Second Hand Note 7 Recall Thread

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I bought my phone used from Swappa about a week after the initial release. After spending hours on the phone with Samsung and Verizon and both telling me to call the other person and neither willing to help me I have found a way to get it replaced.

I called the CPSC directly (301-504-7908) and spoke with a lady there that was very helpful. She said that I am not the first person who has called in with this issue and that it was something they nor Samsung attorneys planned for. The CPSC worked it out with Samsung's attorney and they are going to directly replace anyone's phone that's in the same situation as I am. She said the US Samsung president was in there office last and this came up during the meeting.

She took down my info as well as gave me hers and she is going to get the ball rolling to have my phone replaced under the recall free of charge.

eaglehdz_21

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA: How to get your used / second hand Note 7 replaced.

thanks for this! I will be giving this a try first thing tomorrow. let us know if and when the replacement goes through!

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

How do they plan to replace your phone? Is it by mail or through the actual provider?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I'll be trying this tomorrow morning as well. I am in the exact same situation as you, and I have gotten nowhere with Samsung or T-Mobile. In total, I have spent about 5 hours on the phone with both Samsung and T-Mobile on this recall. It has been the worst customer experience. I have 6 different case numbers with Samsung, and no one has called me back when they said they would. I will be contacting the CPSC as well, and I may get an attorney involved. There is no way an official government recall should be this mishandled by all parties involved. There are many of us out there who purchased off of third party sites like Swappa, eBay and Craigslist. We should be able to get our phone replaced like everyone else.

Phillip Pugh

Banned
Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

It a a recall so it'll have to be replaced ether by samsung are the branded Company. This is all kinda new to everyone nobody was prepared for this unfortunately we all will learn something even Samsung

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site

You're also able tho file a claim through PayPal and Swappa for the seller to take the phone back.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

You're also able tho file a claim through PayPal and Swappa for the seller to take the phone back.
PayPal has been denying the claims last I heard. And now there seems to be a way to exchange the phone. It's a recall and the government is involved, now that they know of this situation it is being handled. Samsung is not going to get away with not replacing a phone because it was bought on eBay, but it will probably take a little longer now and probably be exchange only and probably directly thru them. Who knows, have to wait for the policy to be set up now.

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

How do they plan to replace your phone? Is it by mail or through the actual provider?

I was told that Samsung is going to directly replace the phone as they are required to under the recall. We shall see, the lady from CPSC said I should hear back within a couple days.

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Thats great news keep us updated

Got a call from samsungs main office today. She got all of my information and said a rep would be calling me within 2 business day and the rep would be personally meeting me at a local retailer to swap out my phone.

chrgnthru

May 15, 2010
Visit site

Got a call from samsungs main office today. She got all of my information and said a rep would be calling me within 2 business day and the rep would be personally meeting me at a local retailer to swap out my phone.

Wow! That's freaking awesome. Good job Samsung.

RobSteal

Sep 1, 2016
Visit site

So they plan to do this with all the other ppl that have purchased phones thru places like Swappa/Ebay/Craigslist??? Doesn't seem really efficient or even plausible to have a Samsung Rep to accompany EVERY individual who've purchased a phone thru private parties that need a replacement.

Is this going to be the bona fide method for ppl who are in the same situation like you? Or did they make a special accommodation for you/your case? I was hoping there would be some type of mail/ship option to get your replacement phone. Was that discussed at all?

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Wow! That's freaking awesome. Good job Samsung.

Let's wait to see if that actually happens. I have placed 6 different calls to Samsung and they've told me 6 times that a manager would get back to me. Guess how many managers called me back?? ZERO. I am placing a call to the CPSC as soon as they open this morning at 8am. Unless Samsung does something quickly for me on this, they have lost a customer for life. I would imagine there are many more in the same position as us, and we are basically left hanging in the breeze.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

Well, in a last ditch effort to give Samsung another shot, once again they have dropped the ball. This time though, they flat out refused to replace my phone. They said that if I can't get it replaced from the carrier, then there is nothing they can do. I'm pretty sure it is against the law for a manufacturer to refuse replacement of a government issued recalled product. I am contacting the CPSC now to pass along that information. After I hear what they can or can't do, then I will contact a lawyer. This is a joke. I will no longer buy another Samsung product. If I ever get a new phone, I am selling it right away.

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

So they plan to do this with all the other ppl that have purchased phones thru places like Swappa/Ebay/Craigslist??? Doesn't seem really efficient or even plausible to have a Samsung Rep to accompany EVERY individual who've purchased a phone thru private parties that need a replacement.

Is this going to be the bona fide method for ppl who are in the same situation like you? Or did they make a special accommodation for you/your case? I was hoping there would be some type of mail/ship option to get your replacement phone. Was that discussed at all?

Honestly I am not sure, I will report back what happens over the following few days.

justj46671

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site

Youre gonna get tazed...I've seen it before.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site

Well, in a last ditch effort to give Samsung another shot, once again they have dropped the ball. This time though, they flat out refused to replace my phone. They said that if I can't get it replaced from the carrier, then there is nothing they can do. I'm pretty sure it is against the law for a manufacturer to refuse replacement of a government issued recalled product. I am contacting the CPSC now to pass along that information. After I hear what they can or can't do, then I will contact a lawyer. This is a joke. I will no longer buy another Samsung product. If I ever get a new phone, I am selling it right away.

Absolutely the only thing you can do for them to listen. Keep us posted.

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site

Youre gonna get tazed...I've seen it before.

LOL.

I just got a second call from Samsung's main office in Texas, she wanted to verify the color I wanted and said someone should be calling today or Monday to setup a time to personally deliver the phone.

Raymond Ian

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site

Called the number from up top and the nice lady told me to call 8006382772. they just took down my info, imei and she told my to wait for a responds.