Replacement Note 7 Screen Brightness Issue

QuantamPulse

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else have an issue with their new device where the screen at max brightness is considerably dimmer than their old model ? I turned off auto brightness and cranked it up to max and it still looks about the same as my Nexus 6p, where it used to be much brighter. It also continues to auto dim everyone once in a while even though auto brightness is turned off.

I also get a message now when cranking up to max brightness that due to overheating you cannot raise the brightness any higher. Never had this message on a Samsung phone before. On a similar note, when changing the screen mode between ambled cinema and ambled photo, there is virtual no difference. Whereas as my tab s2 for example, there is a considerable difference between the two modes.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Wow was afraid of hearing about issues with replacement phones. Will be another 2 weeks before Best Buy gets any more in stock and no loaners before I see one. My carrier wants nothing to do with me (AT&T) since I bought it through BB. Starting to lean toward the LG V20 more and more each day.

QuantamPulse

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
So after playing around with it some more, it has something to do with the light sensor. With the Auto-brightness turned off and manual control set to max brightness, if I shine a flashlight into the light sensor on the front of the phone, the phone goes back up to the brightness level of my old one. Move the flashlight away, and it dims back down.

This is a video showing what I am talking about. Auto is Off and Brightness at max.

Last edited:

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
So after playing around with it some more, it has something to do with the light sensor. With the Auto-brightness turned off and manual control set to max brightness, if I shine a flashlight into the light sensor on the front of the phone, the phone goes back up to the brightness level of my old one. Move the flashlight away, and it dims back down.

Is your display mode set to adaptive?

Androidaholic

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got the update that checks your Note 7 to see if it is a defective one or not and turns the battery green if it is good. After this update my screen brightness is back to normal and not affected by the sensor anymore. Damn I am glad they fixed that I really did not want to go to Best Buy and get another device. I am thinking it was some kind of safety measure to keep phones that are defective from heating up. Once your phone is verified it is back to normal !

QuantamPulse

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Is your display mode set to adaptive?

Does the same thing if it is set to Adaptive, Cinema, Photo or Basic.

I just got the update that checks your Note 7 to see if it is a defective one or not and turns the battery green if it is good. After this update my screen brightness is back to normal and not affected by the sensor anymore. Damn I am glad they fixed that I really did not want to go to Best Buy and get another device. I am thinking it was some kind of safety measure to keep phones that are defective from heating up. Once your phone is verified it is back to normal !

Did the update that added the green icon as well and mine is still doing the same thing. There was no change. Wonder what the return policy is for these new replacements with Sprint. Is it 14 from the exchange date or is it considered past the return since it is beyond the normal exchange period.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Did the update that added the green icon as well and mine is still doing the same thing. There was no change. Wonder what the return policy is for these new replacements with Sprint. Is it 14 from the exchange date or is it considered past the return since it is beyond the normal exchange period.

I would think this would be handled as a brand new purchase with the same protection against defects.

Androidaholic

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My replacement has been working great ! Superb battery life that is the best I have ever had on a smartphone by far. The screen is the best I have ever seen and so bright I can see it in the sun no problem even without auto brightness turned on. I have no doubt that this Note 7 is the best phone on the market. I have already checked out the new I-Phone 7 plus. We know that most Android users do not like the ios OS but in addition the Note 7 has a bigger screen in a smaller frame compared with the I-Phone 7 plus. It makes using the Note 7 much more enjoyable and as nice as the I-Phone 7 plus screen is it does not compare to the Note 7 super amoled screen. I was worried about my replacement not living up to my first Note 7 because I thought it was perfect but I am happy to say I have no flaws in my replacement either since the update fixed my screen brightness issue.

Last edited:

Androidaholic

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

That sucks I wonder why it fixed mine and not yours. Did you get this resolved yet and how ? Did you have to return it or did you fix it ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463