Note 7 OTA Update - Fast Charging Disabled on recalled units!

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Samsung pulled a fast one on us Original Note 7s owners with the latest update. The fast charging has been disabled. Samsung is being sneaky by having it still say "Fast charging" on the phone. And although it says fast charging its not. I know this because of 2 observations. 1) it takes longer to charge. 2) my Anker car charger turns green when fast charging and blue when it's not. It turns green for a split second when I plug the charger into the phone until the recall notice comes up and immediately turns blue. I was wondering why it was charging so slow. Anybody else notice this?

This is for a recalled Note 7.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Lol nope. Mine still charges as fast as it did before update. No problem at all.

My original recalled Note with the OTA installed definitely has the fast charging disabled despite fast charging still indicated.
Another observation I made is when the phone was off and plugged into the Anker car charger, the green light came back on (from blue indicating it was fast charging). When the phone is on the fast charging is disabled by the OS. It was charging significantly faster at about 1%/min turned off and plugged in.

Do you still have the recalled Note 7? Is the OTA update installed? What carrier do you have? I have T-Mobile.

anon(9708869)

Banned
Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pulled a fast one on us Original Note 7s owners with the latest update. The fast charging has been disabled. Samsung is being sneaky by having it still say "Fast charging" on the phone. And although it says fast charging its not. I know this because of 2 observations. 1) it takes longer to charge. 2) my Anker car charger turns green when fast charging and blue when it's not. It turns green for a split second when I plug the charger into the phone until the recall notice comes up and immediately turns blue. I was wondering why it was charging so slow. Anybody else notice this?

Maybe you should just turn in the phone for a new one. They probably disabled it for a reason. You're lucky they don't just disable the whole phone OTA.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe he got it from Samsung.com and is waiting for them to provide a way to return or exchange it.
True.... The majority of people are not aware that the people that bought directly from Samsung.com, places like Craigslist and Swappa, are having a difficult time getting replacements..
So giving a response of "Just exchange it like you were told" isn't as simple for these people...
While the rest of us who bought through regular channels are enjoying our replacements and benefited from having loaners and extra promotion gifts. These people are still living the nightmare of holding on to a $900 device that's basically worthless to them...

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

If it is one of the original Notes, it's a good thing they disabled fast charging. As you know, fast charging heats up the phone a lot. So it increases the odds of a fire in a defective unit. I hope you can exchange yours soon. I got my replacement from T-Mobile yesterday. It was very quick and easy, and the replacement unit is working great. I had returned the original one and was using an Axon 7 in the meantime.

corvette72778

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you exchange it?

Are folks really that daft?

I got my Note 7 on craigslist. T-Mobile won't exchange it. Trying to go through Samsung but they don't have the process in place for third party exchanges. Been raising hell trying to get an exchanged unit especially since I get annoying recall pop ups and I have a first ever on a phone of mine: a scratch (thanks gg5).

Anyways it sucks not having fast charging. It's a huge feature for me. Samsung is sneaky too saying it's fast charging when it's not.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I got my Note 7 on craigslist. T-Mobile won't exchange it. Trying to go through Samsung but they don't have the process in place for third party exchanges. Been raising hell trying to get an exchanged unit especially since I get annoying recall pop ups and I have a first ever on a phone of mine: a scratch (thanks gg5).

Anyways it sucks not having fast charging. It's a huge feature for me. Samsung is sneaky too saying it's fast charging when it's not.

That really sucks. Sorry you're going through that. I have to believe that especially with the government mandating the recall, Samsung will have to replace your device for you. I wonder if it would be worth your trying to contact the US Consumer Product Safety Commission directly about it? They've mandated Samsung to replace all of these devices, and I don't think Samsung wants to get on their bad side just because you got your phone from Craigslist.

Another idea if you're not opposed to trying, is to use Twitter, and tweet about it politely calling out @SamsungMobileUS. They know that Twitter is public, and most companies respond to tweets a lot more quickly than any support call. Typically they have a separate group who has more authority than support and monitors their Twitter feed.

This has backfired on people in rare cases where they've tweeted something that was false, and very damaging to the company in question (one or two airlines have sued), but if it's accurate, there is nothing they can do. I've used Twitter for this about 3 times in the last 2 years when a company left me no option. In each case, the issue was resolved within an hour of my initial tweet. In each case I then tweeted again to thank them for resolving it so quickly.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
My original recalled Note with the OTA installed definitely has the fast charging disabled despite fast charging still indicated.
Another observation I made is when the phone was off and plugged into the Anker car charger, the green light came back on (from blue indicating it was fast charging). When the phone is on the fast charging is disabled by the OS. It was charging significantly faster at about 1%/min turned off and plugged in.

Do you still have the recalled Note 7? Is the OTA update installed? What carrier do you have? I have T-Mobile.

Yes I still have have the recalled note 7. I'm on verizon. Verizon won't let me exchange it til I pay my past due bill on Tuesday. And the OTA update is installed.

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

ROTFLMAO...if they did that, GOOD for them!!! They are probably trying to limit their liability for the 'I'm gonna do whatever I want, no matter WHAT Samsung says' crowd.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes I still have have the recalled note 7. I'm on verizon. Verizon won't let me exchange it til I pay my past due bill on Tuesday. And the OTA update is installed.

Talk about crazy. Really? Can't believe they would link an exchange to paying your bill. That's a litigation nightmare if something were to happen.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Talk about crazy. Really? Can't believe they would link an exchange to paying your bill. That's a litigation nightmare if something were to happen.

Yelp. Dude at verizon store told be they had to do the exchange as a Upgrade exchange not recall or whatever so they couldn't do it until past due was paid. Yes past due bill is on me i understand that but when it comes to a recalled phone they should exchange it regardless. That day they had my blue but watch when i pay bill Tuesday they won't lol.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Some have no choice to wait cause some carriers won't let us exchange

Samsung has asked you to power your phone off and not use it until you can swap it out, so from their perspective you shouldn't even notice these changes. I realize that it's not convenient for everybody to follow Samsung's request, but look at the bright side: at least they didn't brick your phone.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Samsung has asked you to power your phone off and not use it until you can swap it out, so from their perspective you shouldn't even notice these changes. I realize that it's not convenient for everybody to follow Samsung's request, but look at the bright side: at least they didn't brick your phone.

Obviously I know that lol. I could care less about these changes cause this shouldn't effect me on new note 7. Shoot mine hasn't changed at all like OP has. I think Samsung should brick the phones that haven't been replaced after all the replacement have been sent out. Mine should have been replaced the first time I've tried regardless of pay due bill. But that what i get for having a past due bill and a carrier that only cares more about money that its customers. If i didn't have the best service with verizon version I would switch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC