have a phobia or hard resets and I don't look forward to spending 2 - 3 re-configuring phones from scratch. I know it will have to re-download all the apps again but that's not a big deal.

Ambivalencetech

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

This is my first Android phone. Previously a Windows Phone/Mobile user for the last 8 yrs. Figures I'd have this kind of luck on my first experience lol. I'm still waiting on my replacement unit from Samsung. Their last correspondence said it would ship out by the 15th at earliest so I expect it to ship soon.

Once it arrives and I set up the new phone I understand there will be the options to restore a bunch of things from my existing unit. I see things like apps, contacts, my theme, media etc. But will it restore everything from my settings or individual app settings? Or other things like app/game data, Whatsapp messages?

I guess I'm curious was doesn't carry over? I have a phobia or hard resets and I don't look forward to spending 2 - 3 re-configuring phones from scratch. I know it will have to re-download all the apps again but that's not a big deal.

No expert here. The game data doesn't carry over. Syncing your contacts with Google makes it easy to restore. If you choose that be sure to uncheck contacts if you're using smartswitch. What's app does a good job of restoring your messages from my experience and I switched from N7 to N5 and waiting for the replacement. So there are 2 ways: When booting the replacement for the first time it'll ask if you want to restore from your current device. Or if you have some time at the store you can use smartswitch on both phones to transfer. Takes 20-30 mins and restores apps and settings

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Ok thanks for the info. I guess I'll try to not get too heavily invested in any more games. Any idea if I have to do things like log back into all my apps and customise my notifications and things as well?

Is there any benefit to using Smartswitch over a Cloud restore or vice versa?

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Very true. I recently learned about Wondershare. This claims to back up contacts, messages, media, application data, call history, calendar and apps. Not sure if this is a more complete option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae