Will post recall Note 7's still be "3500" maH?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Two issues apparently happened to cause the problem. Cell packing to increase charge and also sell compression during build being missed- apparently due to pressuring production to maximize unit output.

I am curious going forward on two aspects, given my admittedly cynical view. In order to mitigate future events, perhaps both or a combo of:

1. A stealth update that fudges the battery gauge. Perhaps drop charge 10% capacity, but still show as 100%. Easy to do if they want.
2. Increase the cell walls at the expense of total charge. Based on the tear down there is no room for a bigger size battery.

Item 2 would probably be more long term due to lead-time to make the change, but item 1 is real easy and same result.

Keep an eye out for battery life changes in the next few weeks! ;)

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Another post elsewhere someone mentioned feeling the newer phone "felt" heavier and someone else agreed. It would be interesting if some people have scales and weigh the old units before they give them back and new ones and compare. No issues with the Chinese batteries so sounds like they were able to manage it in the phone... but maybe their batteries are a smidgen bigger and heavier but still fit.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I have a replacement (build date 8/31) and I haven't noticed any battery drop from my original N7.
(Charging right now, due to eating battery with wifi updates..:))
Capture.PNG

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Nah. They just sourced batteries from another manufacturer. No conspiracy theory needed.

If Samsung can not be practically 100% this will not happen again, seems this is very plausible as an option to consider. BTW, not saying it is happening now. The firmware change would be more practical than a cell wall change.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If they get other sources besides china then their builds could be different or specs even slightly different. I believe my Nexus 4 where there was discussion where specs showed specific size but reality was something like 50 mah less. Anyways just wondering... maybe a little heavier ya find out their new source it's maybe 3550 ;)

������

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
If Samsung can not be practically 100% this will not happen again, seems this is very plausible as an option to consider. BTW, not saying it is happening now. The firmware change would be more practical than a cell wall change.

ROTFLMAO....they never 'guaranteed' it in the past....

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
ROTFLMAO....they never 'guaranteed' it in the past....

That is why worded "Practically" since 100% not possible. Any failures now will be a problem, so why not mitigate through capping, but not enough for most people to notice? Does not seem far fetched as having potential.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
For what it is worth, my current Note 7 weighs 168.5348 grams (no sim) i will weigh my replacement one when i receive it.

If they increase the cell wall, that would offset any weight difference, but that would take a few months to get in consumer devices. A slight firmware cap would seem the more likely option- IF they were to chose to do it or anything else.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've given it a lot of thought and decided this phone is a lemon. I don't trust Sammy to make lag disappear. I don't know what capacity new battery will be. It will take weeks to know if new ones blow up too.

tbears99

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Another post elsewhere someone mentioned feeling the newer phone "felt" heavier and someone else agreed. It would be interesting if some people have scales and weigh the old units before they give them back and new ones and compare. No issues with the Chinese batteries so sounds like they were able to manage it in the phone... but maybe their batteries are a smidgen bigger and heavier but still fit.
I weighed mine today. No case and no SD card, but does have a Zagg screen protector. It was 172g. Not sure when my VZ version will be in at Best Buy.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I weighed mine today. No case and no SD card, but does have a Zagg screen protector. It was 172g. Not sure when my VZ version will be in at Best Buy.

Our local BBs got all carrier versions today except the Verizon ones.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I've given it a lot of thought and decided this phone is a lemon. I don't trust Sammy to make lag disappear. I don't know what capacity new battery will be. It will take weeks to know if new ones blow up too.

More the reason why would Samsung risk it? If they are overpacking the cells to get 3500 and that is part of root cause, seems they might possibly consider at least a stealth update that reduces charge capacity by 10%. That would be enough to reduce charge concerns and might not be noticed by most people.

All I'm saying is it will be interesting if battery life drops at some point after an update. My Note 7 SOT using FHD is six hours based on my use. It should be the same with the replacement.

"Over packing" a cell is somewhat of a misnomer, but the point is if the design is part of the issue, relying just on being more careful with production might not be enough.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2