a way to mark notifications as read?

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Many times I'll get a short SMS or IM I can read in the notification bar, and would like to just swipe it away and have it acknowledge it has been read. However as things are, you can only swipe it away. It does not mark as read and/or reset the unread counter on whatever platform it is that it belongs to. Same deal on emails. Sometimes I know what it is just by looking at the subject and don't need to actually read the email.

Is there a way to do this? It seems like a pretty basic/obvious feature to me, but apparently not so much.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
With the galaxy phones, you can pull down the quick menu and clear notifications from there.... Not sure what device you have...

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed that only Samsung messaging app allows you to mark as read. But you have to tap the mark as read when the notification message first arrive. If not, then you can only swipe away and it will still be marked as unread.

the block

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
Meh, I was hoping for a catch all app to add the functionality. I want it to work like this for sms, fb messenger, hangouts, whatsapp, email, etc etc etc. Oh well, maybe in a future update.