What Will It Take For The Ban Of The Note 7 To Be Lifted?

anon(782252)

May 8, 2012
Visit site
There's no actual ban, just advisement. Just flew Southwest and no mention of the Note 7 and no one said anything to me about my phone.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
The TSA even commented that they don't have the manpower to search people for a specific type of phone. Just show them your green battery. :)

Beknatok

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
"Repaired and Replaced Devices. Recalled lithium battery powered devices that have been
repaired or have had battery components replaced as required by the recall notice are not
subject to the restrictions on recalled lithium batteries. It should be noted that it is often
difficult to distinguish products that are subject to a recall from those that are not. Many
product recalls only affect certain batches of serial numbers of the same product model. Other
recalled products carried by passengers or shipped as cargo may have already been repaired or
had the defective lithium batteries replaced. Therefore, active screening methods at the point
of acceptance or check-in may be difficult."

You can read all of the details here:

http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2016/SAFO16011.pdf

granblanco

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just flew United last Tuesday out of DC. TSA did not remark on locked pre-recall Note 7 in carry-on. Preflight, on-plane announcements both outbound and on the return mentioned that Note 7s must be powered off both on the ground and in the air. Have replaced with new Note 7 since but not flown yet.

Mdm23

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I really hate how the media drums up fear and over exaggerates. Now that all this is over, I dont see them covering the fact that Samsung has replacements out there like they covered the "so called" explosions.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Samsung is actually the one doing a lousy job with this recall. Many airlines are actually banning any and all use of Note 7 devices on airplanes. Unfortunately, this means that even if you have a "good" device following a replacement, the ban is still in effect. Try proving to the flight attendant or another official that your device is a good device.

"See the green icon - that means it is good" followed by "I'm sorry sir, the ban applies to all Note 7 devices".

I spoke to Samsung's rep today that is dealing with the exchange, and even he admitted that getting airplane bans or advisories to go away will be a challenge.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
These bans are not going away but resale value is. I read in xda folks getting replacement by mail are not being told to send in old phone. Guess what happens to some of those?

granblanco

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
There are not "banning." There are advising, and the flight attendants do not even check. Used my old Note 7 as my boarding pass last week.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
There are not "banning." There are advising, and the flight attendants do not even check. Used my old Note 7 as my boarding pass last week.
Air France last week - "Please note that use of Samsung Note 7 is forbidden on this flight. The phone must be powered down, cannot be in airplane mode, and must be stored in checked luggage". That's not an advisory. That's a ban on use. Air Canada is the same way as are several other airlines that I know. By the time all of this is said and done, the Note 7 will be the biggest flagship failure that Samsung has ever released. It's really too bad though because this was the first time that they genuinely surpassed the iPhone in design, feature set, and everything else and then this. On the flip-side, Note 8 is going to be bulletproof.

Anubis1

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I just got off a Westjet flight here in Canada and was told to power it down and not use it. I told them it was a replacement but it didn't matter. They make a note 7 announcement before take off to power them off.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I just got off a Westjet flight here in Canada and was told to power it down and not use it. I told them it was a replacement but it didn't matter. They make a note 7 announcement before take off to power them off.
Precisely the issue. This phone is going to remain perma-banned from flights for its lifecycle. Samsung either has to rebrand it, like Note 7s or something, or anybody who flies and uses this phone may as well look elsewhere.
Time. Time is what it will take. Humans and media hysteria are funny. Time will fix.
Cycle for smartphones is one year. Note 8 will be out before anyone forgets about this fiasco.

fargas0822

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
I flew all weekwnd with my replacement. Never announced for Southwest but every time for American. I didn't power it down and used it on the flight.....not one flight attendant cared. They are wayyyy to busy to be bothered with that BS

As long as you don't bring being there attention you'll be fine

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I flew all weekwnd with my replacement. Never announced for Southwest but every time for American. I didn't power it down and used it on the flight.....not one flight attendant cared. They are wayyyy to busy to be bothered with that BS

As long as you don't bring being there attention you'll be fine
Some of us actually want to follow the rules and not risk exorbitant fines. It would be much better for Samsung to work with the airlines in an intelligent way to remove the ban. Sadly, I don't see this happening.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Some of us actually want to follow the rules and not risk exorbitant fines. It would be much better for Samsung to work with the airlines in an intelligent way to remove the ban. Sadly, I don't see this happening.

This is no doubt that that Samsung is working with the airlines to remove the ban. The hurdle they face is that a lot a people still haven't turned in their defective phones.