Recall not honored by AT&T

Collin Bell

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Had my Note 7 replaced about a week before the recall due to it being shipped with about 20 dead pixels. Been calling my ATT store since the recall and they haven't had any available. Finally had an authorized retail store with some and after waiting over half an hour to speak with someone, was told they couldn't do it because I had it replaced already at a corporate store. I'm in disbelief that I had to leave the store with a phone that is banned by the FAA, is under gov't recall, and every time I go to charge it it tells me to power it off due to fire and burn risk while they had a new safe one sitting right there on the table. They only reason they couldn't due it is because of an "inventory issue". They better hope my phone doesn't blow because then they're going to have a "lawsuit issue" because they are now 100% liable for this.

Jewels81

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Had my Note 7 replaced about a week before the recall due to it being shipped with about 20 dead pixels. Been calling my ATT store since the recall and they haven't had any available. Finally had an authorized retail store with some and after waiting over half an hour to speak with someone, was told they couldn't do it because I had it replaced already at a corporate store. I'm in disbelief that I had to leave the store with a phone that is banned by the FAA, is under gov't recall, and every time I go to charge it it tells me to power it off due to fire and burn risk while they had a new safe one sitting right there on the table. They only reason they couldn't due it is because of an "inventory issue". They better hope my phone doesn't blow because then they're going to have a "lawsuit issue" because they are now 100% liable for this.

I'm not with AT&T I'm with verizon but that is bs (not you, the situation). If it is under recall (obviously it is if you getting the recall message when you charge or turn phone on) they should replace it. I would say screw it and have it done over the phone with customer service not the store. I gave up on my store and I did it thru customer service. They shipping my replacement blue coral by the 12th. I hooe you get this sorted out.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Recall not honored by AT&T

IMO, You have been notified, your phone tells you everytime you plug it in it is unsafe, stop using it is what the government and Samsung both have said. You are ignoring all warnings and still using it. IMO, you would lose a lawsuit, now using a old note 7 is at your risk.

With that said, they should have replaced the phone if that's where you purchased it. But that doesn't justify a lawsuit if you continue to use it knowing the risks. Sue them now for not replacing it, but stop using it immediately.

Collin Bell

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site

I would stop using it if I had the option to but I don't. My day to day life at work and school requires me to use a cell phone and I have made multiple attempts to see if the phone is available and have physically walked into a store and was denied a replacement phone when they had one. I have done my part to participate in the recall and they have not, they are now liable.
IMO the entire recall process should be handled through Samsung.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

I would stop using it if I had the option to but I don't. My day to day life at work and school requires me to use a cell phone and I have made multiple attempts to see if the phone is available and have physically walked into a store and was denied a replacement phone when they had one. I have done my part to participate in the recall and they have not, they are now liable.
IMO the entire recall process should be handled through Samsung.
I agree, Samsung should of handled the recall, but reading the Samsung. Com recall post, they have been worse. But some are raking it in. They get a replacement and then they get shipping notification of another one coming. Some have reported getting 3 phones sent to them. So Samsung isn't handling the recall very good either, not to mention everyone is cashing in on 2 to 3 promo offers thru this recall. Samsung Said this recall was going to cost them 1 billion, I have a feeling it will double that cost because of poor management of the recall process.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm still waiting for Tmobile to refund me my Note 7 still! I returned it for an S7 edge and had to basically purchase the Edge and wait for my refund for my Note 7. So basically it's like I own two phones right now. I'm supposed to have the full refund by the 11th, nearly 1 month since I originally returned the Note 7.

That is BS though. I would reach out to some local news reports about your issue as well and see if they would like to do a story about att store refusing to swap a recalled device. I'm sure you would be getting a new one sent pronto to you.

Collin Bell

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
If the corporate store doesn't get any in stock within the next week and I'm not able to replace it that is definitely an option. My dad has actually worked at at all three local TV stations and would be able to get at least one to run the story. Though the asst manager at the corporate store gave me her card with her cell phone on it and I've experienced good costumer assistance with her before so I'm sure it won't come to that.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

Unless I am missing something. Your issue is NOT with ATT, but with the ownership/mgmt of the authorized retail store. Authorized retail stores are not owned or operated by ATT. They (guessing) were saving stock for their customers who previously purchased their device with them. Point is, authorized retailers should meet guidelines provided by ATT. But they are completely independent. Much the same as a Chevrolet dealership is not a direct extension of General Motors. They have guidelines to meet, but do act independently.

Collin Bell

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
They represent the ATT brand though. ATT should have policies set up where the store could have replaced the device for me. They're not even able to transfer their inventory to the corporate store and with a situation like this where there are extreme safety concerns there should of been a way for it to work out. How is it that one of the biggest tech companies doesn't have a way to transfer inventory in there system between corporate and authorized retail stores?

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
They represent the ATT brand though. ATT should have policies set up where the store could have replaced the device for me. They're not even able to transfer their inventory to the corporate store and with a situation like this where there are extreme safety concerns there should of been a way for it to work out. How is it that one of the biggest tech companies doesn't have a way to transfer inventory in there system between corporate and authorized retail stores?

Representing a brand vs being the brand are two different things.
The same as transferring inventory. The stores are separately owned.
The same as car dealerships I mentioned. They cannot transfer inventory either.
The stores have to work out a deal that is a buy/sell to cover financial ends even though they may dub it a dealer trade.

I understand you just want to get this done & over with. But your argument still remains with the ownership/mgmt of the authorized retail outlet. Not ATT.
Btw, am not blindly defending ATT. Just you are finding one of the main differences between working with a corporate store vs authorized retailer.
This same scenario can apply to most every industry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781