Who uses or cares about the LED notification?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
On my old phones before there were AODs and the Motorola active display I relied on the LED to tell if I had any messages. ON this phone with the AOD I'm not sure why it's even there and feel like I ought to just disable it as its kind of redundant and there is better info on the AOD. It might be a little more useful if I could control the color of it from within each app. I have no idea what it's random colors mean.

What's everyone else's experience and thoughts on it?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not everyone uses the AOD and the LED is a lot more recognizable further away than the AOD. That said, you are right - without being able to control what apps use what color it ends up being a bit useless if you have no idea what the color stands for. Thankfully, some apps allow you to choose the color so it makes it a little helpful. I now can recognize if the led it telling me I have a text message, a snapchat message (the only app I have that uses yellow), have e-mail or if it's charging or done charging. I do like the LED - I hope they don't get rid of it.

Xposed was great when my phones were rooted.

Harry Dunn

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
The LED notification light is one of the main reasons I switched from an iPhone! Ever since I had my first blackberry I loved notification lights... You could also use Lightflow to have a different color for certain notifications

juergen99

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Years ago I used the app "Light Flow - LED Control". It is still around and I recently set it up on my N7 but really haven't paid much attention to it. I use it mainly for missed calls and texts. Actually I really use it for the repeat vibrate function (my phone is mostly on vibrate and I routinely miss calls / vibrations). When I installed it, the app suggested using the "Legacy" addition for Samsung Android 6 phones.

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
As KupKrazy stated, you can see it from a distance - I use it for email and text message only. If it's flashing, I know I have one and it's worth walking over to the phone... simple as that!

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm using lightflow and it is great. You will need the legacy version. I wanted a green LED for texts and prefer/like the stock messenger which defaults to blue, and I wanted red for calendar events. Even better... You can set different notifications for different Google Now information. I have a car horn for "time to leave", etc. It's a very robust program and no root required.

Devil13n

Apr 21, 2012
Visit site
The LED notification light is one of the main reasons I switched from an iPhone! Ever since I had my first blackberry I loved notification lights... You could also use Lightflow to have a different color for certain notifications

This

The AOD doesn't show all notifications. Saves me from turning on the phone to see what the notifications is/who it's from. Saves battery. Love it!

chyeo1979

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
On my old phones before there were AODs and the Motorola active display I relied on the LED to tell if I had any messages. ON this phone with the AOD I'm not sure why it's even there and feel like I ought to just disable it as its kind of redundant and there is better info on the AOD. It might be a little more useful if I could control the color of it from within each app. I have no idea what it's random colors mean.

What's everyone else's experience and thoughts on it?

You need to look at the AOD to actually see if there's any notification. But imagine your phone is across the room or a few feet away from you, the LED can notify you of notification where your AOD can't.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I prefer LED instead of always on. In spite of the amoled display, having it on drains 45 minutes during the day for my use. IMO, not worth it.

In regards to the MXPE, besides the battery draining GPU and navigation bar wasting 15% of the display for a lot of apps, I did not like not having the LED.

Always on with the MXPE is a battery killer.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Looks like having the led light gives choices. Maybe Samsung should give control options, use, don't use, use for certain apps, night setting where won't use led light at set hours. Customization, the concept of Android.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
A feature I loved on my Note 7. One reason I won't buy a Moto Force