Changing SD Card

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
This may not really belong here...but since our original purchases included a promo of SD card (or Gear) I figured I'd ask...

I still haven't gotten my SD card so I've been using the one I had in my Galaxy S7. When my new card comes in I obviously want to swap them out, but I'm thinking there might be stuff on the "old" card I don't really need anymore, and I want to make sure that what I DO need is recognized. What I mean is, when I go into a file manager my current card has a "code" in front of it which I think is an "identifier". I want to make sure that installed apps that already use my card still use it, even though the new card will have a different code. An example of this would be Podcast Addict. Do I have to remember which apps I'm using with the SD card and "redirect" them to the correct card?

I think the big things I'm concerned about retaining are my podcasts and pictures. I didn't put that many movies on the card and I don't have any music on it yet.

In looking at the SD card the "Android" folder has a LOT of stuff in the data folder. Do I want to copy that entire folder? That looks like where the bulk of my settings and what-not are stored? Again, I don't want to bring over a bunch of junk. Just like getting a new phone and the "best method" for setting it up...what's the best approach for swapping out the card? In my case I went purist on the phone itself and opted to NOT use Smart Switch, though I AM allowing download of the apps the cloud showed as being on my previous note (last change I guess was 4 days ago).

Thanks for any help.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
What I did was copy my entire old card to my new card. Going from 16GB to 256GB left me plenty of room. I did use Windows File Explorer to remove any unneeded data on my old card first - if there was a doubt on if I should save a file/folder on the old card, I saved it. Plenty of room on that 256GB... :)

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
What I did was copy my entire old card to my new card. Going from 16GB to 256GB left me plenty of room. I did use Windows File Explorer to remove any unneeded data on my old card first - if there was a doubt on if I should save a file/folder on the old card, I saved it. Plenty of room on that 256GB... :)

Did you have issues with apps that were using the memory card? I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to redirect a couple of apps...I just have to remember which ones they are.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Cool. I REALLY want my darn card. Naturally I submitted on the 19th of August and didn't even get approved until last week and it will be up to another 12 weeks after THAT before I see it...yet others BOUGHT in the store (I preordered), submitted and already had their cards a week later. I just want to throw my movie collection on there so I a) have another backup and b) can watch something other than antenna television while at my boyfriend's house (he doesn't have cable).

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
If it helps, I ordered my card on 8/27ish and received on 9/14. Hopefully they're giving you the outside time frame. I ordered my VR on 9/12 and it was just confirmed as "shipped" today. Obviously, it hasn't shipped yet (no tracking), but I think with the recall madness dying down, they'll get a little speedier fulfilling those goodie orders. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waterpig